AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,016Moderator
    i know!
    Soon™!!

(i know nothing...)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 445Player
    Your nothing is more than our nothing though. What do two nothings equal?
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 678Player
    There needs to be no open beta. Just release a complete game after a marketing blitz.
    No beta?!?!

2FC5F16900000578-0-image-a-4_1451862113388.jpg
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 550Beta Tester
    edited September 16
    Your nothing is more than our nothing though. What do two nothings equal?

If I know nothing, does that mean I know something? Does nothing classify as something?
    7.jpg
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    No beta?!?!

No Open Beta. It can only do two things for the audience - disappoint and/or mislead. Release the full version.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    doogle! wrote: »
    No beta?!?!

No Open Beta. It can only do two things for the audience - disappoint and/or mislead. Release the full version.

Early access has been successful for a lot of games. The thing is that if you release an early access game you need to be at a state where the core functions of the game are SOLID. If you can do that and just say that you'll keep adding as you go along, you have a chance. If you release an early access that's trash then fuhgeddaboudit.

In today's environment you can't release 1.0 and call it a day anyway. Games have to be continually changing and adding to keep things fresh otherwise they'll die out after 6 months when everyone gets bored. The original America's Army did that well. Even AAPG did it fairly well during beta. It's just that the core game did nothing that got people excited enough to drop CS or other games in favor of it.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,016Moderator
    Early access/beta in most games i seen is actually RC3(or something), its not a real beta version, so it gets a little askew when we release a public beta, and its actually a beta when the public expects a fairly polished release candidate.
    ss_4_frankof.png
    frankof wrote: »
    Early access/beta in most games i seen is actually RC3(or something), its not a real beta version, so it gets a little askew when we release a public beta, and its actually a beta when the public expects a fairly polished release candidate.

That's kinda my point. The community as a whole is fairly unforgiving. If they're not satisfied...even if it's a "beta," we risk them leaving and not returning.
  • AvgusteAvguste Posts: 120Player
    I do hope they have learned their lesson from Proving Ground and go back to AA2 type of style, including maps, tactical and slow play

• SeVn.ras7SeVn.ras7 Posts: 8Player
    i don't expect any previews of AA5 before 2020... we've been waiting already for too long...
    ss_4_sevn.ras7.png
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 290Player
    Just wanted to come out of the ashes and say Hi. Hoping for good news, Catching up from the past 8 months or so, and I actually agree that no open Beta is probbly a good thing. Most of the software projects I have been on, betas open to the public rarely provide value. They can muddy the waters, and give upper management talking points that sidetrack the project.

Miss you guys
    XOXO
  • [kT]Dominus[kT]Dominus Posts: 85Player
    I don't know why people want AA2 back. Why should AA5 be built off of a game released in 2002? That's not what FPS are anymore. The larger gaming community, barring the few hundred that still play AAPG because they want it to be AA2, prefers a smaller team vs team, balanced and at LEAST mildly competitive experience in gaming.

That at least adds to the longevity of the game. Nobody plays for levels, skins, or achievements for very long. It's all community and competition, so work on those and do what works instead of recreating something in the past..

An example of games that add those:
    Rocket League - Skill based MM
    Counter Strike Global Offensive - Skill based MM
    Rainbow 6 - Skill based MM
    Overwatch - Skill based MM
    Dota 2 - Skill based mm
    LoL - Skill based mm
    PUBG - Competition and community
    WoW - Competition and Community
    GTA V - Community
    Destinty 2 - Community
    Rust - Community

Games that had beta to increase exposure:
    Rocket League
    CSGO
    World of Warcraft
    PUBG
    Overwatch

My point is, R&D creates an environment for projects to succeed, not listening to speculation from loud forum users. There is nothing we can do as a community to help create that environment, we learned that trying very very hard to be heard during the course of AAPG's lifetime.
    edited October 4
    I agree, competition is of utmost importance. The game will never go anywhere without competitive matchmaking. However, the game still needs to feel like an Army game. Personally, I haven't touched AAPG in like 8 months and I tried a few rounds today and the game felt like I was wading through a swamp. SLOW and sluggish. It's a game that just does not work in today's market. That's the main thing that these developers need to figure out... how to bring America's Army into the modern gaming scene while not coming off as a CoD or CS clone.

I also agree that AA2 was a product of its time and a remake won't necessarily be popular in today's market. However, the game did have some good features and mechanics that could certainly be utilized in a new AA game. I will say that trying to bring back 7-10 minute rounds would make the game DOA from day 1, sorry to the old timers who love that kind of gameplay.
    Don't remake any version. It won't work. Make something good with competitive priority being the core component. That's it.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Hc|CAPTAIN(HUN)Hc|CAPTAIN(HUN) Posts: 110Player
    I hope there will be an open beta. Atleast we got to play a year earlier... who cares it is not ready or perfekt. I loved that aapg was so buggy at the beginning. It made me feel I grow with the game and I am a part of the development. Early acces builds, bugs, glitches are always fun.
    AA will never bring us a 3 AAA ready game like new CoD MW or anyy esport competetive game. Just give us a gun game with great maps and game mechanics.

