Opt-In Beta Audio and You!

SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
First off I want to say THANK YOU to our players for helping test our game throughout the Beta program, and WELCOME to the new players! Your contributions have helped us greatly, and will continue to help us moving forward! HOOAH!

Second, I would like to say yes... my Dev tag is not quite functional yet, but this is the real Soundy.

OK so game audio changes for opt-in... As some of you are aware, we made the switch from Unreal's native audio engine to the WWISE audio engine for many reasons, mostly because it offers us more control over how audio performs during gameplay. This is greatly to our (Devs) advantage, and helps our players get more out of their audio experience.

In addition to making the switch and moving all the pre-existing audio across from old to new, we have updated various sounds such as weapon fire, radio dialog, main UI music, some objective specific UI sounds, and some ambient sounds. How these sounds are mixed in-game have changed, and the effects on those sounds like environmental reverb have changed.

Audio is still under production, and we want your feedback. This thread is for audio feedback only. All I ask is for you to be constructive and descriptive. It helps us organize the feedback, find what is trending, and move that forward to discussions for potential changes or bug fixes.

Well... that's it! See you on the Proving Grounds!

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    After one match sound seems alot better thank you. I gotta go to work will give more feedback when i get back to playing.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• W!ck3dW!ck3d Posts: 36Player
    Sound is better, but i've found the sound doesn't match up to some of the characters actions. Also not sure if it's just me but everything i hear sounds muffled? Will check it out more later gotta go to work.
  • SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    edited April 2015
    Sound is better, but i've found the sound doesn't match up to some of the characters actions. Also not sure if it's just me but everything i hear sounds muffled? Will check it out more later gotta go to work.

Thanks W!cked. Just let me know what kind of sounds for the matching feedback... like weapon reloads, etc. Also the muffled sound may be from what is called obstruction or occlusion. For example, If the sound has to pass through a wall or series of walls to get to the listener, WWISE will muffle it a bit.
  • r3vo-r3vo- Posts: 5Player
    The Good:

- The new gun sounds are nice.
    - Ambient sounds are pretty cool

The Bad:
    - Can't hear footsteps. I've had enemies be 1-4 feet around me and I can't hear them at all.
    - Can't tell how far away the shooting is happening, or where someone is being revived/healing themselves
    - Echo inside buildings is wayyyyyy to high. Sounds like you're in a fishbowl shooting.

Overall, not happy with the new audio.
  • c5.Wafflesc5.Waffles Posts: 39Player
    Love the new sounds, would have to agree with -vR.r3vo oh the bad parts, the footsteps go in and out and there is no telling where they are in relation to you and even problems with your own footsteps not sounding off, same goes with the revive/heal/secure. Also having trouble with some of the surround sound, sometimes it works sometimes it dosnt, could be in conjunction with problems mentioned before.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    First thing i noticed is the "highheel" sound on metal surfaces.
    Directional sound isnt as accurate as in the normal beta imo.
    AAPG is good!
    edited April 2015
    -vR.r3vo wrote: »
    The Good:

- The new gun sounds are nice.
    - Ambient sounds are pretty cool

The Bad:
    - Can't hear footsteps. I've had enemies be 1-4 feet around me and I can't hear them at all.
    - Can't tell how far away the shooting is happening, or where someone is being revived/healing themselves
    - Echo inside buildings is wayyyyyy to high. Sounds like you're in a fishbowl shooting.

Overall, not happy with the new audio.

Thanks for your feedback r3vo. Let me break this discussion down a little.

- Footsteps: Footstep mix is constantly being adjusted. It is important that footstep sounds are present and noticeable, but not at all times. For example, tactical mode turns down the footstep sounds considerably and was intended to make approaching an NME or navigating a scenario much more stealthy. Another example would be, if there is a lot of loud action happening like gunfire and explosions, you will most likely not hear footsteps. This is why it is vital to always move as a team, or at least in pairs, when at all possible. Someone watching your six will lessen the chance of you getting secured or caught off guard.

- Gunfire at distance and revived/healing is also still in flux.

- Echo, or environmental effects, and still in flux. I would like to note that firing a weapon indoors will have a lot of extra echo. Changing visual and auditory conditions are expected during training exercises. How a soldier handles those changing conditions in varying scenarios while still completing the mission is what is key to success.
    edited April 2015
    Love the new sounds, would have to agree with -vR.r3vo oh the bad parts, the footsteps go in and out and there is no telling where they are in relation to you and even problems with your own footsteps not sounding off, same goes with the revive/heal/secure. Also having trouble with some of the surround sound, sometimes it works sometimes it dosnt, could be in conjunction with problems mentioned before.

