Opt-in 3: Sound

Comments

• .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Agree with ek, the sound is coming along very well. Also agree with the dynamics being odd. And 2 things on player sound. 1) If the lean makes no noise to my opponent, why does it sound like I'm wearing a newspaper jacket when I lean? There should be symmetry between what the opponent hears and what you hear. 2) I still think all player generated sounds are louder than they should be.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,055Moderator
    I think there are a lot of misunderstanding going around.
    Some discuss the quality, some the sound "type".
    Its like music, the recording can be topnotch quality, but if its not your type of music it will be "bad".
    It probably would be nice/useful with differentiating between it when providing feedback
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • -=312th=-Delta_Force-=312th=-Delta_Force Posts: 30Player
    The sound is still hollow and does work when there is more then one sound at once or within a short distance. It seems to cut off the first sound and the echo it produces.
  • {Armada}Loom{Armada}Loom Posts: 7Player
    edited May 2015
    I would really like to try the new version with the old sound... currently the sound alone makes it unplayable for me. (plus the yellow scheme is downright disgusting)
    As it was mentioned here before, there's been an improvement since OPT1 but its feels like the improvement over 3 tests has been so marginal that the end result needs a year's worth of work to be even playable.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    The only place I heard the sound out of wack is playing in blue on downtown.

Other than that.. the directional is good...

When will vertical sound be implemented?
    That will help big time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • intoXicatedintoXicated Posts: 12Player
    edited May 2015
    Sounds of soldier movement are too laud, and it sounds like he was dressed in rustling plastic bag.
    edited May 2015
    Yes the quality of sounds like guns, movement, enemy healing etc. are all questionable.. don't seem to be growing on us .. id prefer open beta sounds with opt in directional as i mentioned before.

• Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    Loving the new sound, a lot of progress has been made so don't hate me for my opinion....but seriously I cannot get over the sound of footsteps on metal or wood. The dirt sounds normal but running on metal sounds so wrong it makes me laugh. Anyone else feel this way? Just my opinion

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited May 2015
    i said from the first opt in, the sound of walking on some metal makes a ridiculous sound resembling suction cups. also has a ticking/jingling in there that fakes you out and makes you think an enemy is swapping weapons, etc. that same ticking/jingling can be heard repeatedly on some types of wood floors like in siege.

• iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    edited May 2015
    Yeah the surface sounds have been horrible since like RFI-1? Before that i think they had actual metal sounds for the metal surface. At any rate... the surface sounds just suck. Make them good. I'd toss this in the box with all the other poor sound samples. Surface differentiation is very important. I don't care what types of boots soldiers wear. When they walk on metal it will sound like metal ... or at the very least it won't sound like grass or some other surface
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • LeMaestroLeMaestro Posts: 26Player
    Lets give the Devs a chance here, they are working with a new audio engine that they also have to master.
    The audio in Opti3 is way better that it was in previous Optin, so they seems to be learning.
    For me positional audio is the most important, if they can get that right the objects sound can be fixed later.
    Also I found out, a few years ago, that sound is very hardware dependent.
    On board sound is very crappy compare to a dedicated good sound card.
    So what you are hearing might not be the same that an other player is hearing.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Part of it may just be that sounds are acting more like they would in the real world and it can be confusing.

A dramatization of me waking up to a truck outside my window this morning:
    jiF4Gag.png

I imagine at least some of the challenge with the new sound engine and directionality is adjusting to how everything works now. That picture's just a real-life example of occlusion and reflection completely altering the apparent location of an object.
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    Someone should take game footage and overlay it with the gun sounds they would like to have over the top. I remember someone did this in dayz when everyone was raging at the sound.

Now, thats good sound

2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 359Player
    nice video bada.
    those are nice clear sounds... we could wish I guess

• SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    The difference is they don't sound dampened. We need clear, pure sounds, easy to distinguish.
  • SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    Thank you all for your feedback. Rest assured we are reading and discussing options as we proceed forward.