AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    These guys are essential folks I'm sure. Priorities though, are probably all over the place.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 733Player
    Unacceptable radio silence
  • doogle! wrote: »

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1018319371828284918/5AABBCDF29361569E3490E0821AD452CE46D80F5/ they posted this on twitter someone might have already mentioned this earlier but I guess it's something
  • Would love to see a community vote on old maps, not a fixed version of the old map PIPELINE WAS A FAIL!
    doogle! wrote: »

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1018319371828284918/5AABBCDF29361569E3490E0821AD452CE46D80F5/ they posted this on twitter someone might have already mentioned this earlier but I guess it's something

Thanks for the link, glad to see they're at least responding on Twitter. Unfortunately there's no news to report there...they've been working on AA5 now for a little while. I get the small team thing, but I don't understand the secrecy.
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 92Player
    Probably so we don't disagree with them and beg for changes on things they already put work into.
  • ^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0^^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0^ Posts: 854Player

Thanks for the link, glad to see they're at least responding on Twitter. Unfortunately there's no news to report there...they've been working on AA5 now for a little while. I get the small team thing, but I don't understand the secrecy.

That probably comes from the big man dropping those dollars on the projects, not the devs.
  • V_NillaV_Nilla Posts: 96Developer

That probably comes from the big man dropping those dollars on the projects, not the devs.

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 624Beta Tester
    It is amazing how a message about silence can be told without a single self-written character...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.

For sure. They've even mentioned it before. My opinion isn't necessarily a knock against the Dev team, but the management team they're working with/for. I can't think of a good reason for the secrecy. Since the project of AA5 is known, it's not like a surprise release is going to surprise or wow anyone. In my pessimistic opinion, I think the lack of information hurts "them" more than it helps/protects them.

There's surely a target release date. I'd imagine the goals and milestones coincide closely with the end of the FY. Slap a season on it to give you some wiggle room and start marketing outside of this forum.

AA5 - Coming Winter 2020 / Spring 2021

• Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 348Beta Tester
    Doogle, just becasue you can not think of a good reason for the secrecy doesn't mean that one does not exist! Many here think of AA in terms of the standard video game business model. It's not! Once people understand that then they can open their mind to all the other things that might prevent a fix, patch or new version from being released.
    015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg
    Why are you yelling at me?

I don't need my mind opened. I've been playing since AA1, and I've been working in the government for 14 years. I know what AA is all about, and I appreciate their "model." I have a hunch where the problem lies and it's not the man with the beard and belly coding the game. Sometimes common sense fails to prevail in the government setting. There's little to no competition after all. Initiative and Give A Hoot is largely driven by the personality in charge. Projects miss their milestones and get extended to squeeze more money from the system. Is that the case here? I don't know, probably not. It's clear their dev team is tiny and continue to work other projects outside of AA5 - that's probably the primary reason for the delay.

But the lack of transparency? I cannot think of a reasonable....reason?...for it. The die hard AA fans (us still patrolling the forum) understand the limitations on AGS. And I think we'd appreciate the transparency and understand the delays and LIMFACs. There's very little buzz to AA5 now. When it was first announced, this thread was the happening place. Now, the best you get is some disgruntled middle-aged man pokes their head in every few months to ask about AA5.

No news seems to me that AA5 is not even close to completion. If they want this launch to go well, they really need a good product to deliver and then they need a sound marketing strategy. I hope I'm wrong though. As it was alluded to by a previous AGS employee, they wanted to pump it out (or at least secure funding) with the current people in power in the govt. With election season right around the corner and the fiscal year coming to an end this September, it's also plausible they are "close" to a release or news of some sort.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 337Player
    Now, the best you get is some disgruntled middle-aged man pokes their head in every few months to ask about AA5.
    You didn't have to call me out so deliberately.
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 92Player
    Probably trying to coincide with the release of the new console systems.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    jgvn11 wrote: »
    Probably trying to coincide with the release of the new console systems.

I think so too.

I'm not sure about the size of AA5's team, but I think they only have about 2-3 people working on AA:PG.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
    edited April 2020

For sure. They've even mentioned it before. My opinion isn't necessarily a knock against the Dev team, but the management team they're working with/for. I can't think of a good reason for the secrecy. Since the project of AA5 is known, it's not like a surprise release is going to surprise or wow anyone. In my pessimistic opinion, I think the lack of information hurts "them" more than it helps/protects them.

There's surely a target release date. I'd imagine the goals and milestones coincide closely with the end of the FY. Slap a season on it to give you some wiggle room and start marketing outside of this forum.

