Comp Mode (we need your input again)

Comments

• SSKbartSSKbart Posts: 125Player
    edited June 2015
    Just to clarify. This is about a tournament mode, or just a standard ruleset for a public game mode? Or a combination.
    As what we mainly need in comp now is possibilities to discard and restart rounds without having to load the map again. Also setup rounds before the match starts. A lot of time is wasted atm in restarting the map due to 1 guy crashing.
    Furthermore, admins also should be able to change roundtime and #rounds while in game as well.
    SNLSTB.Bart^
  • SoldierBobSoldierBob Posts: 76Player
    edited June 2015
    We started with Hardcore mode, then we recently tried to revise it into a "Classic Mode".

We've decided to go with a full "Comp Mode" instead. We used rules from the ESL ruleset, and server settings.

We are also adding in a few admin commands like the ability to throw out a round, pause match, and turn off auto-balance / set teams. (This list subject to change / shrink / expand)

Now is the time to give us your final input on this mode before it gets locked in for release.

Its for official public servers, 1st post tells you all you need to know :)

It will replace hardcore mode. Now you either get to play public "hold your hand" normal style with all thebells and whistles or a more comp oriented style, barebones with dumbed down features and what looks to become a less overall player count, not sure about that change. Good for scrim practice maybe?

Personally I don't think it will take off, but who knows, maybe I will be wrong :)

Private server admins will still have freedom to setup however they want, depends on your preference, where or how you like to play.

I dont think there should be any split in game, it only promotes a divided playerbase. I would prefer a "1 size fit all" approach in an official capacity, none of this 2 modes or 6v6 12v12, comp/pub nonsense. The only time the game should be different is private servers doing what they want with their own servers.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited June 2015
    How is this mode any bad or dividing the player base? The player base is already divided when it comes to FLO and BDX kinda. Besides that everything is still gonna be pub and on top of it that mode will be very useful for everyone who wants to play comp because you can finally set the match score, discard rounds and don't even have worry about server settings too much.

It's just 2 gamemodes while other modern games usually come with a pub mode and a ranked/comp mode (and it's working on those games).
  • iNv|mikEy2kiNv|mikEy2k Posts: 96Player
    The No ROE scares me. If this is a public server that anyone can join, were bound to have some troll abuse it.
  • SoldierBobSoldierBob Posts: 76Player
    edited June 2015
    cK^KILL@ wrote: »
    How is this mode any bad or dividing the player base? The player base is already divided when it comes to FLO and BDX kinda. Besides that everything is still gonna be pub and on top of it that mode will be very useful for everyone who wants to play comp because you can finally set the match score, discard rounds and don't even have worry about server settings too much.

It's just 2 gamemodes while other modern games usually come with a pub mode and a ranked/comp mode (and it's working on those games).

If there were thousands of players playing all the time, like they do in modern games then yes, it would make sense to split the game into different modes, but there are not. The FLO/BDX thing is silly as it's already two modes, so now we get three.

Lets see how it goes, its looking like they have at least a few people who will make use of the comp mode, keep the passion you will need it to sit in empty servers :)
    I think this mode will just replace the BDX pub servers we have now and on top of that have useful features for comp matches.
  • SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    Hey TheToots!

You should think about possibility to drop the nades/flashes/smokes and let it be picked by teammates during the match. The same as it used to be in AA2.
    Hey TheToots!

You should think about possibility to drop the nades/flashes/smokes and let it be picked by teammates during the match. The same as it used to be in AA2.

Rewarding a player/team for not utilizing his equipment before his death? Bad idea imo.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    The No ROE scares me. If this is a public server that anyone can join, were bound to have some troll abuse it.

True, but we do have a more robust vote kick system now to get them out of the game.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    How is the no roe different tHan what we have now? .. don't see it abused much on 6v6

Tournament/ matchmaking mode (IF it ever comes) - 5v5
    pub comp mode - 6v6
    and obviously normal 12v12

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    edited June 2015
    5v5 is the standard, keep it that way.
    montana! wrote: »
    Dragon is getting sentimental on us...
    I have a tell tale heart.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • =IK=montana!=IK=montana! Posts: 34Player
    I really like the idea of an 8 v 8 option. I would be a lot more likely to join the FLO servers. I avoid 12 v 12 servers for the simple fact that 24 people, no matter the map size, gets to taking longer than my ADD brain can handle....(and of course its all about me..errrr...nvm). :blush:
    Ignorance allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. - James Baldwin
  • [1stCav]QuePasa^[1stCav]QuePasa^ Posts: 38Player
    +1 for tidididi's idea. It would effect in more careful nade use and less spamnades coming in the first seconds.
    -
    Disabling voip after death is.. not a great idea if you play with randoms. How would it promote teamwork? :P Yeah, 5v5/8v8/12v12 seems fine!
    -
    Also think about some cosmetic stuff, like changing the team's name (not this silly Alpha/Bravo). The ability to assign each person in the team a different colour'd help as well (displayed on the map).
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I really like the idea of an 8 v 8 option. I would be a lot more likely to join the FLO servers. I avoid 12 v 12 servers for the simple fact that 24 people, no matter the map size, gets to taking longer than my ADD brain can handle....(and of course its all about me..errrr...nvm). :blush:

true, id like to try 8v8 on both FLO and BDX maps.. might work! but 12v12 just gets boring for taking so long and very random which is also not fun

