AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 705Player
    edited January 20
    V_NillaJ wrote: »
    doogle! wrote: »
    Wish they'd at least give a hint of life happening in Huntsville.

The weather is bipolar, the economy is booming, and parking stinks if you show up late.

Nilla, give me approx 5 years and I'll come rock the boat at AGS for you.
  • {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 207Player
    AAPG uninstalled since beginning of 2018 and got a good replacement with Squad. Anything new here, AA5 on track? I would love to come back again and play AA. I don‘t need a copy of my favourite AA2, AAPG was also fun but graphics and number of players bore me.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,146Player
    {M.9}-Arko wrote: »
    AAPG uninstalled since beginning of 2018 and got a good replacement with Squad. Anything new here, AA5 on track? I would love to come back again and play AA. I don‘t need a copy of my favourite AA2, AAPG was also fun but graphics and number of players bore me.

Dev team seems to have their lips sealed and no one knows when they'll actually give us any news (as they can't say). I'd say just check back every month or two and see if there's anything.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • V_NillaJV_NillaJ Posts: 85Developer
    V_NillaJ wrote: »
    doogle! wrote: »
    Wish they'd at least give a hint of life happening in Huntsville.

The weather is bipolar, the economy is booming, and parking stinks if you show up late.

This is the info I need. Also, what is the doughnut policy there? Is there a handbook or job aid for when doughnuts are required, quantity and freshness?

Edit: I'd this sounds like sarcasm, I promise it's not. Genuinely curious

It's funny that you ask... there legitimately is an official donut protocol. If you're going to be late, you get rewarded with a terrible parking spot... and the responsibility to supply donuts to the team.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 347Player
    "SF wrote:
    [-General_alkos;67843"]Bok!
    old players from aa2 have the right to say something!
    i still have server on aa2 (Grandma was slow but she was old!)
    aa2 is slowly shutting down and I'll probably shut down the server.
    give us aa5 but with less options for hard campers!!!

Most of us here are old AA2 players and sure, our input can be worthwhile, but if AA5 wants to be successful, it has to appeal to teen and 20s players more than us old farts. I still think that AA2 is a good template, but AA5 needs to bring AA2 into the 2020s... meaning it needs to be modernized and fit the styles of gameplay that are more relevant in the current market. I'd personally love a game that plays like AA2, but is more competition oriented.

What the game needs in the future then, are more cosmetic features.

More stuff to have and look cool with, like calling cards and emblems simmilar to COD. Numerous skins and uniform patterns would be nice as well.

The game also needs some casual friendly type modes. I like the game's current modes, but perhaps some team death match, or FFA could be included as well in the future, where respawn is enabled, and the maps are designed with that in mind.

Also, the game looks more so like a PS2-PS3 game than a PS4 game... Graphics need a huge upgrade.

Finally, the game needs some popularity/hype. That and a lot of content on day one of its release
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • [!ReDRuM!]Damian[!ReDRuM!]Damian Posts: 777Player
    Cosmetic's, calling cards, emblems. They are all overrated and used by so many games, it has become a pointless item in shooters. The key element they should focus on is Dedicated servers, with the ability for server admins to customise their server more than we are able now.

- Selecting which type of weapons to allow, and how many of each of them.
    - More server side UI control.
    - More server side match settings control.

Start with that and give the comp community more options than we have now, and the game will see more success then we have seen with aapg right now.
    edited January 24
    I like what AAPG did by having challenges that allow you to unlock skins. It kept things interesting for a while. For a game studio that isn't allowed to make money off the game (which I still find to be silly), it's the only way they can go about cosmetics.

I would also love to have deathmatch with respawns. It's a great way to practice and warm up before playing. Even if it's laser tag or paintball mode, whatever. Either way, those things are nice to have features. Personally, I'd be very surprised if AA5 is not Esports oriented considering where the Army is pushing their gaming side of things. I just hope they can figure out how to make a competitive game that does something different. It doesn't necessarily need to be super fast or act like Counter-Strike. It can certainly take inspiration from other games, but it needs to do something new. Slower paced games can have a lot of tension if done right. However, there's a difference between a game that does 5+ minute rounds where everyone's constantly doing something vs. one where there's 5 minute rounds and people are just sitting around waiting for the timer to hit 1 minute before moving.
    Cosmetic's, calling cards, emblems. They are all overrated and used by so many games, it has become a pointless item in shooters. The key element they should focus on is Dedicated servers, with the ability for server admins to customise their server more than we are able now.

Start with that and give the comp community more options than we have now, and the game will see more success then we have seen with aapg right now.

Cosmetics are used by so many games because they are very popular. If AA5 is to be successful then it must have cosmetics, calling cards, ect. And it must have this stuff on day one.

I'm not saying that the game should only focus on cosmetics, but that it should focus on competing with games in today's market.

The problem with AA:PG is that it presents a serious, un-welcoming grind to level up, with few incentives to do so. There needs to be more rewards for investing time in AA. Anything ranging from more load-out options to more weapons, maybe even special commands/abilities.

