AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,102Player
    edited April 5
    I'm also going to add that the next game should get rid of the fake army that you play against. I remember in the earlier versions of AA you faced all sorts of different terrorist groups and the like depending on the map. It would be another way you can integrate custom skins. Allow players to customize their OpFor model. Since you're always playing as US Army it doesn't matter too much from your point of view, but you can still customize how enemies see you. I know it's gimmicky, but hey, as long as it's not overly dumb stuff then it's another thing that the young crowd likes that wouldn't really detract from the game.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • [soldier][soldier] Posts: 126Player
    edited April 5
    NO MORE HOSPITAL REBOOTS. GET RID OF IT ENTIRELY. No reboots of any previous AA maps.

I'll just point out here that the game was released without Hospital. The cry from the player community for Hospital was deafening (I don't remember if they formally poll tested a list of maps or not). The Devs and Betas worked their asses off to get that map shipshape and out the door once the decision was made, With Hospital the most popular map by far right now, it was the right decision.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 429Player
    edited April 5
    What's sad, that I'm chewing on, is that I don't see any game they might release ever being popular enough to not fade out within a year. The gaming market is just flooded with FPS after FPS.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited April 5
    What's sad, that I'm chewing on, is that I don't see any game they might release ever being popular enough to not fade out within a year. The gaming market is just flooded with FPS after FPS.

Depend how you view the market. There's the BR fad that's still kicking and that's where most of the market is sitting right now. Then you have the two big franchises, CoD & BF, both of their new versions have kind of flopped on PC (BO4 was a big thing for like a month, BF5 was kind of DoA), granted I'm sure that in a year or two we'll get a new version of those coming out. Then you have the respawn style games which I don't know really compete with a game like this, but that's really Overwatch and to an extent TF2. Next you have the round based competitive shooters which is where AA would normally sit and that's CS & R6S. Beyond that you have Arma (a niche game) which while people would throw AA in there for some reason, you couldn't have two games that are more different. Then there's Insurgency 2 which is a flop (the original game is doing better than the new one). I'm sure there are a few other smaller tier games as well that are all pretty much niche games that the vast majority of people don't know or care about.

Now would you consider that to be crowded? Maybe. By the time AA5 is ready will the BR fad die out? I know people are getting tired of it, but when you look at Fortnite, Apex, PUBG, BO4, BF5 as a total it's a huge market still.

Then when it comes to competitive round based games, CS is extremely hard to dethrone and R6 also has a big following. Could an America's Army game take a big chunk of their player bases? I don't think it's impossible to do. Both games are aging to an extent and have had people playing them for years. CS GO has been around for 7 years (CS itself for 20), R6 Siege for 3.5 years (not nearly as long). If something comes out that can offer something fresh while maintaining that competitive aspect it could easily leech a good amount of players from those games and depending on how BR is... Of course, there will also be new releases in the meantime that could blow up, but we'll see how it goes.

To be frank, today's market is really about that release. If you can get a following on release you stand a chance. If you're DoA, then forget it. Long gone are the days where you can release a small game and word spreads and suddenly you become big. When AA5 releases a ton of people will try it out if they advertise it well enough. People will create an opinion within those first few days. If its good, you have a chance. If it's bad, then it will be extremely difficult to come back. Not impossible, but extremely difficult.
  • nu.-maRknu.-maRk Posts: 4Player
    I truly wonder where AA2 would be today if they left it alive or updated the games graphics with the newer unreal engines. AA2 actually never "died". the Devs forced its death by shutting down the auth servers to force players over to the disaster of AA3. The large chunk of the community stopped playing the game at that point.

If they transitioned AA2 into AA3 into AA4(PG) like they did from AA1-AA2 I think the game would still have its massive community it once had. Curious to see what happens with AA5.
    edited April 5
    nu.-maRk wrote: »
    I truly wonder where AA2 would be today if they left it alive or updated the games graphics with the newer unreal engines. AA2 actually never "died". the Devs forced its death by shutting down the auth servers to force players over to the disaster of AA3. The large chunk of the community stopped playing the game at that point.

