Dead game

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,606Beta Tester
    Whippy, it was Flatlander above who commented on the Beta group, so I added it in. Sorry, I wasn't clear... :p
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 693Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous Doogle. Do you honestly think I like all the decisions that have been made? I notice you never comment when I bother to lay out my own critique of the game, but just love to get your digs in.

Bravo, I say. Bravo!!! :worldsTiniestClap:

FACTS are not a crutch just because you don't like them.

I wasn't even referencing you in particular. That thought to Levente was completely separate from your condescending and unprovoked post to Whiplash. You noticed I stopped even trying to respond to what you say months ago. I can't doubt your contributions as beta, but the way you come off on a ton of your posts is highly disrespectful.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 693Player
    Gorilla, a lot of what you said is true. In my opinion, one of the biggest issues with AAPG is the speed in which updates are released. I've said it before...there was a podcast in which a Dev bragged about having the leniency to release an update, and then go back and later fix it because it wasn't a pay game. Why on earth would a Dev even say that? As a customer....yes me, NOT the Army...it disgusts me to hear that from a team that pumps out meaningful updates as fast as I grow forehead hair. Is it their fault as developers? Probably not. But you've gotta have some common sense and understand your environment. This proved to me that there is very little accountability in Huntsville. And quite frankly, it highlights government inefficiency to thousands of people who may have otherwise been blind to it.
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 724Moderator
    Indeed a good point.
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 724Moderator
    Also I would like to clear the air. I am not saying one 1 or 2 people complain. I would say ALOT of ppl do. I do as well but when I want to comp I try to think about how things might come across. Then half the time I do not make the post I was going to post or the comment I would have commented lol.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    frankof wrote: »
    The game has been dead or dying sins at least AA2.3...

Slow claps all round...
    Just working that out now frankof?
    Been saying it for years.... No one cared... Instead I was censored and slandered because I was not protected by an ingame icon....
    It's always been "us" vs "them" mentality of the Army Failgame Project....
    1.jpg
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,032Moderator
    Oh, but.. never mind...
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    Oh, but.. never mind...

Much as you try Frankof you will never be a (1VB)Blackbear.
    Your more of a +TheSaint+....
    :p <3 B)
    1.jpg
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 448Player
    edited March 2019
    With what, who, and how this game is being developed on today, it will never compete with the big boys. So Whip that is beyond a wish that can be delivered. I think trying to compete with the big boys and developing a mainstream modern twitch shooter is foolish. Short rounds and small action maps and trying to keep players in the game is not in the AA studio's bag of tricks. They haven't done it well. The studio is too small to deliver that kind of success in a crowded market.

I believe some new version has to be a completely unique game where you really get to experience the Army. Then along with that you get some solid multi-player action representing real possible experiences. That may mean larger maps and longer rounds, it just depends on how they do it. [TOS Violation], it could mean a spin on survival where you have to fortify bases and take on real world elements along with AI and multiplayer enemies. It could be battle royal-esque where the battle continues on the ground with reinforcements deployed dynamically based on player count or in-game time. I personally like FPS CQB, but it doesn't matter if they do it right and make a good game with unique "real" army experiences.

I was a part of a comp beta team and it was a complete mess of information because it was divided into two different crowds who wanted different things. Little could be presented before the devs in a presentable fashion because it didn't meet one sides criteria.

As for the official Beta team, the fact that it's run like a frat house is a bit odd too and people pick up on that. It's easy to judge a team that is so proud of an unsuccessful game. That's where the negative comments come from. When a game fails it reflects all of the internal sources of the game, not just the Devs.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,137Player
    edited March 2019
    Maybe you're right and the Army will never have a game that can compete on the broader market and maybe shooting for some niche crowd that wants an Army simulator is the way to go (although I'd argue that Arma has that market pretty well covered). However, considering the Army's push for eSports, I'd be surprised if they don't develop AA5 to try to go for glory. I don't necessarily think that the game needs to be a high paced twitch shooter. Even CS isn't that fast or that twitchy (in fact their aiming system makes twitch shooting not so simple). A slower pace isn't necessarily a bad thing, but that also doesn't mean that the game should be artificially made slow with movement speeds making your guy feel like he's walking in quick sand. A game can be slowed by map design, low time to kill, no revives, slower action speeds, things of that nature. It ramps up the tactical aspect, but still gives players the responsiveness that people expect in modern shooters.

