Audio Question for the Community

2»

Comments

• CoverluxCoverlux Posts: 26Player
    edited June 2015
    The game "Squad" (still pre-alpha). The devs of Squad made the awesome mod Project Reality for BF2, which has pretty good sounds as well...considering the limitations of the old engine.
    I also like Tripwire Interactive..they are very serious about their gun sounds...so I heard. Killing Floor 2 has some modern guns.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited June 2015
    Been a long time since I had bf3 installed, did a quick twitch on it and [TOS Violation] those sounds are nice! Love the bullets zipping by sounds the long range echo and how crisp the guns sound..excellent stuff.

That being said, I don't mind the current enemy gun sounds, the rpk sounds bad bum, the RK sounds sweet too. Problem is the M4 is the most used gun in the game so if it sounds poorly which it does it will reflect negatively on the overall game... which it does.

As far as footsteps go, I don't get why the change from optin3? I though that was the best one for directional also. Obviously the adition to z axis would change everything. ..why is it not implemented?

Proper sounds on textures is also important, but the problem here is consistency, that's not the part that's killing it for me. Just like small overall game bugs... for the most part, I can deal with them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • SumTingWong?SumTingWong? Posts: 79Player
    Why not keep the sound we use now in the beta?
    2n8rncy.png
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Why not keep the sound we use now in the beta?

Because it's bad.
  • CaterPCaterP Posts: 190Developer
    I have trouble expressing how frustrating the whole process has been when it comes to getting Z-axis directional audio for us.

We had, at one time, a third-party plugin which allowed Z-axis audio direction. However it proved unreliable and unstable as player count went up. After much back-and-forth with the vendor we decided to go a different direction. There are several good plugins we are currently evaluating.

So that is where that is.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    Where is Direct 3D sound when you need it....
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 455Player
    I have trouble expressing how frustrating the whole process has been when it comes to getting Z-axis directional audio for us.

We had, at one time, a third-party plugin which allowed Z-axis audio direction. However it proved unreliable and unstable as player count went up. After much back-and-forth with the vendor we decided to go a different direction. There are several good plugins we are currently evaluating.

Sometimes we just want to hear a dev say they are just as frustrated (if not more) with certain parts of the game as we are. It acknowledges the problem and quite honestly it lets me know you're working hard on it.

So... about that supported strafe...
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited June 2015

Ah ok make senses now. I hope our posts are not coming off as rude we don't know the behind the scenes :wink:

Sometimes we just want to hear a dev say they are just as frustrated (if not more) with certain parts of the game as we are. It acknowledges the problem and quite honestly it lets me know you're working hard on it.

So... about that supported strafe...

love it

Also want to add the near and far sounds should be more way more clearer I don't know if it was better in opt4 but in past optin's a lot of people were complaining about someone either sounding like they were far away but were really close and vice versa...sounding like they were close but were really far away...is that another type of axis? Also shhfiftyfive pointed out another thing I want to point out as well is it feels like sounds are competing with each other and drown each other out, this is fine if I get hit by a grenade or I am flashed. But it seems to happen all the time. Also the ambient should not be competing with other sounds it should be just there like in real life and not drowning other sounds out. Like if a car goes by as your walking down the street you can still hear your surroundings the sound of the car going by is just added to all things your hearing overall.

your game's audio design should be rewarding, interactive experience, that blends effortlessly into the gameplay, graphics, and other components of the game.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• -vortex-vortex Posts: 188Player
    If you have a complain about sounds overlapping, which ones would you like turned down?

cB1r1aY.png
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    you mean like the double heartbeat? :p

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    I find it really disappointing this question has to be asked at this point in time.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    I agree with shhfifty. The sounds are too muffled. The sounds, isolated (or rather itself) I am okay with, but it is hard to pin point the source of them.

BF3/4 manages to use sound correctly in my opinion (though I do find some of it too loud and distorted at times).

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Personally I think there are 2 things that make asking for examples of other games irrelevant as your engine would produce significantly better results.

First. Turn off the post processing stuff. Nail down the gun sounds and directional audio. Then add the post processing once you know things are solid.

Second. If you are going to simulate anything simulate a person's ability to predict/feel their own sounds and so ignore them. It's like I'm walking around surprised by the explosions of my own footsteps. I have no idea if I made that footstep or the guy 5 feet from me did. It's a simple concept really. I can both hear and feel the noises I make. Feeling them means it's easy to discern my sounds from those around me. That feeling doesn't exist in an FPS. The simple logical solution is to lower the volume of my sounds to make up for that problem.

I am highly confident these 2 changes will positively impact the response to the new engine. It's good, it's just running before it walks. My 2 cents.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    .sauce wrote: »
    First. Turn off the post processing stuff. Nail down the gun sounds and directional audio. Then add the post processing once you know things are solid..

Most important thing...Should of been done like this it wasn't.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• veek.borgveek.borg Posts: 36Player
    I think its all good, just put the game out already !!! A lot of people like me add tunes anway so its really not a big deal !!! its just a training game anyway, who cares, turn up the tunes and fire up the saw and wait for the next version. Anyway do paint ball guns even sound like real guns, I never fired a simution so I wouldnt know !!! like I said who cares, just crank up ACDC and blast away !!! B)
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    well all has been said about distinctive sounds, sound positioning (specially z-axis and radius) and I agree with them.

This is more cosmetic issue but I would like to add +1 to Insurgency Sound Effects. Specially under suppression the feel very real, and weapon sounds in that game are very immersive.

• SumTingWong?SumTingWong? Posts: 79Player
    Coverlux wrote: »
    The game "Squad" (still pre-alpha). The devs of Squad made the awesome mod Project Reality for BF2, which has pretty good sounds as well...considering the limitations of the old engine.
    I also like Tripwire Interactive..they are very serious about their gun sounds...so I heard. Killing Floor 2 has some modern guns.

This +1

Check the forum on www.joinsquad.com
    They put in some real nice weapon sound.
    2n8rncy.png