auto-vocalized grenade proximity indicator is outrageously broken

KenningerKenninger Posts: 7Player
edited April 14 in General Discussion
there needs to be fix for fragmentation grenades triggering the call out despite it being tossed beneath the ceiling/ floor/wall

grenades instantly reveal a players location no matter what is between you and the nade whatsoever. for example, on inner hospital if you go up to before blue stairs, a frag thrown through main choke will cause the avatar to shout "GRENADE!!!' or whatever, immediately indicating your position to anyone up and over within ear shot for basically no reason.

i always go for the high ground and this problem has caused me more deaths than i could count. there is no way this is intended but hardly anyone seems to notice, but imo this is the most annoying thing in the game and needs to be patched.

this problem exists on all but 1 or 2 maps and is totally game-breaking.

i implore you to investigate how this can be solved. there is no way this should exist. this forces you to think to go out of position nearly every time for nothing because its impossible to tell the difference unless you physically see the nade itself

a possible fix by making incoming nade alert a hotkey, so you can choose not to yell at all unless you want to

thanks for reading.

Comments

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 618Player
    Switch to tactical mode = no more call outs.
    AAPG is good!
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 641Player
    Flatlander wrote: »

That's not what his post is referencing
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 618Player
    doogle! wrote: »

Early morning post... Guess you're right, he m eant the call from the incoming pov.
    AAPG is good!
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 320Beta Tester

Early morning post... Guess you're right, he m eant the call from the incoming pov.

Say WHA...??? Why should the nade thrower be given rights over what the nade recipient can or can not say? Plus, how does the reipient's side yelling out give away the throwers position? It could have come from right or left side of main choke or out of dark room or almost anywhere.
    If the OP is getting killed after throwing a nade it's because the location the OP is throwing from is a KNOWN spot! With so many servers running "Inner" 24/7/365 there is no place that is not known to long time players. That's why I do so poorly playing "Inner".
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 494Beta Tester
    Duke_Audi wrote: »

Say WHA...??? Why should the nade thrower be given rights over what the nade recipient can or can not say? Plus, how does the reipient's side yelling out give away the throwers position? It could have come from right or left side of main choke or out of dark room or almost anywhere.
    If the OP is getting killed after throwing a nade it's because the location the OP is throwing from is a KNOWN spot! With so many servers running "Inner" 24/7/365 there is no place that is not known to long time players. That's why I do so poorly playing "Inner".

I think the OP is about something else. The issue is, that if you throw a nade, the enemies near the nade will auto-callout "GRENADE, MOVE!" even if your nade is not a threat for them, as you threw the nade on one floor and the enemy is on the other. So you you can use the M67 as proximity sensor. You throw it somewhere and any (???) enemy near it will start screaming.

I kind of agree with the OP, this should not be like this. However, I also have a feeling this is not 100% consistent. I mean the entire callout-thing is weird, I don't know what conditions trigger the callout. I have a feeling that there is more to it than simple proximity.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.

I think the OP is about something else. The issue is, that if you throw a nade, the enemies near the nade will auto-callout "GRENADE, MOVE!" even if your nade is not a threat for them, as you threw the nade on one floor and the enemy is on the other. So you you can use the M67 as proximity sensor. You throw it somewhere and any (???) enemy near it will start screaming.

I kind of agree with the OP, this should not be like this. However, I also have a feeling this is not 100% consistent. I mean the entire callout-thing is weird, I don't know what conditions trigger the callout. I have a feeling that there is more to it than simple proximity.

Levente, on the receiving end a "proximity sensor" for where it will land. NOT where it was thrown from! Unless the OP was talking about his call out because he was not in tactical mode.
    Also, who yells it out? What if your player is alone in a room, who is yelling; "GRENADE, MOVE!" then, eh???
    Yes, we need to know more about which conditions "trigger" what.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 633Player

Levente, on the receiving end a "proximity sensor" for where it will land. NOT where it was thrown from! Unless the OP was talking about his call out because he was not in tactical mode.
    Also, who yells it out? What if your player is alone in a room, who is yelling; "GRENADE, MOVE!" then, eh???
    Yes, we need to know more about which conditions "trigger" what.

