Map statred: Sheik's Estate... Pre-Vis (in Unreal 4] Compatible with AA:PG

Reason3DReason3D Posts: 25Player
edited April 9 in Mission Editor
Hello America's Army Troops, Mappers, and Fans!

Game Development Group starting, currently looking tor these positions to be filled:
- modeller position:-3d Polygonal Modelling of low-mid tri-count meshes, with UVW Unwrapping Experience and Functionality.
OD Creation (Level Of Detail) and HLOD (hierarchial LOD) is a major Plus+.
-Creating duplicates of object models for use with Unreal Engine 4's AEPX destruction, when an Apex model reacts dynamically to an event in the run-time level, a "Core" of the object remains, unaffected.
-UVW Unwrapping of WorldView object models is needed, this is a high-quality task, so this is mandatory.

-Texture/Skin artists position: ability to use reference media, and develop HD images is needed. Textures and skins should be created with greyscale heightmaps/ normal maps/ and specular gloss in the workflow. References made in the Diffuse texture/ skin may not be compatible with HeightMaps/ NormalMaps/ Specular Gloss most of the time, and layers where you can create basic detailing, and keep a separated layer for adjusting the height, normals, spec gloss, in conjunction is mandatory.

-Kismet/event trigger manager: ability to create a network of animated meshes with PatrolPatterns, in loopable format. some triggers are on Player Encroach (collision), and need ot be activated if a player, for example, touches a patrolling laser: alarms will off, sections of the mansion will close with sliding doors, and German Shepards i have rigged and animated will chase you (not 100% sure about the dogs, we can see about it)

Any and All assets you create for the project reamin Your Intellectual Property and of course you can use them wherever you want, our group has no claim on your work ;) .

The Current Project is as follows:

Project Level for Insurgency: Sandstorm, using a very interesting approach to their game's core-gameplay... Level is named INS-SheiksEstate; The Mansion is located in a remote mountainous region of Afghanistan, and has HighTech, High-Level Security measures, a beautiful Estate Landscape, and is a CheckPoint based level where the Defenders are located inside the protected boundary area, and the attacking team must infiltrate, undetected; There are only 2 ways to infiltrate: 1: Find and demolish (C4 is available to Demolition Class in INS) the Generators that run the Security-Network, allowing penetration of the Mansion's boundaries, 2: Navigate past the Main Gate's Security Checkpoint with Real-Time camera detection relayed to Monitors placed throughout the level, including the Security Office, the Mansions Security Offic (internal Sec Checkpint) and the Panic Room. While defenders are inside the protected boundaries of the estate, they have access to the display monitors there, where the cameras at the Entry are located and cameras relay to those monitors;
Interactive Foliage outside the boundaries, with watchtower and patrolling searchlight... as you navigate through the Foliage, it is displaced by player collision, thus leaving a trail of movement as the foliage spreads apart from the characters, and the searchlight must be observed and avoided; The searchlight may later be linked to an InfraRed-BluePrint to detect SIGINT, and set off Alarms
Lasers that when breached lock certain areas of the Mansion, and are moveable actors, meaning, they have pattern rotation that must be observed and then navigated to avoid detection.

To begin with a Major Task description, here are reference images of what to expect to build in preparation for the Game Level:
6DreeHE.jpg
mrGbJZX.jpg
NLROs71.jpg
Qrkyrtv.jpg

rIZMc3G.png
x0N4F3m.png
HC5jugP.png
QaHM6Hr.png

And a Pre-Vis YouTube Video in Unreal Engine 4:
https://youtu.be/Vptdt7t9MQ0

There is minimal risk to join and contribute (you will be creating assets for Yourself), and also getting publishing exposure to Steam Workshop, with this proposal. There is a good likelihood that the AA:PG Team would want good developers.

