freezing

Comments

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    .sauce wrote: »
    frankof wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note, when I went back to the regular beta last night I was too lazy to close out the game once I opened it to set fps to 122 and turn on smoothing. Performance was great and bullet reg was amazing. Tried a couple different servers, same thing. Played in a FN match, same thing. I think that for someone like me who doesn't have the CPU muscle to float the max, smoothing does more harm than good (almost like as it's trying to smooth the frames it's not presenting an accurate picture of the enemy or something). I'm going to continue to leave it off and see how it goes, but last night felt like it did for the first year of the opt-in before I got the new monitor and started messing with the ini. Anyways, just wanted to share that in case anyone else has a 120/144 monitor but struggles to maintain those framerates.
    "bSmoothFrameRate=False" is smoother than "bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE".
    At least the times i have done direct comparable benchmarks reading out frame times, "drawback" is that you're capped at 90 FPS.

Question, is the network data sent from my client to the server based on frames or is it entirely separate from that? I know server tickrate is 30 hz, but how often does my client try to send data to the server? Is it controlled by the tickrate? Or is data sent every frame that my GPU produces, or what?

Ooh, interesting question. I don't know, but I would assume that, if the server sends out updates at 30Hz, the client sends data to the server at the same rate.

Here's the official page on networking in Unreal Engine 3, linked to the most relevant section:
    https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NetworkingOverview.html#Player Movement and Prediction

There, it says that when the client calls CallServerMove(), there's potential for the client to be reporting on multiple moves (ie, multiple frames) to the server.
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    edited May 2015
    BCPull wrote: »
    frankof wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note, when I went back to the regular beta last night I was too lazy to close out the game once I opened it to set fps to 122 and turn on smoothing. Performance was great and bullet reg was amazing. Tried a couple different servers, same thing. Played in a FN match, same thing. I think that for someone like me who doesn't have the CPU muscle to float the max, smoothing does more harm than good (almost like as it's trying to smooth the frames it's not presenting an accurate picture of the enemy or something). I'm going to continue to leave it off and see how it goes, but last night felt like it did for the first year of the opt-in before I got the new monitor and started messing with the ini. Anyways, just wanted to share that in case anyone else has a 120/144 monitor but struggles to maintain those framerates.
    "bSmoothFrameRate=False" is smoother than "bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE".
    At least the times i have done direct comparable benchmarks reading out frame times, "drawback" is that you're capped at 90 FPS.

Question, is the network data sent from my client to the server based on frames or is it entirely separate from that? I know server tickrate is 30 hz, but how often does my client try to send data to the server? Is it controlled by the tickrate? Or is data sent every frame that my GPU produces, or what?

Ooh, interesting question. I don't know, but I would assume that, if the server sends out updates at 30Hz, the client sends data to the server at the same rate.

Here's the official page on networking in Unreal Engine 3, linked to the most relevant section:
    https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NetworkingOverview.html#Player Movement and Prediction

There, it says that when the client calls CallServerMove(), there's potential for the client to be reporting on multiple moves (ie, multiple frames) to the server.

Hm. Another thing I wonder about is mouselook. Since shooting is irrevocably tied to frames (your crosshair doesn't move until the next drawn frame), how does registry and prediction tie into the frames the client draws. If I can draw 4 frames in 1 tick, what data is sent to the server? According to that article it can only send up to 2 moves per tick if conditions are met (bandwidth and it mentions framerate, which makes me think even more that client data is sent based on frames), what does it do with the other 2 frames? Does it only process the latest frame or the latest 2 frames, or is there some sort of selection process?

Edit: Also, what happens if a bullet should be fired in between 2 slowly drawn frames? Like if my PC lags a little and my crosshair is moving over the enemy's head but the frame is drawn late and I'm no longer on their head when the next frame is drawn even though a bullet *should* have fired and been a killshot, is that final frame the authority on that bullet?
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    edited May 2015
    unparking doesn't help.it's a driver/ game engine incopatibility issue.

i miss the "we are aware of the problem and working on it" comment so much after a dozen topics about this.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    The random freezes are just the tip of the iceberg. I had my game crashing after ~30 minutes with new drivers and it would create weird looking PB screenshots that got me reported to ACI.
    edited June 2015
    I just wanted to mention that I bought a little GT 730 for my HTPC and had all kinds of problems with the drivers crashing (353.06), so I looked it up and people recommended the icafe 344.47 driver, mostly talking about how great they were for 3d apps but also how stable they were. The HPTC is now rock solid.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2408166

The comments talk about how they are low power and not really for performance but from what I can see others have talked about how good they are with gaming. I know others here have mentioned using older drivers, just wanted to post this here for anyone really struggling with their current situation, maybe it will help.