Finally, Americas Army needs to have something special -- something that makes it stand out.

I think the devs need to research the FPS market, and figure out what special feature(s) or gameplay mechanic(s) they can add to Americas army to make it stand out among other titles, and not make it look like a rip off of some other title.

P0asKE2.jpg

Cosmetics are used by so many games because they are very popular. If AA5 is to be successful then it must have cosmetics, calling cards, ect. And it must have this stuff on day one.

I'm not saying that the game should only focus on cosmetics, but that it should focus on competing with games in today's market.

The problem with AA:PG is that it presents a serious, un-welcoming grind to level up, with few incentives to do so. There needs to be more rewards for investing time in AA. Anything ranging from more load-out options to more weapons, maybe even special commands/abilities.

Finally, Americas Army needs to have something special -- something that makes it stand out.

I think the devs need to research the FPS market, and figure out what special feature(s) or gameplay mechanic(s) they can add to Americas army to make it stand out among other titles, and not make it look like a rip off of some other title.

The America's Army games as they were/are is what make their titles special, adding calling cards and all that other mojo people want these days takes that away. It drops the game in the list of "oh look, another shooter" instead of "Finally we have a new game in their unique series".

The best way to bring that glorious feel America's Army games had, is simple. And a lot will agree when I say, bring out America's Army: Special Force 2. Now it's not that they should do it by making a remastered of the old one, but by using that template and bring in more. Give us back the feel where you had to work for the class by doing the trainings first before you were enable to use them like Medic, Marksman, Special Force, AR Gunners, Hummer Driver/Gunner.

After AA2 we went backwards if it comes to gameplay, AA3 was a total failure and now we have AAPG which is the most arcade shooter in their series. If they can turn that around we are all set..

Then not to forget, for the comp scene. The best option I personally think is to build in FACEIT, it's been heavily used with B1944 even though not 100% correctly executed. If done right, it can bring a lot of joy.
    No cosmetic gimmicks until the game is complete and competition is integrated. At most, I'd say a patch on the left arm of the OCPs that can be customized...like where a morale patch would go IRL. Your pawn (and your patch) are still only rendered as Op4 to the opposing teamt, but friendlies on your side can see your patch. I'd do that before any consideration of skinning weapons (outside of urban, artic, woodland, etc).

The America's Army games as they were/are is what make their titles special, adding calling cards and all that other mojo people want these days takes that away. It drops the game in the list of "oh look, another shooter" instead of "Finally we have a new game in their unique series".

The best way to bring that glorious feel America's Army games had, is simple. And a lot will agree when I say, bring out America's Army: Special Force 2. Now it's not that they should do it by making a remastered of the old one, but by using that template and bring in more. Give us back the feel where you had to work for the class by doing the trainings first before you were enable to use them like Medic, Marksman, Special Force, AR Gunners, Hummer Driver/Gunner.

After AA2 we went backwards if it comes to gameplay, AA3 was a total failure and now we have AAPG which is the most arcade shooter in their series. If they can turn that around we are all set..

I cannot speak on past titles, but while AAPG has good aspects to it, I think the only thing I find special about it, that truly sets it apart from other FPS titles, are the loading videos.

They're pretty brief and give you a glimpse of life in the military, but they become boring as you see the same video over and over again. I think these loading videos could be an excellent way to support the community by having a highlight reel of community gameplay every week (or two), developer updates, community announcements, ect.

Adding cosmetics could only add, not take away, from the series. Cosmetics might not have been such a big deal 15-20 years ago when AA1, and then AA2 came out. But that was nearly two decades ago.

Times have changed. Fortnite will tell you that match. Young people want to have plenty of ways to show off and look cool. If the game is to appeal to a younger crowd, it must have shiny cool stuff to grab their attention. And a lot of hype.

As far as comp scene goes. I think the developers could definitely do a better job. Private Lobbies (on PS4) should've came out on day one. They need to do that for AA5. Matchmaking needs a huge improvement. I think the ability to own/have your own server on PS4/console would be an excellent idea as well.

Cross Play will also be a necessity if AA5 isn't a PS4 (PS5?) exclusive.

P0asKE2.jpg
    Adding cosmetics could only add, not take away, from the series.

I'd agree with that with any other studio. But since these guys are so understaffed and slow to release updates, anything that doesn't contribute to the actual gameplay of the game (thus taking away their time), takes away from the series.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 357Player
    15-20 years ago when AA1, and then AA2 came out.

mind blown.
    Oh well.
    I cannot speak on past titles, but while AAPG has good aspects to it, I think the only thing I find special about it, that truly sets it apart from other FPS titles, are the loading videos.

Here's the biggest problem. AAPG had some good things going for it (although, I'd say it also had a lot going against it), but as you say here, nothing besides some loading screen videos (that no one cares about after seeing them the 2nd or 3rd time) that set it apart from other games in the market. The AA devs really need to ask themselves prior to releasing AA5 why would anyone want to play this game over CS or R6 or any of the other games that would compete with this. If they have no answer for that, then they better go back to the drawing board.
    Fortnite is not an FPS game, and has been milked by so many studio's that tried to make the same type of game and failed. The only reason that it gain hype was Ninja, and it going downhill for those games as we speak. Even Fortnite is losing its players and those type of games are becoming the past.