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,594Beta Tester
    Mmmmmm! Yummy!!! :)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Reason3DReason3D Posts: 25Player
    edited April 10
    [Video]
    That really does look cool, but I'm confused as to what you're trying to do. Are you trying to make an AAPG level porting it BACKWARDS from UE4, or are you trying to recruit mappers from AAPG to move over to UE4 projects?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    edited April 10
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    That really does look cool, but I'm confused as to what you're trying to do. Are you trying to make an AA:PG level porting it BACKWARDS from UE4, or are you trying to recruit mappers from AA:PG to move over to UE4 projects?

Any 3d modeller can make maps from Static Meshes in either AA:PG or UE4, and texture artists, the same, and Kismet and BluePrints aren't all that different.

If nobody joins, then it's more work for me... Alone... All my friends are veterans of the Army and Marines, and play Xbox lol!

i have 17 years invested in 3ds max, photoshop, and unreal engine (2.x-UDK-UE4). I also have FL Studio experience (16 years) and the same for Adobe Audition (16 years)...(formerly Cool Edit)... I do tons of s***... i'm a logistical Operator fora govt. agency. am highly psychologically inclined and wish to develop the Gaming-Scene with High-quality, HD graphics and visuals. AA:PG is a good place to start, the editor is already availabzle, and importing your eshes with .fxb 2013, is fine. .tga is big, i'll grant you, but i think i remember .png being compatible too ;)

If anyone with Blender (free, open-sources) or maya or 3ds max, Photoshop or GIMP, wants to to contribute, they gain Steam Workshop Credit, and the group doesn't *claim your assets*, they're YOURS. Implement them into another engine, it's all good. If you want AA:PG maps, then let's do them, i can do alot of things.
    /

+-101st=-Muzza is giving me the "Peanut Butter and Jealous Vibe," he Opimisies all his maps, meanwhile my maps, without the UE4 flair, aren't very taxing, and i can multi-res in 3ds max to optimize, and with culling and Occlusion in UEd, it's fine... Bah... ya'll are cray-cray lol ;)

BTW, Muzza: it's "Optimize" not Optimise", unless you're a Brit, oh wait...
    You didn't seem to answer what you're trying to do. I see words like 'join' and 'contribute' but ....what is your goal?
    ______

edited April 11
    I did answer what i'm trying to do, at least in techniceal terms..

"Any 3d modeller can make maps from Static Meshes in either AA:PG or UE4, and texture artists, the same, and Kismet and BluePrints aren't all that different."

the map is being created in ModularFormat (ie. everything except terrain and lights, is in 3ds max/photoshop)

so, considering the assets can be imported to any engine, i figured, since the AA:PG editor is released, why not make it a AA:PG map as well?

My Main Goal is Insurgency Sandstorm mapping in UE4, but there are no limitations on importing optimized meshes and Some Textures to AA:PG Ed... i can use Default Materails from AA:PG, to reduce size.

To be more clear, ahen... i am wondering if any 3d modellers, texutre artists are interested in a AA:PG map creation pipeline... if you want to move to UE4 that is ok too.
    So you're mapping for Insurgency? I didn't even know they had opened an SDK for the community! Having looked at the Squad SDK, it didn't seem like those packages were working terribly smoothly. I had huge resource hog issues with the editor filling my entire 32GB of RAM up with what looked suspiciously like a mem leak.
    ______

So you're mapping for Insurgency? I didn't even know they had opened an SDK for the community! Having looked at the Squad SDK, it didn't seem like those packages were working terribly smoothly. I had huge resource hog issues with the editor filling my entire 32GB of RAM up with what looked suspiciously like a mem leak.
    Insurgency SDK/Editor isn't released *Yet*... i did get all the geometry dimensions from the Community Manager, after he asked the dev's for them.

Release date: TBA

i admit i will be acouple weeks to dvelop the assets, and Unreal Engine 4 is running smoothly here... should be no problems importing into AA:PG Ed, and to keep Mapsize down i will use AA:PG's materials. (with no external package references, all map Files in the .umap).

I'm knee deep in IDEs and compilers and launchers and engine versions and stuff lately, trying to get a proper setup going. Where do you hang out if people want to stop in and say hello?