AA5 - Coming Winter 2020 / Spring 2021

TL:DR

I know what you mean and I do agree, we both play this series since AA1 and we both see how over the years the disconnect have been made between their player base and the Dev Team by BigMan dropping NDA's on them. The BigMan don't care if the game is playable nor fun as long it suits his agenda which is pure advertisement for the U.S. Army.

Hence why the videos in the loading screen are monitored and those stats are being used to see if the game is popular and keep the BigMan happy. Which is the main reason I disabled those videos, I'm not in the mood to be a number on a stat sheet because it makes me feel disrespected as a fan and hardcore player of the game. Don't get me wrong, advertising the Army in the game is always been their goal but it's just executed incorrectly. And AAPG never gave me that close connection to the U.S. Army it actually pushed me away more and feel like no one ever took this game seriously.

That's why I personally think aaHollywood moved on because he also saw that big disconnect between the players and the game and the gap was just to big that it was going to take a huge miracle to get that spark back. And we live in 2020, it's just not enough anymore of just shooting each other for fun. We are living in a new world were the generation of today is more competitive than anything else, and the AA series should evolve around that to maximise the eyeballs on the U.S. Army.

--

Personally I think AAV should be build for two different scenes that is screaming for a good shooter.

For the casual players among us, give them that real U.S. Army feeling back. Like AA2, Rifle Training, Marksman Training, Medical Training and bring back Vehicle Training and pve maps. People still want that badly. The old Honor ranking system with the uniform stats page. Make them feel like they are part of the Army with in the game, that will pull in a lot of young players.

For the competitive players, two ways the game should have it. Dedicated Servers is a must, with triple the options we have now, and I mean options like giving us full power over the game server and gameplay. Enable and Disabling options for weapons like what rifles to allow, or shotguns. Allowing us to disable nades, or just the flashes so we play with grenades and smokes only. The option to disable unnecessary sounds like flying over jets or the very annoying music we have like in Hospital, allowing us to disable smoke/snow/dust particles and other surrounding effects on maps that we don't need in competitive gameplay and are just eating frames for no good reason.

That's one, the other thing should be something like a comp mode. Which can be made possible with integrating something like FACEIT for competitive match searches and ladder based match up's. If executed correctly and supported by good servers, you will have a big load of players playing daily.

It's a lot of text, got carried away a little bit. But it all comes down, BigMan needs to remove that giant metal plate in-front of his head and start listening to all the players on this forum, absorb everything we say, dream and want. And try to make the impossible possible.

You can't advertise that you are the greatest army in the world,
    and than gives us games like AA3 and AAPG. (Sarcasm).
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 348Beta Tester
    < snip >
    I wasn't yelling. I did not type in all caps which is the usual way one yells in text. I typed two words in bold for effect. That's not yelling. It appeas your bias is showing.
    Also clear is that you misunderstood my post. I can not tell you what I do not know and you seem reluctant to accept what little I do.

015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg
    edited April 2020
    Duke_Audi wrote: »
    < snip >
    I wasn't yelling. I did not type in all caps which is the usual way one yells in text. I typed two words in bold for effect. That's not yelling. It appeas your bias is showing.
    Also clear is that you misunderstood my post. I can not tell you what I do not know and you seem reluctant to accept what little I do.

Simply saying you were not yelling is enough, no need to poke a bear twice.
    Lets keep it cool in here.
    Duke_Audi wrote: »
    < snip >

The exclamation points in your post is why I said you were yelling. And I really only commented on that in jest anyway.

I'm not upset with you, you've always presented yourself as one of the more reasonable Betas and this exchange doesn't change my opinion of you. I did not misunderstand your post, I heard it loud and clear (get it?). I simply retorted, this is a discussion board after all.

What did you try to tell me that I'm reluctant to accept? You only stated the obvious: that ASG is small, silenced by their employers, and cannot be fairly compared to the larger studios. I acknowledged all of that in my response.

What bias btw? I love this game, I only want to see it succeed. Just because the game is no-cost to the players does not mean that we cannot speak of our opinions on the game and how the Army/ASG chooses to handle this project.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    There are a lot of us who have a lot of negative things to say that doesn't help the game. In fact it probably hurts it. The thing many on the project team (devs and betas) are reluctant to accept is that we aren't as impressed with what we play as they are with what they've worked on so long to polish. I think they see that, but likely are not happy with it.

The AA player base may be the most negative group of people I've ever come across, but most of us aren't just coming in and slamming the game and walking away to make it fail. We come in, slam the game, wash, rinse, and repeat. Oh and we do play the game enough to satisfy our arguments whether those are relevant or not either. Whether we have the right or not, we demand an excellent game and we'll be here to pound that in from all different angles of opinions as long as this game series is around.

Tough skin is required all around.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!