Also, I wouldn't expect the game to be all CQB, even though that's what sells. The original America's Army had a good balance of the CQB maps along with longer range/more open maps. You can give players a mixture of the two.

One thing that the next AA game needs is a more organic team play environment. The game needs to be made in a way that people want to work together, not necessarily because the game forces them to, but because each player's role complements the others and together they make a stronger unit. That's big right now (just look at Apex or even R6:S). For an Army game, this game makes it too easy to lone wolf. I see more team work or at least players sticking together on a CS Pub than I do on most America's Army pubs.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    They are pushing eSports in AAPG if you pay attention to social media, so I don't know what validity that has. haha

I hope they do well. Don't we all? I just hope they don't overshoot what's possible and create something that will fail quickly like AA3 and AAPG have.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    They are pushing eSports in AAPG if you pay attention to social media, so I don't know what validity that has. haha

I hope they do well. Don't we all? I just hope they don't overshoot what's possible and create something that will fail quickly like AA3 and AAPG have.

Yeah, 5 years too late. When AAPG still had a decent sized competitive community though... Plus just advertising for a few leagues is a lot different than crafting gameplay to fit competitive play.
    For sure. They tried where they could, but haven't delivered. They made solid streaming/spectator possibilities and I hope that continues in future development. I'm not sure what authorities they have to abide by or if that's just an excuse for stale delivery of a quality shooter.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited March 2019
    Personally, from a competitive standpoint I'd love to see a few features come stock.

1) Clan tags
    2) Private Lobbies. This would also be great even for friends who just want to play on pubs who can just join on a game together. Obviously this works easiest with matchmaking lobbies, but I'm sure it can be made to work with private servers as well -> One player joins a private server, others get a prompt asking to join the same server.
    3) Competitive match making chat/lobbies - This is a way to get around competitive matchmaking (would be nice to have as well, but maybe wait to see if it gets popular). You can use something like a built in Discord to have chat rooms of some sort. You can then challenge other teams, look for ringers, create a group of just 5 random players, etc. Once you have a 5v5 group, both teams press Start Match and the thing goes. You'd then also be able to setup which map you play (or random), how many rounds, how many sets (and which maps for each set), etc. You can then either play on an official server or clans can just link their own servers to their clan and when teams agree to a match, it will just have both teams join the agreed server and setup the match automatically.
    4) Admin options like AA2's tournament mode. I'm sure CS & R6 also have similar more modern versions of this.

Being able to join a competitive type game at any moment's notice would be a huge boost for the next game. It's really a priority in my eyes. Most games have this ability at this point. For AAPG it's almost impossible to find a real competitive game right now without tracking down clans and seeing if they're up for a scrim. Even without matchmaking, just having a built in ability to find games in a chat room type of environment would be huge. Even if you disable chat until you're in a game and just allow players to pick options (e.g., Looking for 1, Looking to join, Looking for match) so that you don't have toxic chat rooms would work.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,606Beta Tester
    Oh, but.. never mind...

OH, MY....!!!

There's an amazing blast from the past!! :o

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 123Beta Tester
    edited March 2019
    A slower pace isn't necessarily a bad thing, but that also doesn't mean that the game should be artificially made slow with movement speeds making your guy feel like he's walking in quick sand. A game can be slowed by map design, low time to kill, no revives, slower action speeds, things of that nature. It ramps up the tactical aspect, but still gives players the responsiveness that people expect in modern shooters.