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • =IK=montana!=IK=montana! Posts: 34Player
    I don't think that the names of the teams are pertinent in any way, really. Am I missing something there? Alpha/Bravo seem appropriate in a game developed by the Army...just my opinion.

I don't know how anyone is against disabling VOIP for the dead? Dead people can't talk. Were we talking about disabling VOIP so dead players can't even talk amongst themselves? I guess maybe I am missing something yet again... If that is the case, I have to say I am against that as well. It is still a game, after all...
    Ignorance allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. - James Baldwin
  • SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    edited June 2015
    cK^KILL@ wrote: »
    Rewarding a player/team for not utilizing his equipment before his death? Bad idea imo.

Remember. You are new. It is not about not utilizing the equipment, it is about tactic.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    edited June 2015
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »

true, id like to try 8v8 on both FLO and BDX maps.. might work! but 12v12 just gets boring for taking so long and very random which is also not fun

yes I also think 8v8 should be an option for all maps.. and these servers shouldn't auto-change to 12v12.
    It should be up to the player if he wants to play 8v8 or 12v12 or comp mode 5vs5. Back in the aa2 days we didn't have hard limits however things pretty much ended up being 8v8 (example river basin), 12v12 (example pipeline) and 4v4 (comp).
    Oh well.
  • [1stCav]QuePasa^[1stCav]QuePasa^ Posts: 38Player
    I don't think that the names of the teams are pertinent in any way, really. Am I missing something there? Alpha/Bravo seem appropriate in a game developed by the Army...just my opinion.

I don't know how anyone is against disabling VOIP for the dead? Dead people can't talk. Were we talking about disabling VOIP so dead players can't even talk amongst themselves? I guess maybe I am missing something yet again... If that is the case, I have to say I am against that as well. It is still a game, after all...

1) If we play clan vs clan this'd be a nice feature. Not mandatory though :P
    2) Dead teammate could be helpful in many instances. Most of the time the first one to die has a role in the team. Also, more experienced players can coordinate those players that are still alive and.. don't know what to do with themselves (as it happens so often on BDX 6v6 ).

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    There are a handful of reasons I support dead<->alive communication for this mode. Keep players inside the system, improve player engagement, and promote good social behaviors.

Clans are going to use TS to communicate after death no matter what. Nothing's going to stop that. So what happens when a team has 3 clanmates and 2 other guys playing? The clanmates chat amongst themselves in their third-party service (because it offers the extra functionality the game's missing) and the other two guys miss out on all that communication. Keeping players inside the game's system encourages communication.

I've also seen cases where the dead guys talk amongst themselves and criticize the last alive guy's moves. If you know they can hear you, there's more social pressure against being overly critical. It's fun when it's a clan vs clan match and everybody's friends; it's less fun when it's new players being ragged on by 30-honors.

There are routinely new players that don't pick up on the "they can hear me while I'm waiting to be revived, but not once I'm secured/dead-dead". I've heard players keep on making calls long after they're not helping their teammates. Letting that player continue to feel engaged by communicating with the alive guys is good.

Now, in 12v12, I think this could just make for too much noise/clutter. For comparison, the CSGO model is dead chat enabled for 5v5 competitive, dead chat disabled for 10v10 casual.
  • .dcG-Vortex^.dcG-Vortex^ Posts: 188Player
    edited June 2015
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    How is the no roe different tHan what we have now? .. don't see it abused much on 6v6

Tournament/ matchmaking mode (IF it ever comes) - 5v5
    pub comp mode - 6v6
    and obviously normal 12v12

Comp Server - 5v5
    BDX Server - 6v6
    FLO Server - 8v8

Where's 12v12? Gone. Forever. At least it should be. There is no reason to have that many people running around a map... I think even 10v10 in CS:GO is too many.

Also tournament mode, what do you say tots?
    -
    edit:
    I think that the public comp servers should be as close as possible to ESL rules. If I were a new player to the game who wants to get into the competitive scene I'm going straight for comp servers. I'll focus on strats and play, and try to learn as much as I can in hopes a team picks me up. What happens when I learn 6v6 strats and play a 5v5? gg rekt.
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......