Is the army really that bad?

A.BulletA.Bullet Posts: 2Player
I'm 23, had about an hour of training from a professional instructor when I was maybe 14. I can STILL hold a guitar with a can of soup balanced on it steadier than a trained army guy can rest a rifle on a bench.... but I'm confused. I would expect the average army guy to shoot better than I did when I was 14.

Why do the ones in the game swing their guns all over the place?

I often pop up, pop back down, move a little, and then get shot in the head by a bullet that "hit" when my head was up. In other words, I get shot through walls/around corners all the time because the ping correction is so bad. I don't know a lot about FPS ping correction, but it seems to be much worse than most FPS games were 10 years ago.

Why don't you guys do what they do?

Most people seem to agree that putting the crosshairs dead on someone and then pulling the trigger often fails to kill, or even hit them... even though we spend billions in tax dollars developing rifles that (as you are keen to point out) can shoot accurately well over 1000m.

Do they jam? or, how does that happen so much?

Pressing space sometimes steadies the aim, but sometimes does absolutely nothing. And when it works, he holds his breath for like 5-6 seconds then dances the macarena on the scope while his buddy shakes the table. Then, a long time later, if you press space over and over, he might remember to take another breath and set the gun back on the bench.

Is that what they do in the real army? and If so, can I come show them what I do?
(im usually still holding my breath when he finally steadies the second time, without even thinking about it)

How many times can I shoot you in the chest with an M249 before you stop running forwards? (3? 4? 7...?) How about in the leg....? What happened to the old game where if you get shot in the leg its harder to walk? And, again, can I come show your guys how to walk quietly?

In short, Why did you make the army guys out to suck so bad? Is that really, accurate?!? I seriously hope not.... But, if the in-game training/bootcamp is any reflection of the real thing, I'm honestly surprised our guys come home at all.

I really think AA is awesome, a great use of tax money, and a fantastic tool to generate interest and excitement about joining the army. Or at least, it was a long time ago. I remember playing the old game, feels like it was in black and white compared to the new one... but it made sense, was impressively accurate, and made me want to be in the army someday.

This one, Honestly, took me from on the fence about joining, to genuinely concerned for my friends in the navy just in case their guys are equally bad at what they do.

Someone must have gone out of their way to code the game to swing the rifles more than a hyped-up 14 year old with almost no experience.

Do yall need help with the code? not actually play the game or get any feedback? or, just really not want kids to join the army?

I really don't understand. Why would someone go out of their way to make them wave the gun around, but nobody went out of their way to make sure the buttons work and you can't shoot someone who's already behind a wall. . .?

I ask because I actually like the game, I want to play it to learn, But I really cant even sit back and enjoy it because its so intentionally F**d up.

Don't believe me, mount a camera to an M4, Give it to a little kid, tell him to aim and hold it still.
Now give it to a trained soldier.
Now look at the sight picture in AA.
I was able to balance a can of soup on the neck of a guitar, hold that in one hand, a phone in the other, walk back and forth,... and see less movement on the recording than I do in the game.
(and I have the video to prove it)

It's clear this new game has a lot of potential, that's utterly ruined by a lot of bad code.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of open-source FPS games that absolutely aren't ruined by these sorts of problems. Is there anything we can do to change or improve on that, or is your recommendation the same as I got from my friends in the services? ... "Join the airforce instead"

Asking because I'd rather learn to fix a truck than a jet engine, but based on the game I wouldn't feel safe in the Army. I really think you shoot yourself in the foot with that, and... that makes a lot of sense the way those guys handle their weapons.

Comments

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,487Player
    edited September 28
    Hopefully AA5 will be more realistic should be out next year =)
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,065Moderator
    A lot of the "features" are a result of people asking for "more realism".
    The idea of a realistic game is really stillborn as outside of some advanced weapon systems no weapon is operated with a mouse and a keyboard.
    So the old saying is still valid, "careful what you ask for, you just might get it"
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 150Beta Tester
    edited September 29
    A.Bullet wrote: »
    Big-[TOS Violation] snip as it was TL;DR (but I did scan it)

Before I respond, could I get a little on your background?

--

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 89Player
    If you're basing what the military is truly like off of a video game, maybe you shouldn't join eventually.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 605Beta Tester
    To OP:
    I did read the entire post. In a nutshell: weapon sway in unrealistically high in you opinion. And you questioned the devs ability to program based on that... Based on this, I question your knowledge of programming. Changing the sway values for a weapon is literally changing 4 numbers. (Well, 6, if you want to be really precise, but 2 of them are always 0.) I say with confidence, that the devs could change these numbers, but for some reason they decided not to. It's not a matter of programming skill, it's a matter of game design.

Also: you wouldn't feel safe in the army, because army soldiers will shoot themselves in the foot (according to your logic). Following that, I say I'd feel pretty safe in the army portrayed by AAPG as an M24 bullet to the face can be fixed up with a roll of toilet paper. Logic.
    jgvn11 wrote: »
    If you're basing what the military is truly like off of a video game, maybe you shouldn't join eventually.

Exactly... It's not even false advertising... The game never directly or indirectly says, that you are getting an "authentic army experience".

Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 89Player
    Most of my time on my combat deployments were spent playing cards and playing with myself. Could be be a fun video game.
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 150Beta Tester
    jgvn11 wrote: »
    Most of my time on my combat deployments were spent playing cards and playing with myself. Could be be a fun video game.

I LOL'd
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 721Player
    Don't forget that at the end of the day, this is a video game. Your post is really all over the place and ultra critical of all the wrong things....that's coming from someone who likes to complain as much as anyone else. Don't insult the actual military and military training with how some contractors implement an half arcade half realism game.

If your takeaway from playing AAPG is you don't feel safe joining the military...based up weapon sway and holding spacebar...then maybe you're not exactly the target audience anyway. Your rambling combined with your KDR show that you neither think when you play nor when you type.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 365Player
    Most of the realism comes from the loading videos that play to be honest. That's where you get to truly see what its like in the army. I think they could add a larger variety of MOS videos though (all I've seen is the EOD one, and the Aviation Officer).

The game itself is just for fun.

I think the videogame makes the soldiers seem quite powerful in my opinion, I am currently in Army ROTC, and I wish I could run for a virtually endless period of time, non stop, carrying a 20-30 pound machine gun and 40-50 pounds of gear on my back, and on my chest. Reflexes quick as ever. Not fearing anything. You gotta be very physically and mentally tough if you want to be in the combat arms, So I think there is some truth there though exaggerated.
    4-yr ROTC Scholarship Recipient

P0asKE2.jpg