The only Army feel in AAPG is indeed the video's, the rest is pure arcade. Which if you look back at AASF it gave that army feel with so many other things, the main thing was those trainings you had to do.

But in the end, we will see if they learn/listen to the community. It's the big man that tells them how to make the game regardless of our opinions and as long he doesn't learn from the mistakes he made we will have to settle with what ever type of game we will get next.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 580Beta Tester
    The only Army feel in AAPG is indeed the video's, the rest is pure arcade. Which if you look back at AASF it gave that army feel with so many other things, the main thing was those trainings you had to do.

I agree, that AAPG looks and feels more arcade than AA3 for example (I didn't play AA2). However, if you look at the underlying game mechanics, AAPG is not arcade. Significant penalty for low health, aimpunch, slow movement, significant recoil, etc - these are not characteristic for an arcade game.

And I think this is one of the thing AAPG did wrong. There is a significant discrepancy between the art style/first impression and the game mechanics. The players wanting a hardcore military game are scared away by the first impressions (vibrant colors, cartoonish art style, etc). The players wanting an arcade game will dislike the game mechanics, which are more hardcore.

One particular example: weapon recoil. If you look at how much a gun kicks measured in degrees, it is a lot. Especially if you are low health, etc. But even if you are full HP, if you empty an M4 mag with full auto fire, you will be looking ~45° up. I didn't try many games, but this is kind of like Arma3. In an arcade game, e.g. CoD:MW, this is about 10° (based on youtube videos).

However, if you look down a scope and shoot, you don't "feel" the power of the gun in AAPG. It feels like you are firing an airsoft gun. I think this is partly because the scope doesn't move closer to the player camera, when the gun is fired - not even with the M24! In AAPG, your view is fixed to the weapon stock. If you fire a real gun, your shoulder is pushed back, the gun barrel moves up (without rotating your head with it!), etc. The gun moves relative to your hand and body. You don't "feel"/see any of this in AAPG. Thus, it feels like you fired a BB gun.

BUT, combine the two effects, and you get a gun which:
    -kicks like a mule, you have to compensate for a lot of recoil
    -based on the animation, it feels like a BB gun
    I think this might be part of the reason, why some players find AAPG weird.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    edited February 2
    Fortnite is not an FPS game, and has been milked by so many studio's that tried to make the same type of game and failed. The only reason that it gain hype was Ninja, and it going downhill for those games as we speak. Even Fortnite is losing its players and those type of games are becoming the past.

But in the end, we will see if they learn/listen to the community. It's the big man that tells them how to make the game regardless of our opinions and as long he doesn't learn from the mistakes he made we will have to settle with what ever type of game we will get next.

There aren't tons of metrics that I can point to for Fortnite, but I still see it everywhere in the mainstream... action figures in stores, kids walking around with Fortnite memorabilia, all sorts of things. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while. Most serious gamers have moved on, but at the same time the market still stinks right now. I haven't touched a multiplayer game in months. CoD was a bust and people are still waiting for the next best thing. Right now Escape from Tarkov is the big hype thing, but we'll see how long that lasts.

In terms of training, I do think it's an important aspect to have in an America's Army game. I really don't see the point of an America's Army game without it (how do you educate people about the Army without it?) However, no one played the game for the training. I remember most people just wanted to get it done so they could get into the game or get the new feature associated with it. What it comes down to is that AA1 & AA2 were unique for their time. Much of what was in those games are now standard features in most other games in the market, even if there isn't anything out there that is exactly like it. Could an AA2 remake even be successful in today's market? I'm not so sure it could. It could possibly make a nice niche for itself, but it won't be as big as the original.

If AA5 wants to be successful it needs to do something unique again. I'm not sure what that thing is, but the Developers need to figure it out if they want the next game to do well. It can't be a remake of AA2, AA3, or AAPG and it can't just be a standard shooter. It needs to do something different than everything else on the market. It can certainly take the best features from all of the games that came before it, it can even use AA2's gameplay style as a basis, but it needs more.
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 765Player
    If AA5 wants to be successful it needs to hire me... I am the secret weapon to make a good fps o:)
    By the time it is out, if it even comes out, I will be a meme from the good old AA2 "My grandma was slow but she was old".

Over 1.4k Golden Hawkeyes.
    edited February 3
    If AA5 wants to be successful it needs to hire me... I am the secret weapon to make a good fps o:)
    By the time it is out, if it even comes out, I will be a meme from the good old AA2 "My grandma was slow but she was old".

We both know they can't hire players with the status like we have, that falls outside the budget :3 Plus, looking at your stats, they cannot allow you to be lmao.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 455Player
    As said by both users and devs, they can't compete with other studios budgets. They have to do something truly unique and make it legitimately feel like the army. It has to be both sim (in the sense you feel the Army experience) and gamey to appease the masses.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!