LETS GO PENS
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    Unreal Engine hates amd while in the world would you switch to amd from nvidia I hope you play other games and not just this.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

Who is talking about AMD?

LETS GO PENS
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    the OP is/was
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• W!ck3dW!ck3d Posts: 36Player
    Here is what i have figured out for myself! When i still had my GTX 660 is i used EVGAs PrecisionX software and cranked my fans up a bit more the freezing went away completely. Now that i have the 970 the only issue i have is when PB takes a PBSS i drop from 90 to 40 for about 3 seconds.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Here is what i have figured out for myself! When i still had my GTX 660 is i used EVGAs PrecisionX software and cranked my fans up a bit more the freezing went away completely. Now that i have the 970 the only issue i have is when PB takes a PBSS i drop from 90 to 40 for about 3 seconds.

I'm having freezes with the 980 so it's not about the card. Also the PBSS lags should be fixed and never occured for 3 seconds, must be something else.
  • ^]-[ammer_T!me!^]-[ammer_T!me! Posts: 91Player
    Necabo wrote: »

I'm having freezes with the 980 so it's not about the card. Also the PBSS lags should be fixed and never occured for 3 seconds, must be something else.

I agree. I have GTX 960 and no matter what (stock / OCed) and no matter the driver version, I get the freezes if I continue playing for another match. So if I exit the game after match is over and join the same server yet again, I can play without issues again another match (usually if round count is not something huge like best of 30). If I don't exit the game and let it restart with the server coming up again, then I get these microfreezes which basically destroy the gameplay as everything is stuttering every few seconds . This is painfully obvious when observing friendlies moving next to me as they stop at the moment of microstutter and continue moving normally after that. It's very annoying issue.

i5 4690K/970GTX/16GB/XL2411/Win10

aastats.com
  • [GL]_canj[GL]_canj Posts: 19Player
    after some time searching i found this:
    http://www.ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644
    or the tool:
    http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

i tried about 15 min....no microfreezes, using an i7 core
    It's not core parking :). I have tried that 1st :)
    I solved my issue by installing Win7 SP1 on 2nd partition. Game runs without any mircofreezes now on this OS.

aastats.com
    edited July 2015
    gona get win 10 tomorrow and start test playing without installing anything else,than every hour or so put up an Anti Virus and other needed stuff till i find the culprit.If memory serves me right did this also with win8.1 and from the get go freezing was there.
  • [GL]_canj[GL]_canj Posts: 19Player
    edited July 2015
    "^ wrote:
    -[ammer_T!me!;12491"]It's not core parking :). I have tried that 1st :)
    I solved my issue by installing Win7 SP1 on 2nd partition. Game runs without any mircofreezes now on this OS.

what cpu are you using??
    my freezes are not gone completly, but for 90%.

[GL]_canj wrote: »
    "^ wrote:
    -[ammer_T!me!;12491"]It's not core parking :). I have tried that 1st :)

what cpu are you using??
    my freezes are not gone completly, but for 90%.

I used Athlon X4 @ 4.2Ghz + Radeon 6870 on WIn 8.1, had freezes. Then I upgraded to i5 4690K @ stock(and OC 4.2Ghz) + GTX 960 on Win 8.1, also had freezes (even worse, although fps was way higher). Then I installed Win 7 SP1 on 2nd drive and game runs fine on it, no freezes no matter how much I play.

I upgraded the 1st installation to Win10 so will test out to see if the freezes are gone with 10.

aastats.com
    edited July 2015
    drivers are a pain in the "A" if you have relatively old hardware that needs dedicated software from the company that made it and there is no win 10 support so far for it.It's like a 50-50% chance that it will work or not with 8-8.1 drivers.Starting with motherboard chipset over soundcards to any other plug in card you might use with specific drivers.After the first boot in to windows desktop,get the chipset drivers installed and get asap the windows update stuff before trying nvidia drivers.If you start nvidia install before windows update it will crash without installing.No idea if it's the same with ATI cards and drivers.
    I just tried it, exactly the same issue as before. Huge spikes for game thread that result in green line going up like delta function... It happens every 3 seconds and starts happening now as early as round number 3 or so , totally unplayable. Will stick to WIndows 7 for this game.

aastats.com
    edited July 2015
    just played like 2 hours,no stutters or freezes,fps is stable as before,had one time the ALT+TAB black screen thing had to sign out of windows to fix it.Even shadowplay didn't bug out or pride glitched after 4-5 recordings.
  • W!ck3dW!ck3d Posts: 36Player
    edited August 2015
    *Update* I changed out my GPU from an EVGA 660 to a EVGA 970 and have zero issues with the freezing! I will stand my ground because as before with the 660 i froze up for a sec or two now with the 970 whose fans never turn on while playing this game i have zero freezes while playing. I swear this is a heat issue with certain GPUS