Opt-In Beta Audio and You!

Comments

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    I just got caught totally off-guard on Red Line. Gun fight happened no more than 5 feet away from me to my left, but sounded like it was across the map. Very bizarre
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Couldn't that explanation be applied to all sound and so eliminate the need for it?
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Soundy wrote: »
    Open AL is no longer supported with Unreal engine. So even if the engine has 3D coordinate info available per sound source, that information is no longer utilized anywhere else. Unfortunately, the power of your awesome dedicated Creative Labs PC hardware has been negated by the advent of tons of CPU power, audio software mixing and hybrid development solutions for all gaming platforms. For example, when you build audio in WWISE, now you have output options for PC, xbox one, xbox 360, ps4, etc. and you don't need any additional tools.

As mentioned previously in another response, we are working with a new technology to enhance directional dimensional audio. To elaborate a little further, it acts like CMSS 3d, but works as an addition to our new software audio mixer WWISE. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Soundy look forward to the results and excited to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    edited April 2015
    BCPull wrote: »
    I just got caught totally off-guard on Red Line. Gun fight happened no more than 5 feet away from me to my left, but sounded like it was across the map. Very bizarre

Spend a bit more time playing Pull, and let me know if you run into more scenarios with the same effect in different maps.

Pay particular attention to the location or separations of locations... Inside vs. Outside, Rooms, Hallways that end or 90, etc.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Things I've noticed so far through 2 and half matches.

1. Footsteps can be silent in some parts of the map, or at certain random times during the round.
    2. Directional/Surround is off sometimes you where hear someone reloading and think it's coming from a certain area but its not. For example: Crossfire I heard a guy reloading and it sounded like it was coming from outside the map where no one can be.
    3. Sometimes the sounds will get a muffled. For example: In 1v1 gun fight the sounds will be very low, then all the sudden they will be very loud/normal again.
    4. Overall sound is better when it is working but for some reason it is not always working correctly. The first match I played this morning on Red Line was completely fine, then I come home and start playing again and sound is all broken, I'd say 75% of the time maybe more. But the first match this morning i played like 10 rounds or more I did not have any issues. So I am very confused atm.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

.sauce wrote: »
    Couldn't that explanation be applied to all sound and so eliminate the need for it?

eliminate the need for what?

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    edited April 2015
    Dont know how to describe it correct but the gunsound "feels" like it gives you extra-recoil :)

Also i think moving in general is too stealthy....what should i say...ok,i dislike the current sound-period

The "situational awareness" isnt given at all for me if you understand what i mean.I know it will change till release but i opted out because i cant stand the current soundsetup.Its like playing without sound.....
    AAPG is good!
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    Alright. So audio is really important and I did a few rounds.

First, the sound is very much like AA3. It's flaky and weak. Guns are loud washes out everything else. Footsteps are loud enough, but I think they should be a touch louder, or less environment. When I say less, I mean less noise sources. It's overwhelming sometimes if multiple sources go off at once.

The audio should be filling and not weak as it is. Footsteps sounds like you're using dress shoes to walk around. I am going to guess all the EAX effect is playing a part on how the audio sounds to us. If you want a comparison between NEW and OLD sounds I can do so, and you will understand what I mean by the sound being stronger/weaker.

I am really getting the AA3 vibe.
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.

First, the sound is very much like AA3. It's flaky and weak. Guns are loud washes out everything else. Footsteps are loud enough, but I think they should be a touch louder, or less environment. When I say less, I mean less noise sources. It's overwhelming sometimes if multiple sources go off at once.

The audio should be filling and not weak as it is. Footsteps sounds like you're using dress shoes to walk around. I am going to guess all the EAX effect is playing a part on how the audio sounds to us. If you want a comparison between NEW and OLD sounds I can do so, and you will understand what I mean by the sound being stronger/weaker.

Are you saying you liked the audio as it was in the beta before Opt-In?