The OP is saying that enemy grenades thrown directly below him on the ground floor force his player on the floor above to shout and give away his position.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,546Beta Tester
    edited April 17
    While the OP is not clearly written, a bit of logic suggests that he's talking about grenades thrown NEAR him, not BY him...
    ...grenades triggering the call out despite it being tossed beneath the ceiling/ floor/wall...

...since the THROW callout when not in Tactical Mode has nothing to do with ceilings, floors or walls. The auto ProximityCallout however goes by the radius of how close the grenade is to the player it lands near with no regard to ceilings, floors or walls.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    While the OP is not clearly written, a bit of logic suggests that he's talking about grenades thrown NEAR him, not BY him...
    ...grenades triggering the call out despite it being tossed beneath the ceiling/ floor/wall...

...since the THROW callout when not in Tactical Mode has nothing to do with ceilings, floors or walls. The auto ProximityCallout however goes by the radius of how close the grenade is to the player it lands near with no regard to ceilings, floors or walls.

OK, however... We know that there is NO definition to "Z" axis sound. Players can not distinguish if a nade is above or beside them. Anyone wo has played Reaction and has stood in Main Hall when there has been a major battle going on above them in Boiler knows this. So I stand by my previous comment; If Kenninger is getting killed it's because the location he is in is a KNOWN spot for spam nades. Not because his position was given away by a call out!
    Keebler, care to test this out? Invite me to join you on your sever.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 641Player
    edited April 18
    ...no. You cannot assume this guy is referencing "known spots" based on your personal style of game play or experiences.

It's not just death by "spam nades." It's revealing your position (or the enemy revealing theirs) because your/their pawn yelled about a grenade. Just because there is no Z axis doesn't mean anyone with a brain can make a reasonable assumption on your location.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,546Beta Tester
    There are many times I control what I'm doing to avoid giving my position away even if I'm bleeding out. I weigh the tactics and my chances. It's one thing for the enemy to be watching 'just in case' and another thing all together for him to hear you reload or bandage when he wasn't sure if you were there - now he knows exactly where you are!!

It's the same issue with grenade proximity callouts EXCEPT - you can't control them. The issue is made even worse when a grenade lands one floor above you, or in another room within a radius, but some magic character yells "Grenade!!!" in response to the OpFor throw. (Who actually makes the grenade yell, anyway???)

So now, the OpFor that is near you ON YOUR LEVEL knows you're there, not even from a grenade HE threw.

OP is right. It sucks, but this game is almost done its life cycle. Those types of changes were made prior to Oct 2015 release.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 973Player
    edited April 18
    Wouldn't a higher level of audio occlusion and audio obstruction result in a lower or blocked audio call out.
    My map edit of checkout. Comp checkout has higher values for audio occlusion and obstruction giving a more realistic muffled sound as to where players are and where nades/flashes go off .
    Once played a few times players often say that it is easier to say where things are happening around them.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,089Player
    edited April 18
    Auto call outs should not be heard by the opposing team, period. The player has no way to prevent them unless you expect players to always use tactical just in case a grenade flies at them or they happen to approach a teammate from behind. Yelling Frag Out is different because the player is the one throwing the frag and can therefore press tactical for a brief moment prior to throwing. Simple.

If it were up to me they would all be removed from the game anyway. The grenade one can be seen as a feature that allows a player who may have not seen a grenade enter their proximity now have a clue that they may be in danger when they otherwise would not have that information. The game is cheating on their behalf. The other ones such as telling teammates to move up or that I got their back I'm assuming are supposed to be "immersion" features, but they don't add anything but annoyance to gameplay. Even when it comes to calling for a medic, the player should be the one who has to initiate that call, it shouldn't be automatic.

On another note, as Keebler said, it's a waste of time anyway. AAPG is done. I'd be shocked if any major fixes or features come to this game at this point. The game will be in steady state with a few small updates here and there until AAV is ready to go.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!