Why There have been few Updates... And may not be any in the future.

LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 367Player
edited October 9 in General Discussion
After doing some digging, I found interesting information about who/what gives the money for this game.
According to GoArmy.com (link below), Americas Army is (was?) funded by the " Army Marketing and Research Group"

After finding that out, I decided to look up news regarding the Army Marketing and Research Group (AMRG).

Now, apparently, back in June of 2019, something bad happened. According to a news article in military.com, "The U.S. Army [had] ordered a dramatic shake-up of its marketing machine in the wake of congressional scrutiny of 'ineffective marketing programs' that emerged in an internal audit."

The article goes on to say that the guys who used to provide support for the ARMG, McCann, were traded out for a new group of people ,"DDB Chicago Inc. -- a subsidiary of DDB Worldwide" (military.com) , and were given a four-billion dollar budget to provide, "services in support of the U.S. Army Marketing and Advertising Program" (military.com).

So from the above information, one might conclude that Americas Army was deemed one of those "ineffective marketing programs". The game (or series in general) never went mainstream and never really had a player base that you see in other shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Rainbow Six Siege.

However, the article doesn't state explicitly what programs the Army deemed ineffective, so it could be that there's another reason why. With a new group running the show, it could definitely mean, a change in how those billions of dollars are used. I'm not going to look up info regarding that at the moment, but for those interested -- give it a try. This could mean that development and updates for the Americas Army series (both AAPG and AA5) could've been greatly reduced in priority, with DDB looking at alternate ways of getting as many eyeballs as possible in the Army's direction.

AMRG was redesignated as the ,"Office of the Chief Army Enterprise Marketing" and was relocated to Chicago, (where DDB Chicago is located). According to ArmyTimes.com, DDB will be the army's "full service ad agency" (ArmyTimes.com) until the year 2028.

That's all for now, may/will update later as I uncover more information regarding America's Army and its development.

Sources Cited

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/06/06/shake-army-relocates-marketing-operation-chicago.html
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/08/23/armys-new-chicago-team-will-use-big-data-to-recruit-gen-z/
https://www.goarmy.com/downloads/americas-army-game.html?bcsi-ac-cde40c890bd19f3d=2719301D00000002QxYUC4+Rkwj+deQsHB62J71gfc1AUQAAAgAAAGdoMQGEAwAAFQIAAGITJgA=
Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg

Comments

• Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 320Player
    Interesting, thanks for bringing this up Broken Arrow. I'll dig a bit. I do find it interesting that there is no response, even after a day
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited October 10
    Interesting and seems to make sense. It actually amazed me that we ever even got AAPG let alone a potential AA5.

I will say that "The game (or series in general) never went mainstream" is not entirely true. At the time, America's Army Ops & 2 were quite mainstream in the gaming community. You have to remember that this was prior to the more recent explosions of gaming where we have things like Twitch stars and huge eSports competitions (eSports was really in its infancy at the time). However, the grand scheme of gaming the original AA was a big deal and it also served as an inspiration to many future games.

Anyway, AA3 & AAPG were both flops as much as we may have liked playing them (despite their faults), neither ever lived up to the original. AA2 had millions of players, AA3 & AAPG both had a big boost of players at release and then dropped off fast when potential players didn't like it.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 367Player
    edited October 10
    Interesting, thanks for bringing this up Broken Arrow. I'll dig a bit. I do find it interesting that there is no response, even after a day

Well, forums are pretty much dead. They have slowly been decreasing in activity over the past 2 years, as the lack of communication from the developers regarding Americas Army has increased.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,065Moderator
    edited October 11
    I dont know if its still true, but the games was deemed to be some of the most cost efficient ways to reach out to the target audience.
    Developing a game, even in a dedicated studio, was far cheaper than running i.e a nascar team.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited October 12
    frankof wrote: »
    I dont know if its still true, but the games was deemed to be some of the most cost efficient ways to reach out to the target audience.
    Developing a game, even in a dedicated studio, was far cheaper than running i.e a nascar team.

Seems like the Army was spending about $8M per year on their NASCAR sponsorship before ending in in 2014, not sure if they had a new one or not since then. It's hard to find good numbers on how much a multiplayer only FPS game costs to make. I know games have gotten more expensive these days, but we're not talking about an expansive single player campaign with huge levels, top tier voice acting, CGI cut scenes, and the like. Even still, development costs aren't cheap, I dont' know if you can build a game with $8M per year anymore. Probably back in the early 2000's you could.

Creating a game is bigger gamble too. You have to dedicate years of development and then after all of that hope that the game catches on. A player base that AA3 & AAPG had were failures. If we're talking about this game being a marketing tool for the Army, then if you don't have at least hundreds of thousands of people interacting with the game on a weekly basis, your product has failed. A single TV commercial can be viewed by millions by just airing it during the right programming.

AAPG also failed completely with that respect because the game didn't teach anyone anything about the Army. They pretty much made the game play some commercials while you loaded each level and that was it. Pointless. The whole idea is to make people actually interact with the Army since that's the biggest plus side to video games... you get in depth interactivity that is impossible with a commercial. Making the PR side of the game just being commercials was an awful idea (it wasn't bad in the execution of the idea, it was actually a good idea for a loading screen, but more that it was the ONLY idea). Beyond that, just a generic FPS where you play as Americans (like that's not being done in a bunch of places already).

If I were to start over and make a new America's Army game and I wanted to get away from the classic multiplayer FPS, then I'd probably venture in the VR space since it'd be something different that can generate a bit of buzz. Imagine AA5 being something like this VR game Onward:

That would be something exciting and different (I know this game already exists, but the space is still evolving). I know VR still has a prohibitive cost of entry, but that'd be awesome.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -hyperlite--hyperlite- Posts: 104Player
    Monster update tomorrow. Prepare to be impressed. lol
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 367Player
    edited October 14
    Monster update tomorrow. Prepare to be impressed. lol

Was more-so a patch than anything else. That's really the most we can expect moving forward.

Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • CoverluxCoverlux Posts: 26Player
    I really wish that the devs could let us know what is going on.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 320Player
    Coverlux wrote: »
    I really wish that the devs could let us know what is going on.

+1 homie