Lag and inability to fire

Idle_WildIdle_Wild Posts: 32Player
What I've noticed over the past month:

* Players are hitting me before they're even on my screen. Usually they're high pingers. I thought the netcode had been "fixed" to prevent this from happening but certainly over the past month its become chronic.
* My weapon refuses to fire. I press the mouse button and nothing. I have to remove my finger and re-press before anything will happen. And before you ask, no it's not the mouse.

Comments

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 596Beta Tester
    How do you know they are high pingers? AFAIK you cannot see ping values for other players, unless you are using an admin command. I don't think "netcode" has changed recently... Is your connection certainly OK?

I'd gladly take any videos from the "unable to fire" bug. I'm interested in the events from ~30s before the bug to you being able to fire again. I have experienced this 1-2 times over the years, but I was never able to replicate it despite some serious effort...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • [!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian[!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian Posts: 798Player
    edited December 2019
    How do you know they are high pingers? AFAIK you cannot see ping values for other players, unless you are using an admin command. I don't think "netcode" has changed recently... Is your connection certainly OK?

Players are teleporting, regardless if they have high ping or not. Myself have had this issue couple times last 2 weeks and my guess from time to time you get massive dysnc, specially on full servers (including full spectators). Nothing really the devs can do, since they are limited with the tools they have for this game so it will be a ongoing issue.

I'd gladly take any videos from the "unable to fire" bug. I'm interested in the events from ~30s before the bug to you being able to fire again. I have experienced this 1-2 times over the years, but I was never able to replicate it despite some serious effort...

This issue is more common lately, most likely duo a input lagg between player systems and servers. Old engine, not much they can do about it.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester
    As one who suffers from high ping I say it’s not possible to shoot a player with a much lower ping before they see my pawn. Think about it. A higher ping means it takes longer for data to travel between my system and the server and vice versa. This is why it is so very hard for me to beat another player when face to face. They see my pawn and can fire before I see them, not the other way around. Same for why I die when behind cover. My screen shows that I’ve made it safely but due to the higher ping my opponent still sees my pawn in the clear.
    I too have had the “no fire when hitting the left mouse button” problem. It’s happened more times than I can count lately. Most blame it on my set up. (In order to get a high speed internet connection where I live I have to use my mobile phone.) But then why are others having this problem who have wired connections?
    015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg
  • Idle_WildIdle_Wild Posts: 32Player
    edited December 2019
    Yes but it's client side hit detection. So I believe the following scenario is accurate. You have a 300ms ping, and say you have a typical reaction time of 150ms. You are crouched behind cover. I stand up from behind cover and expose myself. My action to stand up is sent to the server (50ms) and then sent to your client (150ms). You stand up, this movement is sent to the server (150ms). You see me and instantly fire. Your client confirms the hit and kill. This command is sent to the server (150ms). 50ms after you fire, the update that you have stood up reaches my client. 100ms later the server recieves the update from your client that you have shot and killed me. 50ms after that (150ms after my client is informed you have stood up and are visible and before I can react) the server informs me I have been killed.

This is one of the lag scenarios which I believe is happening, but on occassion I will see a shot, and no enemy is even visible.

This would also explain why I am often shot and killed after I have crouched for cover on my client, or ran behind a wall.

It isnt right. It puts everyone with a low ping at a disadvantage, If we had server side hit detection, it would stop a lot of this nonsense.
  • Idle_Wild wrote: »
    It isnt right. It puts everyone with a low ping at a disadvantage, If we had server side hit detection, it would stop a lot of this nonsense.

Not really, some servers with SSHD have the same issues. But I do agree that CSHD is a bad choice for developers since it opens the door and makes it easier for 3th party software to be used.
    In general: if you have high ping you will get shot behind cover. But you will also kill people who are behind cover (on their screen). So it is not a pure benefit, nor a pure disadvantage - but it is definitely creating (how should I put this...) sub-optimal experience for everyone. But I do realize, that some people don't have the option to have low ping.

AFAIK client side hitreg is used in most games today, as games favor the experience of the shooter. It is a compromise. If server side hitreg was used, then it would be a lot more common that on your end it seems like the enemy should be dead, but he doesn't die - because the server saw him move to cover, but this info didn't make it to you just yet. So server side hitreg is a compromise as well.

Some games have a ping limit (BF 1 did this for sure, I think at 150ms). If you go over the limit, the game will use server side hitreg just for your shots. If this happens, the game will notify you, that you should lead your shots to compensate for latency.
  • Idle_WildIdle_Wild Posts: 32Player
    So this is a Game Support Forum, where is the support from the people who make the game?

* Are you aware of these issues?
    * Are you looking into them?
    * Will anything be done whatsoever to attempt to resolve them?
    Idle_Wild wrote: »
    So this is a Game Support Forum, where is the support from the people who make the game?

The developers rarely respond on the forum. (This does not mean that they don't read it.) And I cannot talk for them.

