AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,156Player
    edited April 23
    The AA player base may be the most negative group of people I've ever come across, but most of us aren't just coming in and slamming the game and walking away to make it fail. We come in, slam the game, wash, rinse, and repeat.

You must have not been around other player bases that much. AA's player base tends to be fairly levelheaded compared to many games I've seen. The average age here is much higher, there are less of the temper tantrums I've seen in most mainstream games that have tons of teenagers playing. I've seen tons of constructive criticism in this place for years. People may say that it sucks, but they also support their arguments and give suggestions on how to make it better.

In terms of the secrecy, it's the US Army, they seem to think a video game is top secret stuff. They've always been like this. Even back in the AA1/AA2 days we'd only ever hear about updates a week or so before they came out. At one point with AAPG, they promised more openness with dev boards and all sorts of things and then that got squashed quickly.

Fact is that America's Army means nothing to the current gaming world beyond some 30+ year olds (AA's peak was probably around 2004/2005, a 14 year old in 2004 would now be 30!) who have nostalgia for a game that was popular back during the GW Bush administration. Gaming has changed a ton since those days and if AA5 doesn't come up to modern standards while also doing something unique and interesting from a gaming standpoint while also starting to create some noise from the marketing side (even small stuff like showing screenshot and alpha videos on social media) then it's going to be another AA3/AAPG.

I will add that in 2020, there is a beauty to the fact that you can do a ton of advertising for free via social media. Maybe there aren't any big names focused on America's Army accounts, but when the time comes all you need is a few "influencers" to notice and it can greatly help.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 272Player
    The AA player base may be the most negative group of people I've ever come across, but most of us aren't just coming in and slamming the game and walking away to make it fail.
    ROFL....are you serious? Have you played counterstrike or league of legends, all cs and lol players survive on toxic pizza.
    I've played AAO since 1.0 and can say that the best gaming years of my life were from aa1, aa2 and then the train derailed from 3.0 till now. They will never have another game / community like they did in the past. Pretty sure this game will be canceled in the near future. But I guess that free's up more resources for other fun govt projects like mk-ultra.
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    Nearly all games have toxic communities no doubt. I don't play either of those games. That's why the statement says "I've ever come across".
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester
    Doogle, thank you for your acknowledgement. I'm not always successful but I do try to be helpful and positive.
    The bias I spoke of wasn't aimed just at you but the ubiquitous "them" who see a Beta or Dev tag and stop reading. They come across as if we're all "company men" and can't think for ourselves. Sorry if I was wrong in your case.
    The main thrust of my point was that sometimes the answer is not what people want to hear. Or, there is no answer that can be given at that specific time. So people guess, speculate and those rumours somehow become fact. Nowhere have I seen, heard or have any indication of a time line, dead line or milestone with either AA:PG or AA5. When they have something to test, we test it. Sometimes that thing never comes out other times it's tweaked over and over before it's released.
    All I can say is; When there is something worth talking about someone will post it. Until then, no posts means nothing new to report.
    015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 308Player
    There is always hope, but it's just hope.

Hope is not a plan -- I agree with the original 3-year prediction

I think the is the only reference we ever had to a date..... sadly
    We are at least 12-18 months out then based on that number.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • nu.-maRknu.-maRk Posts: 6Player
    There is always hope, but it's just hope.

Hope is not a plan -- I agree with the original 3-year prediction

I think the is the only reference we ever had to a date..... sadly

If anyone wants to play AA5 -- https://aao25.com/

sorry AA2.5** :)

prob the best future this game series has. who else wants to partake in a quarantine revival?
  • EvilstormEvilstorm Posts: 19Player
    edited May 7
    Sorry late to this thread. IMO and the opinion of around 100 of my AA friends is don't make an arcade style game. Go back to basics then add in some squad the game ideas. I personally know alot of players that dumped AAPG when in came out. Many had played from the early days of 2002. So basically you guys need to make a love child crossed between AA franchise and Squad. Just my opinion.
    Evilstorm wrote: »
    Sorry late to this thread. IMO and the opinion of around 100 of my AA friends is don't make an arcade style game. Go back to basics then add in some squad the game ideas. I personally know alot of players that dumped AAPG when in came out. Many had played from the early days of 2002. So basically you guys need to make a love child crossed between AA franchise and Squad. Just my opinion.

