MAP FEEDBACK: Outpost

Comments

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,056Moderator
    What do people think about the concept of restricting specific roles (in this case the Automatic Rifleman), but then placing that role's weapon(s) in the map as a pickup?
    There was a mod for AA2, "Russian attack", it was really bad, i hated it.
    You left spawn without any weapon and had to pick one up.
    It sounded fun at first, but it really wasn't.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    SOPMOD wrote: »
    I think it takes more than a round or set to make judgement on a map.. its new, of coarse it may feel like youre lost at first.. but then it starts making sense.

It's not about being lost though. Almost nobody does objectives on any map and this map layout doesn't encourage it. It's a deathmatch layout.

funny almost every round I played on the PC was picked up and the alarm sounded..
    It's about outpost though, that's C4. :) Don't get me wrong, i'm not writing anything off, just my opinion for now.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited May 2015
    It's about outpost though, that's C4

me sorry oops

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • omerta`jeeomerta`jee Posts: 54Player
    I think the sound is a lot better on this map than any of the old maps. Maybe because the zones or w/e were setup during the design rather than added afterward? I dont really know how it all works.
  • =IK=El.Jefe=IK=El.Jefe Posts: 72Player
    I was playing 2v2 on this map today. It plays way better as a bdx. The objective got done way more than when I played in a full server.

how about this for the armory, fill it up with a few of each type of enemy weapons but allow all classes (except maybe sniper role) when choosing your kit. This way grabbing weapons there is just a cool factor and not a unbalancing one.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 359Player
    11hfcm0.jpg

Well... one can dream, right?
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    What do people think about the concept of restricting specific roles (in this case the Automatic Rifleman), but then placing that role's weapon(s) in the map as a pickup?

I think this could work. Following the rules or risk/reward of course. Say outpost had an armory that was in some central location that forces both teams to a push ..... kind of like .... dare i say, League of Legends ishhhh??.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    I think the armory concept plays fine with respect to role limits and so on. I would say the M249 has dramatic advantages over the M4 and one team is likely to get all three if they so desire, so there's some balancing to do on that aspect perhaps. Additionally, winning the armory fight is likely to mean the team getting an equipment bonus also has a player count advantage. I wonder if the space could be set up with a weapon closer to each side's entrance down a short side passage? The start of round dynamic would be such that you could rush the other side and have line of sight before a person could get down that hall, grab the weapon, and get back out (if that makes sense). That's how I'd design it for symmetry.

Alternatively, since one team is fighting for the stronger RPK, make the armory favor one team and let the other side spawn with an M249.

More general map feedback: that tri-level choke is the game's first serious attempt at an area that's truly about vertical engagements. It felt to me like grenades played a really huge role there that overpowered line of sight dynamics. I think stretching that space out, leveling out the area a bit by reducing the angles involved in looking from one height to another, would help it play a little better and reduce grenade strength a bit.

The flappy doors... Hoo boy. It's hard to think about them without going straight to the slide animation, seemingly the best way to attack through them. As a concept, I think they work alright, particularly if you guys can get the destruction and physics interactions you want to add to work. Unfortunately, without those extra mechanics, it's a lot of sliding around (and it still feels like players just dodge bullets sometimes when they do that, even if it's a perceptual thing with players changing speed quickly etc).

Especially as a FLO, I felt like assault needed more options. I felt like my choice was either go to the armory fight or go to the grenades-murder-death-cliff. At least defense can choose to play passive as an option and feel like they're still playing the objective/mission. An extra route would probably help.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player

I like this idea but would prefer if it was just one random weapon out of all the weapons in random spots in that room per round. So one round it could be a sniper rifle the other round it could be an enemy weapon ak105, next round it could be ar etc...
    I think it takes more than a round or set to make judgement on a map.. its new, of coarse it may feel like youre lost at first.. but then it starts making sense.

It's not about being lost though. Almost nobody does objectives on any map and this map layout doesn't encourage it. It's a deathmatch layout.

funny almost every round I played on the PC was picked up and the alarm sounded..

Yah how many times was the objective actually completed to win the round. I don't see it very often all's it ever is when I am defense is Assault camping spawn all round not even caring about objective. This make me think of a match I played the other day when bomb was planted and I'm needing a revive about 5 feet or so from the bomb and the bomb is literally about to explode everyone on the other team is dead and the last person on my team revives me instead of defusing the bomb so once I get up I go defuse bomb and it explodes when I am about 66% complete. So had he of not revived me and just went straight for the defuse we would of won the round and not lost the round. This is what revives are teaching the new players. You def need to think about some kind of tutorial for new players.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    you guys are silly
  • -=312th=-Delta_Force-=312th=-Delta_Force Posts: 30Player
    Could be a good map with some minor tweaks. Can't seem to get a full server that isn't in the EU. But things I have noticed.

The Gun Room needs to be reworked. To hard to maneuver.
    Should be allowed to climb on anything that is climbing height. If people fall off that is their own problem.
    After some more play --

I actually really like the overall layout and flow that happens *after* assault has primary control of the vertical choke. Some changes to help push the gameplay closer to this layout for where engagements occur could make it feel less hectic. From there, the layout works really well with nice options for coordination for either side:
    MCAyVPz.png

I do think it'd help to have a connection from defense mid to armory so that assault can coordinate an attack there from two angles without being forced to get through armory. Without any changes on that side, planting Y is very difficult.
    0lWY1ze.png
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Dude! Those are really cool arrows!!! :D
    It's long been my impression that the Army places great value in dramatic swoopy arrows :D

PQ3V80z.gif
  • -=NB2P=-xav33-=NB2P=-xav33 Posts: 9Player
    This card is truly the most successful games in the system ...

She volume ... it is not linear .. and really gives a good impression of realism that can give us the impression of really beings above (which could be in the other maps) ..

then the armory is a very good idea ...
    also apply to all the maps ... like that the first to arrive first served ....

For the defense it can be a lack of parts more .. which can circumvent the attack strategy or a higher point ....
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    Love the map, reminded me of woodland outpost with the rock walls. Funny to read 'no this is brutal' and 'this can't work like this' meanwhile almost everyone Ive played with loved the map. Stairs and certain areas need fixing as it stops you from sprinting (I have SS but bug report doesn't work)
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    Here is Bug Report Help. Maybe you have to login, if so, click on the link again.
    http://www.americasarmy.com/embed/bugreport/