But here is my 2 cents:
    -Your first issue seems like a connection problem. It is impossible to tell the source of it, there is no data what anyone else could "look into". I really-really doubt that the netcode has changed recently. This means something else did: maybe the server performance, maybe your home connection, maybe the routing your ISP uses. It is not even clear if they need to look into it or not.
    -You are not the first to mention the second issue, so I'm pretty sure they know about it. However, it makes the job quite difficult that noone managed to discover the steps needed to recreate the issue (AFAIK). This is why I'm asking for videos.

However, we do know that most attention is on the new AA game. In a way this is unfortunate news for AAPG. But good news for AA as a whole.
  • [DFekt].Unyielding[DFekt].Unyielding Posts: 58Player
    edited January 4
    Idle_Wild wrote: »

The best thing that could happen for the problem to be resolved is for someone to figure out "EXACTLY" what causes the bug. No one has come forward with a direct video showing what he/she was doing when the bug occurs. If you ever do record the video encountering the bug, send it directly to support and you'll see a fix released. Only a handful of players have actually experienced this inability to fire. I've got thousands of hours of playing time and only ever encountered the bug once - and all I did was switch to my pistol after throwing a flash. I repeatedly tried simulating the process before encountering the bug and could not replicate whatever triggered it.

Developers (and the Beta team) are constantly looking into bugs that are reported to them. So are many players like myself. Updates come out with bug fixes on about a monthly basis as you can see in the announcements.
    Steve / 31Bravo
    Army Veteran
    NREMT-Paramedic
  • H.E.A.T.H.E.A.T. Posts: 214Player
    hay all i have one vid at you mean look at me when i m at garden and you never see that guy who killd me.

edited January 5
    H.E.A.T. wrote: »
    hay all i have one vid at you mean look at me when i m at garden and you never see that guy who killd me.

Next time look closer. Around 1:49, the guy is clearly visible for a few frames. You just had unlucky timing with scoping up. See attached images.
    enemy01.png 482.5K
    H.E.A.T. wrote: »

Next time look closer. Around 1:49, the guy is clearly visible for a few frames. You just had unlucky timing with scoping up. See attached images.

how fast are you??i never see it come but i guess you are hacker self and thats way i can take it but aa2 will give you some one more =)
    look at this i have new pc and im die and whats your problen at yes you VPN turn off that [TOS Violation]
  • [!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian[!ReDRuM!]L0rdDamian Posts: 798Player
    edited January 6
    I used to report bugs, years ago, and gave up since they are still in the game.

- Nade run bug, still in the game. It's a known bug for many years now.
    - 2 rounds mag after throwing a nade before or after being revived, old bug.
    - Losing nade just by holding it in hand and dying with it, old bug.
    - Braking animation when cooking the nade laying down and standing up to throw it, old bug.
    - - Also creates scenario where it become a silent nade and prevents soldiers to call it out.
    - Unable to fire your weapon, happens to me when I start firing at the end of the climbing animation.

There are more, but I mostly just ignore it since point in making myself go crazy about it.

But here is my 2 cents:
    -Your first issue seems like a connection problem. It is impossible to tell the source of it, there is no data what anyone else could "look into". I really-really doubt that the netcode has changed recently. This means something else did: maybe the server performance, maybe your home connection, maybe the routing your ISP uses. It is not even clear if they need to look into it or not.

C'mon now, we both know this game has network issues. They tried to improve the netcode but it didn't really bring any positive effects to the table. You will see it less on the official servers since they are running the 64bit client (Which is why I can play on them with the 64bit version of the game.) and there are a couple private servers using those same settings. But in general most private servers are using the 32bit client which bottle necks the performance of both the server and network.

For example, on one of the servers we play both BDX and FLO. When playing the BDX with full teams my ping is between 15/20, on FLO with full teams the ping jumps up to 40/50. Also getting 40/50 ping on a server that is literately in my backyard while using a 500 GB up/down speed connection is something that should never happen in any game. Having a connection with two different servers doesn't help aether, you're not only connecting to the game server but also the auth server. Which is also giving performance loss if it comes to gameplay.

Most players, like myself have such a high movement and never sit still longer then 5 seconds feel the most issues of the current network/netcode. You can't properly positioning yourself with out the netcode correcting itself and making your character jump multiple pixels left or right. A good way to see the skipping is by moving left to right for a long period of time. You can also really mess up the netcode by doing stupid stuff like going prone on the wheelchair in front of surgery, or sliding true small area's like vents or the opening on to south roof on Raptus. Which gives me the ability to speed run across the map in less then a second shoot some one and when I let go of my wasd keys it teleports me back to that opening I began sliding thru.

But let's be fair here, it's a game running on a outdated engine using the 32bit client and will never have the ability to perform as good as the newer games out there. Best thing we can all do is accept that it is like this, and hope the development team learns from it and improve along the way.
  • UltraInstinctSaiyanUltraInstinctSaiyan Posts: 11Player
    edited January 12
    I happened to me yesterday. I was throwing smoke and nade before, and jumping over ledge to shoot and clicked like 5 times and nothing happened. M4 wasn't in single mode. Overall server I was playing on felt laggy and it feels that way on any connection I tried it on, 40 or 60 ping.