If they transitioned AA2 into AA3 into AA4(PG) like they did from AA1-AA2 I think the game would still have its massive community it once had. Curious to see what happens with AA5.

It's possible. Meaning AA doing what Counter-Strike has been doing for 20 years. I know there was a fairly large group of players who stopped playing AA around the 2.6 to 2.7 time frame, so the game was starting to decline by the end. That said, huge portions of the player base came back to try AA3 hoping it would be AA2 on a new engine and it was anything but that. Bad & buggy release, drastically different gameplay, lack of content releases meant that the franchise was in really bad shape. AAPG came out and people said, maybe after AA3 failed they'll finally give us an updated version of AA2 on a new engine! Nope. And here we are today.

Our problem is that AA3 came out in 2009. That means that the last real version of AA2 that had a decent sized player base was a decade ago. Anyone who was 15-18 years old in that time frame is now in their mid-late 20s. The funny thing about CS is that the gameplay in a way feels like a 20 year old game, but the game has become such a integral part of PC FPS gaming, has such a strong pro scene, and a developer who was able to keep each subsequent version mostly the same (although ask CS 1.6 vs. CSS vs. CSGO players and they'll tell you otherwise) that the game has lived on and is still the game to beat outside of the BR fad. AA doesn't have that luxury. AA2 gameplay isn't fresh on anyone's mind. For all of us except the very few who still sit around playing AAOAssist it's just nostalgia.

I don't know that AA2 on a new engine will bring in anyone but the old player base. Which, sorry to say, is not the group of people that the Army is trying to get to be their core. The Army doesn't really need to convince 30+ year olds of the merits of the Army. I guess it's helpful for parents whose kids may be considering joining, but first they need to get those kids themselves to learn about the Army to consider joining. That's the real core group of players that they're looking for.
    With a flooded FPS market I also don't think any new version of AA is going to be the kind of recruiting tool AA2 was. With such a small player base AA3 and AAPG have/had, there can't be much recruiting coming out of those. So maybe a game catered to 20 yr olds isn't the direct path to a successful game.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    With a flooded FPS market I also don't think any new version of AA is going to be the kind of recruiting tool AA2 was. With such a small player base AA3 and AAPG have/had, there can't be much recruiting coming out of those. So maybe a game catered to 20 yr olds isn't the direct path to a successful game.

So what's the point then? Either you make a game that attempts to break into the market and get a big following or it's just a big waste of time. Go for glory or don't bother.
    AA studio won't create a game that will compete in the short round market. That's my opinion. Something with long rounds is what made the game popular. AA3 or AA2 like is my vote.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 186Player
    AA does not know what it wants to be, Training Sim, FPS, MilSim, Recruitment Tool, Employment Validator, who knows... Instead it's just a weird broken mix of it all.
    A back to basics approach of game development fundamentals of why xyz and zyx games are popular among the younger market is needed. Replicate what works without making a clone and you will have a chance of developing a good game and a recruitment tool...
    What games does a 12, 16 or 21yro boy want to play?
    35d2uec.png
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 111Beta Tester
    edited April 7
    AA does not know what it wants to be, Training Sim, FPS, MilSim, Recruitment Tool, Employment Validator, who knows... Instead it's just a weird broken mix of it all.
    A back to basics approach of game development fundamentals of why xyz and zyx games are popular among the younger market is needed. Replicate what works without making a clone and you will have a chance of developing a good game and a recruitment tool...
    What games does a 12, 16 or 21yro boy want to play?

A lot of valid points here. One of the interesting differences in AA2 was the training. You could tell that the Army put a lot of thought into the concept and it played out well in that most (not all) new players had a solid understanding and background on what to expect in-game.

The current incarnation deviated from that concept. Recently, a flood of E-1 reinforce my view that when they arrive, they 1) don't what they are doing, 2) don't know the objective types, 3) have no idea what the controls are (most often asked is how to drop a weapon and how to change fire mode), 4) don't know friend from foe...

Training should be mandatory prior to entering the arena...

