Map Creation in UE4

+Sebb12++Sebb12+ Posts: 8Player
edited April 8 in Mission Editor - Support
Hi! I was just wandering if there is a way to create maps for AA:PG with unreal engine 4?

If so, how?

If not, would it be possible for you to add it in the near future? I really want to create a map but I dont know how to use the mission editor and I am alot better with unreal engine 4.

Thank you for your answer

- Sebb

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    Don't think it's possible, AAPG uses a modified version of Unreal 3 engine. If it moved to UE4 (which I've seen over the years it will not) I'm sure to have all what they have currently ingame, they'd also need to develop a modified version of UE4 too.

I cant see it being at all feasible.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• +Sebb12++Sebb12+ Posts: 8Player
    Oh ok. So there would be no way to import a map made in UE4 to the game ?
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    Since I've only ever had (little) experience with AAPG's version of UE3 I really can't say if it's possible.

People do so say that "anything is possible if you put your mind to it" though :mrgreen:

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

I'll look into it. There has got to be a way to do it. I wanna make a great map, but I cant do that with UE3 and my experience with it
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 642Player
    you would probably get a better answer in epic forums , i know ue3 assets can be used in ue4
    this may help to see the basic differences between 3/4
    https://wiki.unrealengine.com/UE3_to_UE4_Transition_Guide
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    You can take stuff from one to the other ie assets. But an entire map built in ue4 would not import into ue 3.
    I have both and build in both.
    They both save in entirely different formats.
    You wont get everything from ue4 tofunction in ue3.
    If you want a map for ue3 build it in 3dmax or in ue3.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    I'd think it would be a lot harder to go from UE4 and downgrade to UE3 than the other way around. Either way, it would take more work than is really worth it to go through such a hassle.

If anything you could always build a map in UE4 and hope that the developers decide to release a map editor with AA5. Granted, I doubt it would be a day 1 or even year 1 thing, but maybe they'll do it eventually.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,016Moderator
    forward compatibility is really hard, for obvious reasons.
    ss_4_frankof.png
    Allright. Ill just have to learn it then. Or 3dmax. Thanks for your answers guys
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    If you can do level design in UE4 then you have the basic skills to map in the AAPG editor. Just use the right tools for the job!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    +Sebb12+ wrote: »
    Allright. Ill just have to learn it then. Or 3dmax. Thanks for your answers guys

Just be aware that there doesn't seem to be any intention of any future Dev mapping contests and the 101st servers are really the only place that plays custom maps. So make sure you're ok with putting in the time knowing that.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • 13Cav.Kendmac13Cav.Kendmac Posts: 74Player
    13Cav Server also plays mostly custom maps
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player

Just be aware that there doesn't seem to be any intention of any future Dev mapping contests and the 101st servers are really the only place that plays custom maps. So make sure you're ok with putting in the time knowing that.

This comment is inaccurate there are quite a few good UMM servers out there !!
    +Sebb12+ wrote: »

I know some servers that uses custom maps, if no one wants it I could set up my own server, but lets hope that doesnt happen