DemoRec - How to use it

Maybe some of you do not know how to play a demorec file. Here you can read the way how it works, as well as some other useful commands of it.
For me, this is much better then every screenshot.

Comments

• ^KingOfTheHill^KingOfTheHill Posts: 5Player
    nice work thx
  • {OCS}PaPa-D{OCS}PaPa-D Posts: 10Player
    So.. every update makes the videos useless. I'd rather stick with the screenshots and spectating 'cause that's just ridiculous and takes up way too much space for a useless feature.
    OCS_PaPaD_Sig.png
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,018Moderator
    edited March 13
    So.. every update makes the videos useless. I'd rather stick with the screenshots and spectating 'cause that's just ridiculous and takes up way too much space for a useless feature.
    Its not a video, its instructions on how the pawn(s) moved and acted, so every change makes the instructions invalid.

ss_4_frankof.png
  • {OCS}PaPa-D{OCS}PaPa-D Posts: 10Player
    edited March 13
    well that makes sense, so then if the pawn code is changed in an update, etc. I got it. still makes it useless. I'll stick with the screen shots and manual spectating. Thanks for the clarification just the same, I'd forgotten how the feature worked since UT99. Cheers.
    OCS_PaPaD_Sig.png
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 120Beta Tester
    edited March 13

I consider this to be very one dimensional thinking... If you don't know how demorecs can be used and to what extend they can seriously help, then you might be better off not commenting.

I used demorecs all the time to confirm desync issues in the public release of the game when I was living in Australia and to teach people that sometimes they are not as God-Like as they think they are and are equally likely to suffer from Dunning-Kruger (cognitive bias). I wrote a couple of posts on the [TOG] forums entitled "Cognitive bias. When your beliefs get in the way of reality" back in 2016/2017 if you would like to read it (you'll need an account to access it at theoldergamers.com). The best post was my review of the effects of aging on Reaction time, Accuracy, Health, Visual efficiency and Object recognition, as a lot of TOG were "older", thus the name TOG = "The Older Gamers"...

For the record (demo-record :+1: ) the following samples are submitted for your perusal...

For the DESYNC videos, the followig apply:
    1) Demorec (Server) - Upper left viewport - DEMOREC Aerial cam shot above the location where the desync occurs.
    2) Demorec (Server) - Upper right viewport - DEMOREC Cam from player PoV
    3) Player (Client) - Lower right viewport - CLIENT Video on youtube from the players client when he recorded the incident.

1) DESYNC Issue - The client video was provided after he jumped over the fence onto backside of north building in ColdFront, so you don't see what happens between him vaulting into the north roof to the ground. The VIP was in north building, but the client wasn't aware of the view as he had desynced. When the server tried to reconile the problem, the VIP "magically" appeared...

2) DESYNC Issue - 2nd desync video with demorec. Again, bottom right is the desynced client.

3) Dunning-Kruger Problem - A lot of people complain "I was behind the wall" or "no way that could have gotten me" to "place you own excuse for being Uber-Leet here"... well, remember that sometimes you just are not that !@%^ing good. In the following video, "Frankie" claimed my nade should have never hit him, as he was in a safe place... you be the judge. (Note that the demorec was SLOWED down for visual effect :awesome: )

In closing: My apologies in advance to people who may be in the demorecs, I'm using this only to illustrate events as they occurred and not to offend. I hope this post can be used to show how easy it would be during fast game play to see events differently than how they occurred.

Lastly, as with anything, demorecs have a place in the toolbox. If used properly, it can help tremendously. For those who are stuck into "I wanna catch hackers" DEMOREC is the ultimate tool in that it records everything ALL players do from the server point of view (i.e. without spectate lag). You can play it back and record a video from multiple angles and mash up videos like I did. It *IS* reality in AAPG, period.

OIC!
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?