Thanks for the feedback Waffels.

Directional audio, or relation of audio to listeners position is a big part of the mix. Small adjustments make big changes in this department. We are of course working with our new set of audio tools in this matter across the board for all player driven sounds, and working with some new technologies to enhance dimensional directional audio specifically. As I have more information to pass along, I will.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,047Moderator
    edited April 2015
    reverb on redline is cool, the echoing of the gunshots are changing a lot when moving through various locations.

On footsteps, granted i barley had time to check this mornings build, what i found in previous builds was that the footstep audio changes a lot depending on your playback devise.
    When i play via my speakers, i can hardly hear the steps, so i crank it up and the wife goes bananas when i fire the M9, and no, i dont play in the kitchen ;) </br>

Playing with the headphones its ok leaning towards high.</br>

Sound card: Creative X-fi fatal1ty</br>
    Speakers: Creative z906 </br>
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD515</br>

And linebreak messed up my formating
    ss_4_frankof.png
    edited April 2015
    frankof wrote: »
    reverb on redline is cool, the echoing of the gunshots are changing a lot when moving through various locations.

On footsteps, granted i barley had time to check this mornings build, what i found in previous builds was that the footstep audio changes a lot depending on your playback devise.
    When i play via my speakers, i can hardly hear the steps, so i crank it up and the wife goes bananas when i fire the M9, and no, i dont play in the kitchen ;) </br>

Playing with the headphones its ok leaning towards high.</br>

Sound card: Creative X-fi fatal1ty</br>
    Speakers: Creative z906 </br>
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD515</br>

And linebreak messed up my formating

Thanks for the feedback frankof.

Dynamic range, or variance between the loudest and softest sounds in the game for those who may not know the term, is one of the final items addressed in the audio mix. Footsteps are of course some of the softest sounds in the mix. Once we come up with a best fit mix, It allows us to compensate for different audio playback hardware and create dynamic range presets for WWISE's compression module.

Although the majority of our players use headphones, we are aware of this imbalance and are working to address it.

P.S: My wife goes bananas as well when I crank it up at home. I kind of enjoy it. >:)
    Hey Soundy, one more quick question, is there any fix for the VoIP issues at the moment? i know that channging some settings on the client side machine can temp fix it but as not everyone is willing to do that or not everyone even knows how, is there a way to do a quick fix so that we are able to use VoIP in game?
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Hey Soundy, one more quick question, is there any fix for the VoIP issues at the moment? i know that channging some settings on the client side machine can temp fix it but as not everyone is willing to do that or not everyone even knows how, is there a way to do a quick fix so that we are able to use VoIP in game?

This isn't really related to sound, it's a teamspeak issue. There's no fix we'll be putting in during this opt in I'm afraid. It's a complex issue we've been working on for a while. The data we're gathering during this opt in should help us have it fixed by the next one though!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

edited April 2015
    I will have to consult with my colleagues on that one. VoIP is handled more on the engineering side. I will walk down there and chat with them and get back to you.

Edit: Looks like Tots has got this one.
    TheTots wrote: »

This isn't really related to sound, it's a teamspeak issue. There's no fix we'll be putting in during this opt in I'm afraid. It's a complex issue we've been working on for a while. The data we're gathering during this opt in should help us have it fixed by the next one though!

Ok, sorry for the mistake i figured it might be on the sound side, none the less, thanks for the feedback!

edited April 2015
    Thank you for contributing Waffels!
  • [kT]Trigga[kT]Trigga Posts: 102Player
    The new gun sound leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the final release. I cant pinpoint what exactly it is but it sounds like a toy gun i feel like.
    The new gun sound leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the final release. I cant pinpoint what exactly it is but it sounds like a toy gun i feel like.

Thanks for the feedback Trigga.

Are there any specific gun sounds you would like to provide feedback on more than others?
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    What I don't get about the sounds of the guns is how can they change so much when I thought they were originally matched to the real thing ..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • r3vo-r3vo- Posts: 5Player
    The M24 sounds like a toy gun... the rest sound alright to me.
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    I can't opt in!!

I right click the game in steam, go to properties, then Betas... Now in the scroll down button it is highlighted blue and wont open to let me choose the option to opt in.. Is something wrong on my end? Or is only limited to certain amount of people??
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

This discussion has been closed.