[help] Military Logistics study guide

Hey guys!

I'm currently preparing to study military logistics (materiel management, logistics support to combat units, equipment repair). Since the community here includes a lot of players with military experience, I'd gladly ask you for some pointers (literature, video, courses, etc.) on the topic.

Besides being America's Army player, I'm also a big fan of settlement building feature in Fallout 4 and I'd like to create a simple app to track some kind of organization structure of my army and most notably to track, manage and distribute my materiel. I'm sorry to ask this question here and not in Bethesda forum, but I concluded that I could find more players with logistics experience here.

Thank you for any ideas where to look next.

Comments

• jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 92Player
    Are you joining the army or just studying?
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 733Player
    Call the Air Force. Done.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    I strongly doubt you'll find many people. Not to many people visit the forums as is. If you want to find out more about the logistics side of the army, try looking at the Quartermaster or Transportation branches/corps of the army. Logistics deals with getting supplies, equipment, personnel ect when and where they need to be. The logistics branch itself is divided into sub-categories (Transportation, Quartermaster, and Ordnance). Basically, any soldier who works for those three branches is apart of the logistics branch, but only officers and maybe high ranking enlisted are actually apart of the logistics branch directly. In other words, a soldier might be in the ordnance branch (which deals with making sure soldiers have guns), but the logistics branch itself is higher up as now you're dealing with transportation and quartermaster stuff too on top of ordnance.

Considering that the Battalion level of structure is the lowest level of organization allowed to have a staff, and therefore a Logistics or Supply Officer (S-4), I'd say only Captains -- typical rank for Battalion S-4, or higher ranking officers are actually apart of the Logistics Branch directly. Anyone below that, including enlisted personnel (note that all enlisted personnel rank below officers), is either part of the quartermaster or transportation, or ordnance branch)
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 733Player
    What are you talking about lol
    edited November 2020
    doogle! wrote: »
    What are you talking about lol

Military Logistics. Specifically, the branches that deal with logistics in the Army, I assume that's what the OP wanted. If the OP wants more info, he can look into those three-four branches/components I mentioned.
    Tbh, this thread should really be in RnR since it's not AA related.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • jgvn11 wrote: »
    Are you joining the army or just studying?

Studying, although joining the army is very tempting idea :-)
  • I strongly doubt you'll find many people. Not to many people visit the forums as is. If you want to find out more about the logistics side of the army, try looking at the Quartermaster or Transportation branches/corps of the army. Logistics deals with getting supplies, equipment, personnel ect when and where they need to be. The logistics branch itself is divided into sub-categories (Transportation, Quartermaster, and Ordnance). Basically, any soldier who works for those three branches is apart of the logistics branch, but only officers and maybe high ranking enlisted are actually apart of the logistics branch directly. In other words, a soldier might be in the ordnance branch (which deals with making sure soldiers have guns), but the logistics branch itself is higher up as now you're dealing with transportation and quartermaster stuff too on top of ordnance.

Considering that the Battalion level of structure is the lowest level of organization allowed to have a staff, and therefore a Logistics or Supply Officer (S-4), I'd say only Captains -- typical rank for Battalion S-4, or higher ranking officers are actually apart of the Logistics Branch directly. Anyone below that, including enlisted personnel (note that all enlisted personnel rank below officers), is either part of the quartermaster or transportation, or ordnance branch)

Thanks! I tried to look for some FMs but I don't really know which ones are appropriate. I assume that I need some doctrines for S-4, based on your suggestions, right?
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 92Player
    Thanks! I tried to look for some FMs but I don't really know which ones are appropriate. I assume that I need some doctrines for S-4, based on your suggestions, right?

Yes, I don't know much about the army logistics, but I know in the Marines we have webapps for ordering gear/replacements, maintenance induction, etc. I'm not in those MOS's so I can't speak well upon them. Not sure how much field/technical manuals would help, those generally just have the very basics.
    I strongly doubt you'll find many people. Not to many people visit the forums as is. If you want to find out more about the logistics side of the army, try looking at the Quartermaster or Transportation branches/corps of the army. Logistics deals with getting supplies, equipment, personnel ect when and where they need to be. The logistics branch itself is divided into sub-categories (Transportation, Quartermaster, and Ordnance). Basically, any soldier who works for those three branches is apart of the logistics branch, but only officers and maybe high ranking enlisted are actually apart of the logistics branch directly. In other words, a soldier might be in the ordnance branch (which deals with making sure soldiers have guns), but the logistics branch itself is higher up as now you're dealing with transportation and quartermaster stuff too on top of ordnance.

Take a look at FM 6-0 if you haven't already. Paragraph 2-55 talks about the duties of the logistics officer.

Link below:
    https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ARN14843_FM_6-0_Incl_C2_FINAL_WEB.pdf
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg