Play demorec from older version

oiNkk.oiNkk. Posts: 56Player
Is there any way to play a demorec recorded many versions ago? 22 october 2017

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,499Beta Tester
    You need the older game version archived somewhere to be able to play that version's Demorecs.

This would work if someone has the complete install folder for the AAGame with the proper files and exe in it. If you don't have that stuff, I know of no way to play them.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 631Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    You need the older game version archived somewhere to be able to play that version's Demorecs.

This would work if someone has the complete install folder for the AAGame with the proper files and exe in it. If you don't have that stuff, I know of no way to play them.

And just for fun, is there any way to roll back your game to a previous version?
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 657Administrator
    I know that there a couple of guys that have the older versions or can get access to them. I don't remember who but I can ask around some other friends and clans and might come up with something.

This is something that you should take note of. The best thing you can do in the future is record the demorec so that if you want to look back on it you will have the copy. I am not saying that it does not suck to have to do that, however it about the best option.
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 657Administrator
    No.
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 93Beta Tester

And just for fun, is there any way to roll back your game to a previous version?

Yep... I've got quite a few versions going WAY back...
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • oiNkk.oiNkk. Posts: 56Player
    OICURMT! wrote: »

You got anything around october 2017?

Best thing to do is archive each fully uncompressed build that you want to use for Demorec, and then you'll have it when you want to do playback. These folders will contain fully playable game versions! (DO NOT use Steam Backup...that doesn't work!!! I found out the hard way.)

Also, keep track of Build Numbers shown in \\AAGame\Binaries\Win32\BuildProperties (It's actually just a text file with no extension.)

Also, at the command prompt of a current EXE you're playing you can type:

version

to get the build number.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 93Beta Tester
    edited January 29
    oiNkk. wrote: »
    OICURMT! wrote: »

You got anything around october 2017?

I do... but at over 10Gb, I doubt I'll upload it anywhere...

Would probably be better if someone can decipher the demorec file and change the header information to match the current version and see if you can force a load.
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
    I'm not sure, but I think it's entirely possible for the server data in the code to address totally new constructs between the builds. Don't know how demorec works exactly, but I'm betting it's more than just a header, since one build may be able to do something another can't (hypothetically speaking, anyway...)

I'd expect this to throw exceptions or write data in the wrong places, etc?
    ______

• oiNkk.oiNkk. Posts: 56Player
    Please tell me what to do, I have no idea. Can't you upload those 10gb on mediafire?