Hc|Captain(HUN) -
  • AvgusteAvguste Posts: 120Player
    edited October 5
    I am not saying to remake AA2, however I would love for the AA to be more realistic, slow paced. Something ala AA2, or something like SQUAD

And for those that think slow pace, realistic type shooter is not going to work, just look at the current stats for SQUAD and Proving Grounds https://steamcharts.com/cmp/393380,203290

I don't know why people want AA2 back. Why should AA5 be built off of a game released in 2002? That's not what FPS are anymore. The larger gaming community, barring the few hundred that still play AAPG because they want it to be AA2, prefers a smaller team vs team, balanced and at LEAST mildly competitive experience in gaming.

That at least adds to the longevity of the game. Nobody plays for levels, skins, or achievements for very long. It's all community and competition, so work on those and do what works instead of recreating something in the past..

An example of games that add those:
    Rocket League - Skill based MM
    Counter Strike Global Offensive - Skill based MM
    Rainbow 6 - Skill based MM
    Overwatch - Skill based MM
    Dota 2 - Skill based mm
    LoL - Skill based mm
    PUBG - Competition and community
    WoW - Competition and Community
    GTA V - Community
    Destinty 2 - Community
    Rust - Community

Games that had beta to increase exposure:
    Rocket League
    CSGO
    World of Warcraft
    PUBG
    Overwatch

My point is, R&D creates an environment for projects to succeed, not listening to speculation from loud forum users. There is nothing we can do as a community to help create that environment, we learned that trying very very hard to be heard during the course of AAPG's lifetime.

Agreed. Skill based match making would be fantastic. After X amount of seconds of not finding someone in your "tier," it starts looking at +1 tier, and so on and so on. I'd also really love to see built-in ranking system (like LoL, CSGO, Rocket League).
    edited October 7
    Avguste wrote: »
    I am not saying to remake AA2, however I would love for the AA to be more realistic, slow paced. Something ala AA2, or something like SQUAD

And for those that think slow pace, realistic type shooter is not going to work, just look at the current stats for SQUAD and Proving Grounds https://steamcharts.com/cmp/393380,203290

SQUAD's numbers would be a failure for a new AA game, IMO. I'm sorry, but there's no point in the Army putting out a video game unless it can make waves in the gaming community. At least something like Arma's numbers would be respectable. You can even see how SQUAD usually has huge jumps in player counts, probably due to a sale or something and then it drops right back down. What's driving that lack of player retention?

Either way, slow paced realism games are extremely niche games in today's market. You'd pretty much be fighting within the Arma, Squad, Insurgency player base. That's small compared to the larger market. People want games that feel responsive and snappy, where you feel like you're in full control of your character and where skill and tactics determine the winner. The market has changed a lot since 2002, you either adapt or don't bother trying.

AA5 can certainly take a lot of aspects from AA2, but I would be worried about slowing it down too much. It doesn't have to be extremely fast, but I'd think that something that feels more like PUBG (which is actually quite slow in comparison to many of the other popular games in the market) in terms of movement and pace would work. AAPG feels like you're walking through quicksand. Anyone who jumps into a game really needs to take time to adjust to how slow it feels. Many players wouldn't stick around to get there.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 321Player
    edited October 7
    Avguste wrote: »

SQUAD's numbers would be a failure for a new AA game, IMO. I'm sorry, but there's no point in the Army putting out a video game unless it can make waves in the gaming community. At least something like Arma's numbers would be respectable. You can even see how SQUAD usually has huge jumps in player counts, probably due to a sale or something and then it drops right back down. What's driving that lack of player retention?

Either way, slow paced realism games are extremely niche games in today's market. You'd pretty much be fighting within the Arma, Squad, Insurgency player base. That's small compared to the larger market. People want games that feel responsive and snappy, where you feel like you're in full control of your character and where skill and tactics determine the winner. The market has changed a lot since 2002, you either adapt or don't bother trying.

AA5 can certainly take a lot of aspects from AA2, but I would be worried about slowing it down too much. It doesn't have to be extremely fast, but I'd think that something that feels more like PUBG (which is actually quite slow in comparison to many of the other popular games in the market) in terms of movement and pace would work. AAPG feels like you're walking through quicksand. Anyone who jumps into a game really needs to take time to adjust to how slow it feels. Many players wouldn't stick around to get there.

Another thing that gives COD and AAA titles a lot of popularity is advertising. AA is a pretty good game, but I don't think many have ever heard of it. I remember about a year ago I told an Army Recruiter about this game, and he said he had never heard of it.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg