Nice new place yall have here.

Any old school AA players still around?

Comments

• m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 610Moderator
    edited June 2015
    I'm always here. Hi there
  • Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 346Moderator
    hey BB, how goes it?
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
  • TearTear Posts: 18Developer
    Define "old school".
  • Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    edited June 2015
  • SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    edited June 2015
    [Dev]Tear wrote: »
    Define "old school".

Probably people who remember a few full servers (in same time) on River Basin, HQ Raid, Mountain Ambush or Mountain Pass. So from start to 2005.

It is me!
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 966Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Define "old school".
    2000-05?
    two years prior to the games first release would be old school, yeah ;)

Welcome back BB
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 314Beta Tester
    Define "old school".

Old school, you know... like back in the day when your computer's connection
    to the game server out on the World Wide Web was via a cable between the
    modulation/demodulation device and a telephone jack.

Most computers looked the same, beige box with a matching beige CRT monitor. You were the cool guy if yours was black. Or the problem guy if trying to play a DOS based game on your MAC.

We gathered in dark underground bunkers.

52c0e47a-a439-4c08-aab4-d85796e79ce0.jpg

And AA looked like this:

tn_565_2-jpg.45326

556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
  • SSKwaNtedSSKwaNted Posts: 266Player
    Back in 2005 I was playing only Pipeline and every server was full, so I was double clicking, for minutes, on every server hoping that someone would leave, ah good times :smiley:
    AAPGOD/ Ex R6 Pro
    Achievements
    Youtube
    Steam
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Ah yes, when you put your weapon on three round burst and clicked....and three rounds came out :D

when tunnel campers on radio tower were considered the scum of the earth and CSAR had frag nades.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    When you enter C:\DOS\AA.exe

Ok... not that old.
    googley avatar aapg

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited June 2015
    back when defense couldn't easily rush assault spawn on every map and play TDM, because.... defense had to cross the open field to get into frag range of assault spawn, they couldn't sprint and reload, and the assault team had deterrent / equalizer called m203... to keep the defense team honest and let assault get out of the spawn...

• (1VB)Blackbear(1VB)Blackbear Posts: 3Player
    Hey guys, good to see some familiar names still kicking around.

Bear82, things are great. I am 17 days from giving up the Battalion Colors after a successful 2 year Battalion Command to include a short notice deployment to Afghanistan. Not quite ready to hang up the ACU's yet and am heading to DC to attend the National War College for a year.

Frank, you are pretty close to spot on with what I consider old school. You have a little time on me, but my original game account was pre-July of 2002.........
  • -=[VGO]=-mmchaos-=[VGO]=-mmchaos Posts: 81Moderator
    welcome back blackbear
    test-tag.jpg
  • Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 346Moderator
    gratz on War College
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
    edited June 2015
    frankof wrote: »
    Define "old school".
    2000-05?
    two years prior to the games first release would be old school, yeah ;)

Welcome back BB

taken from wikipedia
    The America's Army concept was conceived in 1999 by Colonel Casey Wardynski; the Army's Chief Economist and Professor at the United States Military Academy.[2] Wardynski envisioned "using computer game technology to provide the public a virtual Soldier experience that was engaging, informative and entertaining."[3] America's Army was managed by two other U.S. Army officers serving with Wardynski at the Office of Economic and Manpower Analysis (OEMA): Major Chris Chambers and Major Bret Wilson.

The Windows version 1.0, subtitled Recon, was first released on July 4, 2002. As of January 2014, there have been over 41 versions and updates released, including updates to America's Army: Proving Grounds which was released in August 2013. All versions have been developed on the Unreal Engine. The game is financed by the U.S. government and distributed by free download.

The game was developed by Colonel Wardynski who recognized that a video game might be helpful to the U.S. Army in the strategic communication efforts by providing more information to prospective soldiers and to help reduce the number of recruits who wash out during the nine weeks of basic training.[2] The effort proved successful as more than 13 million players have registered America’s Army accounts over the years, with more than 260 million hours played on the various titles.[14] One teenager was quoted saying the game "provides great information. This would probably spark an interest. I don't know how I would have found out so much some other way."[15]

With several thousand players online at any one time between 2001 and 2007, it ranked in the top 10 FPS (First Person Shooter) games played online during the period, as tracked by GameSpy.[16][not in citation given]
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 966Moderator
    Yes?
    Is it the bolded part you want to draw attention to or the rest of the text, including: "The Windows version 1.0, subtitled Recon, was first released on July 4, 2002." ;)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • [CZBGR]Lytton[CZBGR]Lytton Posts: 9Player
    well, now there's a name I haven't seen a while.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    that bold part is funny because it says no citation given..

edited June 2015
    my mistake should have written early years of 2000,AA forum police got me.