Anyone remember the guy who saved two lives back in 2008?
    https://www.army.mil/article/7065/army_games_medic_training_helps_save_two_lives

--

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
    edited April 8
    While I'd agree, a lot has changed in the past decade. I would love to see training, but I think they need to be more creative in how they integrate it. At the very least allow people to jump in and try the game without it. Maybe you can't create your own soldier without doing the training, but you get some premade newbie soldier to try the game with. Otherwise you can bait people with skins for completing training. Especially since apparently the Army can't monetize the game with a skins market.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    AA2 remastered would be entertaining for about 2 months at most, then it would die, again.

100% correct

From my point of view, one of the biggest things that AAPG did that ruined it was that it stripped away everything that made America's Army different. Training, squad roles, a medical system that actually mattered and wasn't gimmicky.

I dont agree with this assessment because I feel what you just said appeals to the 35+ year olds. What young individual wants to do training before they play. They want instant action much like I would and I dont consider myself young anymore.
    Squad roles I could care less about and I feel would make little difference because I dont plan on following some random's ideas because of his squad position.
    When it comes to medics, I hope they dont ever exist. I dont want to wait for somebody, or rely on someone to patch me up. You could have nothing but potato heads running around as medics and your entire team would be screwed. I dont even want to imagine getting shot in the upper torso and bleeding to 10% health for a realism factor.

Constant action with very little down time will appease the masses.

Oh so sorry mr 10%, I unbound my medic key.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• FrostRCFrostRC Posts: 1Player
    edited April 23
    Just based on how OPFOR weaponry is depicted in AAPG, maybe at least some proper attempt at replicating real life counterparts of weaponry belonging to enemy factions? It consistently annoys me that an AKM is supposed to pass off as an AK-107, and an AK-104 is supposed to pass off as an AK-105... (e: or go back to the AA3 system with made up OPFOR weapons?)

And just a thought, but perhaps a supply point system like in Insurgency: Sandstorm could be adopted for heavy class customization?
    AA5 must be heavily in development with it being so quite around here... Can't wait to see it this summer. =)
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • {!T!}LordDamian{!T!}LordDamian Posts: 713Player
    edited April 24
    AA5 must be heavily in development with it being so quite around here... Can't wait to see it this summer. =)

You mean the summer of 2020/2021, there is no way we have it this summer.
    And even if its 2020, its going to be hard with BFBC3 said to be released that year.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 186Player

Its hard work making a Fortnite clone you know.... :p :p :p
    35d2uec.png
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 288Player

The FPS market has always been considered flooded. Counter Strike has been here for near 20 years now. Its always going to be a "you didnt know you wanted it, until you needed it" to be the new thing.
    edited April 24
    The current FPS market is pretty poor in my opinion. Lots of games coming out and none of them capturing the market for too long.

With BRs new entries like Blackout, Apex, and Firestorm came in with lots of fanfare as the new best thing and then hype died off within a couple months when the devs screwed up the subsequent updates. Apex isn't that old and I'm already hearing about how it's gotten boring, lack of new content, and bad gameplay changes. Fortnite is still king and PUBG has a greatly diminished player base but still putting up solid numbers (mainly in Asia and maybe Europe, the game is barely hanging on in North America).

With round based games it's all CS & R6. Both games can easily be leeched off of by a well done America's Army game. CS is 20 years old this year (CSGO will be 7), R6 will be 5 years old next year. Nothing else is even in the conversation to compete with them right now. You have people who have been playing the same game for 5+ years and they'll gladly try something else that has a chance of being better.

Respawn games are in the dumpster in the PC scene with the exception of Overwatch and TF2 still hanging on. CoD, BFV, Insurgency, etc. none of them have caught on with the PC community. I don't consider any Battlefield game to be a sure thing anymore. Plus, as long as you avoid releasing the same month or couple months within a COD or BF release you should be fine.

Anything else isn't worth talking about. Of course if AA5 cames out in a year or more from now the environment could be much different with new releases, but we'll see.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 500Player
    AA5 beta is coming out this year, right? No other FPS games do it for me.