Flatlander wrote: »
    Dont know how to describe it correct but the gunsound "feels" like it gives you extra-recoil :)

Also i think moving in general is too stealthy....what should i say...ok,i dislike the current sound-period

The "situational awareness" isnt given at all for me if you understand what i mean.I know it will change till release but i opted out because i cant stand the current soundsetup.Its like playing without sound.....

Thank you for your time and feedback Flatlander.
  • DeltaKiloDeltaKilo Posts: 146Developer
    BCPull wrote: »

Did the fight happen on the other side of several walls? The new system will dampen sound if there is stuff between you and the sound that would block it.
    Spend a bit more time playing Pull, and let me know if you run into more scenarios with the same effect in different maps.

Pay particular attention to the location or separations of locations... Inside vs. Outside, Rooms, Hallways that end or 90, etc.
    Will do. In the posted example, it was the landing at the top of the subway stairs on Red Line.

Headphones were set for 5.1 in Windows, wearing Sennheiser 363D, no extra processing.
  • |fte|BUZZ.liteBeer|fte|BUZZ.liteBeer Posts: 16Player
    I opted in to check it out, only played intercept so far but as far as the sound, I feel it took a huge step back from the original beta for AAPG. I think the weapons sound far more unrealistic than they did. The sound and graphics seem more 'bland' than they did, before everything popped out at you, in it's first day, it seems to be held back. Another thing that could use a change, is the font, in the launcher, game, everything.

Just my $.02, all in all it's a marvelous FPS. I think it's come a long way so far, look forward to see what comes next!
    DeltaKilo wrote: »
    Did the fight happen on the other side of several walls? The new system will dampen sound if there is stuff between you and the sound that would block it.

Nope! When I turned, I had direct line of sight to both of them. He commented on how odd it was that I took such a long time to turn around -- his footsteps sounded closer than the gunshots; they prompted me looking over.
    playing again on overload and all the sounds are fine...very strange

• |fte|BUZZ.liteBeer|fte|BUZZ.liteBeer Posts: 16Player

I AM! :) The guns had more 'POP' to their sound before, which is far more realistic..
    playing again on overload and all the sounds are fine...very strange

The way that the environmental effects respond to in game sounds works differently in WWISE than it did in XAudio2. We are still working on mixing things down per each map. It can make things seem louder and quieter if there are imbalances. Thanks for the heads up Colts.
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player

The audio delivers very well on separation of environments a la EAX EFFECTS. inside it reverbs and so on. Flashes when popped in the vicinity to you sounds almost across the map. Grenades kept the same sound from open beta so it's nice.

As I mentioned before too much environment. I don't care for the loud annoying airplanes just to give the game a better feel. As a comp player all I care about is knowing where my enemy is. I can't hear players coming or going half the time. Before I could really hear foots steps, now I hear environment, guns, airplanes and barely ever notice the enemy approaching me.

This is my opinion on comp aspect. Less environment, stronger step sound, little EAX effects. The rest of my beef is with GUI, but sounds gives the feel to everything else, and it's giving an AA3 feel which was the reason why I didn't play AA3.

[TOS Violation], OPEN BETA audio samples with better directional and rollover. That would be a good fix.

Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
    Objective sounds like C4 beeping when planted shouldn't be tied into UI imo should be part of the core.

edited April 2015

The audio delivers very well on separation of environments a la EAX EFFECTS. inside it reverbs and so on. Flashes when popped in the vicinity to you sounds almost across the map. Grenades kept the same sound from open beta so it's nice.

As I mentioned before too much environment. I don't care for the loud annoying airplanes just to give the game a better feel. As a comp player all I care about is knowing where my enemy is. I can't hear players coming or going half the time. Before I could really hear foots steps, now I hear environment, guns, airplanes and barely ever notice the enemy approaching me.

This is my opinion on comp aspect. Less environment, stronger step sound, little EAX effects. The rest of my beef is with GUI, but sounds gives the feel to everything else, and it's giving an AA3 feel which was the reason why I didn't play AA3.

[TOS Violation], OPEN BETA audio samples with better directional and rollover. That would be a good fix.

Thank you for your descriptiveness and constructive feedback roKis.
This discussion has been closed.