Linux coming ?

vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 269Player
Are we gonna have a linux version anytime soon?
AA2 veteran player / fanboy

Comments

• Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 365Moderator
    there is no timeframe, so soon? wouldn't count on it
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    That would be the coolest thing in the world! I am mostly on my Linux machine. I only come back to Windows to play AA:PG, Star Citizen and Battlefield. It would be nice if one of my favorite FPS games had a port on Linux so I can stay longer on it.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • DeltaKiloDeltaKilo Posts: 146Developer
    We are actively working on the Mac/Linux version, so they are on the horizon.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It would be nice to know who the real linux / mac pros are in the community. Those versions will need testing too ya know!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 628Moderator
    I've got a Linux dual boot setup, plus Ubuntu on an Oracle VM on windows. Hardly a pro, but I can work my way through most of the time.
    edited June 2015
    DeltaKilo wrote: »
    We are actively working on the Mac/Linux version, so they are on the horizon.
    Now I've even more excited! Will it be open to everyone like it is now or will it be a closed beta like experience?
    _
    Getting stoked! B)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 269Player
    Great! Thanks for the heads up !
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,017Moderator
    I probably wont play games on my linux box, a dualcore pentium and no video card isnt exactly a monster :D
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • MadScientist42MadScientist42 Posts: 1Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    It would be nice to know who the real linux / mac pros are in the community. Those versions will need testing too ya know!

Heh... I think the pros wandered off a bit ago when the support was withdrawn. Having said this, I'm tickled to see you guys are looking at providing it again (It was fun when it was supported...). If you run into problems ping me- I've done numerous Linux title ports (Not as many as Ryan Gordon did, but...) and I can help make sure it runs gracefully on more than a couple of platforms without much effort or concern on your parts.
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    I just read about this solid confirmation on Phoronix; beside the disappointments this is really a welcome news,
    to which I am thankful. I am far away from being a pro, but I will help you with testing this client on a Debian stable installation. Futhermore I am wondering if this confirmation means that we are also getting a linux server.
    Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
    eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    *.nix is for business and appliances ...... move along.

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 550Beta Tester
    edited July 2015
    One of my old clanmates almost got AAPG working under Linux. The only thing he needed and could not get was Internet Explorer. http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14171
    He is not active anymore. But I think a Linux version is not as impossible as it sounds.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,017Moderator
    One of my old clanmates almost got AAPG working under Linux. The only thing he needed and could not get was Internet Explorer. http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14171
    In this topic he was basically told by the others to p*ss off... :( He is not active anymore. But I think a Linux version is not as impossible as it sounds.
    No, its not impossible, for the client you need a different render api as direct x cant be used on linux, the engine it self is linux compatible.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    edited July 2015
    He is not active anymore. But I think a Linux version is not as impossible as it sounds.
    Yes I tried it via wine too, it seems to be related to the launcher dependencies.
    Bam4D wrote: »
    It can serve as secure and viable desktop for private persons as well. The only big problem are games and some specific multimedia hardware. Many games run very well in wine, I played nearly the complete of Dead Space 2 in wine or some Command & Conquer session too.
    -
    Last but not least its open source; and since our society and its administration processes are getting more and more depended on software, it is even more important that the citizens are able to take look into the code of the software which administrating their data.
    Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
    eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !
  • 12ampage12ampage Posts: 64Player
    I've for a 2014 MacBook pro, i7, 16gb ram id be happy to test on. Also have several Linux servers I could test on.
  • r3pekr3pek Posts: 1Player
    TheTots wrote: »

YES!!!!! How [TOS Violation] cool is this?! I've been waiting for this for a long time! Well, since you guys stopped with the Linux version tbh. I use Linux only for 15 years and AA was one of the games I played the most back in the day when there was very few linux games.... I even still keep it on my Steam library just in case :P

Anyway, if you need anything, shoot it here :)
  • Death_IncarnateDeath_Incarnate Posts: 2Player
    I am more than willing to test the Linux client. I use Linux and Windows on both my Desktop and Laptop.
    For a Linux Renderer API, I recommend jumping on the Vulkan API bandwagon. Linux Kernel 4.x has/will-have Vulkan API support built in. It is after all the Open Source rival of DX12.
    I know the thread is old (by 33 days) but I didn't think it was necessary to create a new thread about it. Since the game has reached released, I wanted to know "What about Linux?"? I really don't like loading into Windows if I can help it, and it would be awesome if there was a great FPS for Linux like AA:PG. It might help improve the community.

So, are there any updates on the Linux version? Anything to get my hopes up? :)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
  • HesedielHesediel Posts: 17Player
    I really would love a linux version. I as others run windows only for play AAPG if a linux version can be avaiable i will paly on it, because for other my stuff i think linux is a better option. Also there's steam on linux come on, please
  • Bam4D wrote: »

Valve doesn't seem to think so.