Note: They - AAPG Team (no idea who is doing AA5, but likely some from AAPG)

They don't believe they are going to get the audience they want if they do something like that. There had been comments about targeting an age range and that age range wants short rounds and everything given to them (not exactly, but in short). That was the story that was told at least.

IMO a great game will bring an audience, not a specific type of game catered to obtain an audience based on statistics, however I do understand they need a basis to start.

Longer story short, we're tired of being disappointed.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • AvgusteAvguste Posts: 125Player
    Last I spoke to a rep from the devs for a gaming community interview (about 3 years ago), I was told the devs and the Army understood the errors of their way and although I didnt get details, I was getting the vibe that AA5 would be closer to AA2 than to Proving. With obviously new gameplay due to military technology advance (i.e. drones and other UAVs)

• [!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian[!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian Posts: 798Player
    To get that glory back they sure need to go back and produce an AA 2.5 type of game, because as it is now they are currently being outplayed by Ground Branch which comes really close to the old AA gameplay.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,156Player
    edited May 8
    Avguste wrote: »
    Last I spoke to a rep from the devs for a gaming community interview (about 3 years ago), I was told the devs and the Army understood the errors of their way and although I didnt get details, I was getting the vibe that AA5 would be closer to AA2 than to Proving. With obviously new gameplay due to military technology advance (i.e. drones and other UAVs)

I hope so. Would be interesting to see how they can implement those types of things in a round-based game. I still think my old idea of building up team credits that you can spend each round would be a cool concept. Instead of your economy being individually based, it's team based. Or maybe even a little bit of both. The whole team gets an allotment of points for what they've accomplished in the prior round and then a certain percentage gets distributed to each player and the rest is used by the squad and fire team leaders to spend on the team.

Then depending on your class you can spend those credits on certain things. For example, SQL gets certain items, FTL gets certain items, then the rest of the team spends their individual points on other items. It would also give SQL & FTL a purpose beyond just getting more points like in AA2.

I think round based games need a form of economy. It adds a lot of depth and strategy to the game. So if getting squad points allows you to get some sort of UAV , drones, robots or even a tank or helicopter for support. Whatever it is, you can use this type of economy which if balanced well can add a huge layer of strategy to the game.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 356Player
    I hope the next AA game has much faster rounds. 4 minutes is far too long for a best of 11. That'll give you games that potentially last over half an hour. I think 2 minute rounds, like in MW would be better. Current meta is way too campy, and I think shorter time limit would encourage new players to push and take over key locations sooner rather than later in the round. Matches would also be more exciting, and action packed since there'd be a shorter period of time.

Also sides should swap every 2-3 rounds, like in COD. This gives players more chances to try out classes that are grabbed rather quickly such as the Sniper or Automatic Rifleman. If they decide to implement the same class system in the next game, then they need to figure out a way to make sure players have numerous chances to get the more sought after classes in a match.

4-yr ROTC Scholarship Recipient

P0asKE2.jpg
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 84Player
    BrokenArrow, you would have hated how long the rounds lasted in the old AA then lol
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 141Beta Tester
    edited May 28
    I think 2 minute rounds, like in MW would be better.

Some example timings for various maps... direct path, no stopping to smell the roses.

Extract Maps
    Hospital | to package 25s | to extract 29s | total 54s
    Intercept | to package 20s | to extract 20s | total 40s
    Rusneyev | to package 20s | to extract 16s | total 36s
    Raptus | to package 16s | to extract 16s | total 32s

C4 Maps (PLUS 5s to arm)
    Slums | 25s to Z | 20s to Y | total 45s
    Watchdog | 19s to Y | 17s to Z | total 36s

Take & Hold (PLUS 11s for a single player to Take)
    Slums | 25s from Alpha to Z | 23s from Bravo to Y

At 2 minutes, 20%-45% of your time just running... no gunning, no aiming, no pausing to watch the sunset... just running.