I know there is some talent and interest around here, though these forums aren't high traffic. I know at least one member that's working on his own game in UE4, for instance. I'm sure people will come out of the woodwork.
    ______

I'm knee deep in IDEs and compilers and launchers and engine versions and stuff lately, trying to get a proper setup going. Where do you hang out if people want to stop in and say hello?

I know there is some talent and interest around here, though these forums aren't high traffic. I know at least one member that's working on his own game in UE4, for instance. I'm sure people will come out of the woodwork.

Aha!... So sorry, i have a Discord Channel, that i neglected to link to, i have alot going on, including trying not to burn-out from directing the project... i've tested 6 potential developers, only 1 made good progress, and 1 is WIP. Dedication should be mentioned when you join, ie. "i have a day job and can make a model in 2 weeks," I will always appreciate honesty ;)

https://discord.gg/gzqgNfv

edited April 13
    Latest Progress (far from finished, working alone...Grrr):

Revised SearchLightBeam:
    https://imgur.com/jkuQPHu
    edited April 13
    scrapped the idea of an uber-hot-looking searchlight and constrcuted a realistic one:
    jkuQPHu.png

Also, redesigned the Mansion's Extreior, only about ~80 more triangles on it, much more visually appealing, and makes vaulting to the 2nf floor possible now:
    2XMG4tG.png

1920x1080:
    https://imgur.com/2XMG4tG
    edited April 14
    For the Record, i have the vast Majority of interior rooms outlined, and they are almost ready to be attached together, to create one, single "Boolean Operation->Subtraction," which will give the Exterior shell, an Interior room-layout...

Also, what's nice in newer versions of 3ds Max, is the inclusion of pre-made window and door primitives... they not only create a 3d model for you to use and/or modify, but they slice the wall in order to implement itself into the interior (or basic wall, modular-format model,) so once the room-layout is subtracted, adding windows and doors will be very easy ;)

Just recently, a wonderful Digital artist: "Divine Heroine" from Focus Forums (Official Forums of Insurgency) joined the Discord... She is working on textures for details like Middle-Eastern Railing, rod-iron patterns, and stuff i probly shouldn't mention, yet ;)

I may need help with AA:PG-Specific door and window functions, player starts and zoning and obj's, as there aren't many tutorials for that, but if i can't figure it out, maybe -=101st=-Muzza or a Forum member could add basic functions to the map.

Static Meshes and Textures will be imported and Terrain and Lighting finished not-so-far from now... door and window functions, player starts and zoning and obj's might be a problem though... Thanks for the support and patience!
    Very interesting....! :)
    ______

Very interesting....! :)
    hC78610B3[img]
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 750Player
    Looks time consuming and very detailed. Good luck with your projects

Over 1.3k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,184Player
    Your making a map in UE4 and wanting it to play on UE3 in AAPG? unless I am missing something how do you even do that? I mean, how do you take all of AAPG's custom UE3 mechanics/assets etc.. and add/convert/whatever all these things over to UE3 from (what I can only assume is) a default version UE4? you'd be better off making the map in AAPG's custom UE3 editor, if only for compatibility purposes.. even if it means you have to re-learn stuff.. how much different can it be? otherwise I fear your wasting both your and potentially others time on something that will/could never work for this game title.

Unless of course AA5 will be UE4 based? but even then who is to say AA wont use a custom version of UE4 as they have with UE3?

As passionate as I'm sure you are about this and as good as it looks from a 3PP.. I'm sorry dude, I just can't help but feel your walking a dangerous path with this whole project.. but good luck!

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,012Player
    Custom assets can be ported to ue3. Lighting no and most other stuff no but you can create a whole play space of buildings and other things and put them in as fbx component files .
    I am at mo making stuff in maya and importing to aapg ue3 .
    Also creating for ue4 from maya.
    I'd comment on some custom issues with our map making system, but I got kicked off his Discord, so....

:shrug:
    ______

• ModtoolsModtools Posts: 280Player
    edited April 22
    good work so far :-)
    @Keebler750 and @Muzza how are you long time no see :awesome:

especially i am also interested in UE4.
    :-) Love the IDEA of creating an AA in UE4.