Excellent points... especially about the map design. Main problem is that if there are too many choke points, cuts and corners, people tend to camp a lot and then that raises other "issues". As there is no real "planning stage" prior to the round starting, you get run-n-gun and camping instead of strategy and tactics... I also completely agree with the other aspects of your argument (tactics, action speed etc...)

IMO, There is no perfect solution, so the Dev's shouldn't look for one. At the end of the day, the Army will decide what it wants and all we can do is offer contructive criticism.

SideBar: I timed the game for a 100m sprint... 18.75s. Relates to 5.33m/s (11.9mph). This is slower than what is expected for a soldier to do with weapon and gear (though I could not find any US Army standards on the subject, maybe a drill sergeant can chime in :anguished: )

A good article can be found here.
    When it comes to sprint standards, with or without 16kg of equipment, 60m in 8sec and 100m in 12sec is both reasonable and essential in combat. Faster is always better, as is the ability to repeat.

A study titled "Age-Related Differences in 100-m Sprint Performance in Male and Female Master Runners" relating to age dependent sprinting (PDF file) is here.

OIC!

--

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • =IK=.Scooby=IK=.Scooby Posts: 119Player

Yeah, 5 years too late. When AAPG still had a decent sized competitive community though... Plus just advertising for a few leagues is a lot different than crafting gameplay to fit competitive play.

This. The people running AAPG have always been so many steps behind.

This game had a decently sized competitive community, a large portion of which asked over and over again for more support for the competitive scene, and we were pretty much just [TOS Violation] on every time.

Now with the game dead and like 95% of the competitive players I knew no longer playing, they want to try and push for competitive support.

Can only hope they're more ahead of things in AA5.
  • (1VB)Rifle(1VB)Rifle Posts: 2Player
    edited March 2019
    Oh, but.. never mind...

I miss Blackbear. We used to hang out in the 1VB channel on AA's IRC server.
  • {OCS}PaPa-D{OCS}PaPa-D Posts: 11Player
    edited March 2019
    After taking the time to read EVERY post/reply on this thread.. (I'll never get that part of my life back)
    I will say one thing encompassing how I feel about AAPG.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Ok second thing and beyond... {OCS} does have our own server, it's normally BDX as we like it smaller, and more intimate. We DID leave the game once due to lack of players, but now we're back. We're HUGE on anti-cheat with fair and fun play, and we really enjoy what the Dev's have put into this old game, even for a DX9 title It's still AAA in my opinion. We play many older games, and since I'm a developer, I create my own full-conversion mods for COD4, cOD5 and UT2004 still to this day, and we have servers for those games as well. I'm in my 40's and still love to play older games as the latest and greatest thing is 99% of the time not even close to being semi-good let-alone great.

Thanks to the Devs, the administrators, moderators, and EVERYONE involved in AAPG as a whole.
    As an ex NAVY squid, I appreciate being able to frag friends and what not for free (other than what I pay for our servers) even if it IS grunt-style :) CHEERS!

My ONLY complaint is that the dang auth-server keeps going down lately quite a bit. That means the game is unplayable as it's not accessible. I wish there was a permanent fix for this.

OCS_PaPaD_Sig.png
  • Fallenangels420Fallenangels420 Posts: 2Player
    edited March 2019
    So I just got into this game back in December of 2018 without knowing this game had existed! but now that I have it and been playing everyday since, I freakin Love It! I even just started a clan of 7 and have been wanting to compete with the new talent we have and against the talent we have yet to experience. We are a friendly group with respect and experience from other clan battles. I and others from FNA agree that this game has the proper basic techniques we all love and enjoy more than those big brand companies like COD or Battlefield. It has the more TomClancy feeling and strategic value that the others dont have anymore! we are sad this is happening and we still wish to play!!! Our best wishes from the [FNA] Clan. Please Keep Servers OPEN!!!