Good idea if you think you'll never run into anyone...
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • ^MAROFEL.Arkeiro^^MAROFEL.Arkeiro^ Posts: 768Player
    The good thing about this community is we always hoping for something better, something nostalgic like AA2. After all these years it surprises me theres still people interested in the upcoming game and theres still people working hard to keep the current one alive (hosting competitions/events, etc).

I am not sure this community is toxic like some mentioned, specially when compared to other communities outthere, obviously theres always that small community of that particular server which might be closer to that though.

To summarize, this game has a decent community and if the upcoming game becomes a bit slower than this one, has some features like ranked matches, custom maps, better netcode, more server options, more support for competition, it might be a successful one.

Over 1.4k Golden Hawkeyes.
    Isn't the 2 minute round COD just death match though? There are no objectives right?

I personally hope to see an Army experience out of the game with majority realism with slower rounds with more developing action. Maybe some sort of smaller CQB battle royal type thing where the map gets smaller to ensure action with time. AA2 and AA3 had an Army feel, AAPG feels like a COD-type clone (which I thought I would like, but did not).

If they can make a game that fits both molds (how perfect!) great, but it sounds like two completely different games to be made (Army game vs run of the mill fast round CQB).
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 141Beta Tester
    <snip>

I personally hope to see an Army experience out of the game with majority realism with slower rounds with more developing action. Maybe some sort of smaller CQB battle royal type thing where the map gets smaller to ensure action with time.

<snip>

If they can make a game that fits both molds (how perfect!) great, but it sounds like two completely different games to be made (Army game vs run of the mill fast round CQB).

Agreed, save the map shrinking, as the world doesn't... given the popularity of Squad, I think there's room for expanding this particular genre.

Considering we really don't know here the next incarnation is going, we could end up with another world record breaker like AAO/AA2 :awesome: or a dud... :anguished:
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 356Player
    Isn't the 2 minute round COD just death match though? There are no objectives right?

I personally hope to see an Army experience out of the game with majority realism with slower rounds with more developing action. Maybe some sort of smaller CQB battle royal type thing where the map gets smaller to ensure action with time. AA2 and AA3 had an Army feel, AAPG feels like a COD-type clone (which I thought I would like, but did not).

No the two minute round is for Search and Destroy. I haven't played FFA on MW so I'm not sure, but TDM has like a 5+ min timer for the whole match.
    OICURMT! wrote: »
    I think 2 minute rounds, like in MW would be better.

Some example timings for various maps... direct path, no stopping to smell the roses.

Extract Maps
    Hospital | to package 25s | to extract 29s | total 54s
    Intercept | to package 20s | to extract 20s | total 40s
    Rusneyev | to package 20s | to extract 16s | total 36s
    Raptus | to package 16s | to extract 16s | total 32s

C4 Maps (PLUS 5s to arm)
    Slums | 25s to Z | 20s to Y | total 45s
    Watchdog | 19s to Y | 17s to Z | total 36s

Take & Hold (PLUS 11s for a single player to Take)
    Slums | 25s from Alpha to Z | 23s from Bravo to Y

At 2 minutes, 20%-45% of your time just running... no gunning, no aiming, no pausing to watch the sunset... just running.

Good idea if you think you'll never run into anyone...

Hmm... the majority of those maps aren't on PS4, but if that's the case then the best alternative would be decreasing the overall number of rounds in a match. Instead of a best of 11, we could have a best of 7 or 5. (Which would give much quicker matches). I also think the timer could still vary with each map. Small map = less time; Big map = more time.
    4-yr ROTC Scholarship Recipient

P0asKE2.jpg
  • [!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian[!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian Posts: 798Player
    Imagine they make the next one SOCOM style :scream: