My Suggestion, for a much-needed new feature

LIL-GHOSTLIL-GHOST Posts: 35Player
edited January 5 in General Discussion
NOTE~ I play on PS4 So if this feature is already on PC then just let me know, but I would like some feedback on this idea. I have had it for a while and I've been telling people all over about it when I play online because man I think this is seriously needed.~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED~ or come back up to read =]
As far as button mapping goes, in case all of the other buttons on the controller are already assigned other functions, I dont think swiping left down or right on your touch pad do anything at the moment, it would be similar to swiping up on your touchpad to make an audible hooah. ALSO I am pretty sure all of these can function on the same button except for possibly the last two grenade concepts below, which is why I put them as optional because they are not as important. The last two concepts can be omitted especially if it becomes too difficult to code or for devs to work in.
But the only conflict I can think of for both grenade interactions is if you are looking at an enemy grenade while also pulling out your own grenade.... Which option would the button perform at that point... There is not a whole lot wrong with the current grenade system so I'm not complaining. Please read further in order to understand what I'm talking about. But do note the first three concepts are badly needed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Man I'm telling you they need to add a Heck Nope button...
I can think of three scenarios it would help out right off the bat...

~The revive

When you're being revived and you know it's bad. for example if there's a live grenade next to your body as you're being revived... You tap the Heck Nope button and it just slaps the dudes hands away from you so you don't get revived... and you continue to bleed, now tell that fool Heck Nope...

~ the choke out

When you're choking somebody out and you've realized it was a bad decision or bad timing because he has friendly's around him or a nade lands nearby or whatever. Instead of being forced to commit to the choke, and just getting shot while trying to choke out this dude. Tap the Heck Nope button and push him away. He gets to live and you get to make better choices. Tell that dude Heck Nope...

~Hurdle

When you've accidentally begun to climb or pole vault over a barrier...
If the only thing on the other side of the barrier is a drop to your death, or you know you will be put out into the open and exposed.... tap the Heck Nope button fast enough before you fully commit to dropping over the other side and instead drop back down safely on your side. Tell that wall Heck Nope...

BONUS *Optional/unnecessary*

~Grenades

You can make the Heck Nope button be used for picking up & throwing back or kicking grenades... The key would be you have to be LOOKING AT the grenade when you tap the Heck Nope button...
You can't just Spam the button every time you hear a grenade land...
You got to find that thing..
Then tell that grenade Heck Nope...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ADDITIONAL BONUS/OPTIONAL USE FOR "BUTTON"

~Nade pin

Now IDK how it works on PC, but I'm on PS4 & "AS FAR AS I KNOW" The moment you hit your grenade button that grenade is coming out and the pin WILL be pulled, whether you decide to cook it or not is up to you... The Heck Nope button could be used to put your grenade away if you manage to tap the button before the animation completes pulling the PIN out of said nade. Tell your nade pin Heck Nope...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think you get it by now lol. It is used as a bail of sorts. IDK, what do you guys think¿?

& Please, Let me know if you come up with any other ideas or concepts the "HECK NOPE" button may be used for. I'm curious to see what other players have struggled with when it comes to commitments you wish you could get out of once they've been initiated in game lol

~I have edited the original text for this post so as to take out any explicit/offensive language. I still have my original draft saved to my phone =]
Add the button?
  1. Add the button?4 votes
    1. NO
      50.00%
    2. Yes
      50.00%
    3. Yes but without grenade interactions
        0.00%
    4. Yes but only for revive denial & choke cancel
        0.00%
    5. Yes but only for denying revives
        0.00%

Comments

• LIL-GHOSTLIL-GHOST Posts: 35Player
    The poll comes out funny on my screen.... Can you even vote "no" ?
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,082Player
    edited January 4
    So to summarize, an ability to cancel actions once the animation begins & reject revives. I'm pretty sure a lot of that stuff was requested in the past. I support it.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    This may have been brought up in the forums before. I have never really used the forums. I think I made my account on here so I can track stats or something originally... Looking back I see MONTANA made a post about denying revives, which is funny because I've discussed the same feature with MONTANA online lol.

The two grenade related features at the bottom we're after thoughts.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,082Player
    LIL-GHOST wrote: »
    This may have been brought up in the forums before. I have never really used the forums. I think I made my account on here so I can track stats or something originally... Looking back I see MONTANA made a post about denying revives, which is funny because I've discussed the same feature with MONTANA online lol.

The two grenade related features at the bottom we're after thoughts.

Don't worry, the more people who request such things the higher chance that maybe the dev team will realize that it's not just us crazies who frequent the forum who want them. People were asking for the ability to deny revive years ago.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    At the very least rev denial and choke cancel are badly needed. I mean if they are going for realism why would I continue to choke out somebody when there's a live grenade next to our feet... Or if his buddy turns the corner while I'm choking him why am I unable to move... Let me drag this fool backwards into some cover or something. Let me pull out a pistol maybe... Or the very simple heck nope button to cancel choke lol. & Like I said if it pushed the enemy character when you cancelled it that would be great to put a lil distance between the two of you... but if it didn't do that and it just stopped choking I still wouldn't be mad
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 632Player
    PC has a "toggle grenade" option where you can just sit there with it in your hands without pulling the pin. Pulling the pin is holding left mouse and tapping right mouse begins the cooking process. PC also has a "throw grenade" button that if held will pull the grenade and begin cooking it. If tapped it will just throw an uncooked grenade. I'm guessing the PS4 only has the "throw grenade" option? If so, maybe they could, and I don't really like this idea because I hate having the pistol in the weapon scroll rotation, add grenades in as you cycle through weapons. I realize you have a limited number of buttons available, so I'm not sure what options you have.

I definitely think the melee should be able to be cancelled. Once upon a time, secures couldn't be stopped. I imagine cancelling a choke would be a similar change.

As far as throwing grenades back, I don't see that ever happening. As far as I know, it's never been in any version of AA. I'm guessing there might me some Army regulation against it? Maybe? Regardless, I'm not confident it could be smoothly implemented where you consistently can pick up a grenade you're looking at. The better option by far would be to seek cover. Generally speaking, if you have time to pick it up and throw it back, you have time to get away.

I'm not sure I agree with being able to decline a revive as it's happening. I see that as being a really easy way to troll people. As I said in the other thread, I could maybe see a toggle that takes a second or two to go into effect. That way a player would know before they ran for your body if you can be revived or not. You can toggle revives off as long as you know it'd be a bad pickup. I hate bad revives as much as the next guy, and I'll repost this video just for fun:

edited January 4
    PC has a "toggle grenade" option where you can just sit there with it in your hands without pulling the pin. Pulling the pin is holding left mouse and tapping right mouse begins the cooking process. PC also has a "throw grenade" button that if held will pull the grenade and begin cooking it. If tapped it will just throw an uncooked grenade. I'm guessing the PS4 only has the "throw grenade" option? If so, maybe they could, and I don't really like this idea because I hate having the pistol in the weapon scroll rotation, add grenades in as you cycle through weapons. I realize you have a limited number of buttons available, so I'm not sure what options you have.

I definitely think the melee should be able to be cancelled. Once upon a time, secures couldn't be stopped. I imagine cancelling a choke would be a similar change.

As far as throwing grenades back, I don't see that ever happening. As far as I know, it's never been in any version of AA. I'm guessing there might me some Army regulation against it? Maybe? Regardless, I'm not confident it could be smoothly implemented where you consistently can pick up a grenade you're looking at. The better option by far would be to seek cover. Generally speaking, if you have time to pick it up and throw it back, you have time to get away.

I'm not sure I agree with being able to decline a revive as it's happening. I see that as being a really easy way to troll people. As I said in the other thread, I could maybe see a toggle that takes a second or two to go into effect. That way a player would know before they ran for your body if you can be revived or not. You can toggle revives off as long as you know it'd be a bad pickup. I hate bad revives as much as the next guy, and I'll repost this video just for fun:

Wow, I didn't even think to include in the poll, "yes but only for choke cancel." What are your thoughts on the hurdle cancel?

Also I see an easy setup for console nade buttons to make it similar to PC. ONE TAP TO PULL IT OUT. DOUBLE TAP TO THROW QUICK. DOUBLE TAP AND HOLD TO COOK. You see the second tap is what starts the pin pull and throw animation. This would allow us to hold it the way you do on PC and still give us the option to lob it really quick or cook it without really changing up the controls or even making it difficult.

When you say throw an "uncooked grenade" do you mean it's thrown just like if we were to tap our nade trigger on console, or are you saying PC players can throw a grenade with the pin still in it? LOL this would be hilarious

Wow, I didn't even think to include in the poll, "yes but only for choke cancel." What are your thoughts on the hurdle cancel?

Also I see an easy setup for console nade buttons to make it similar to PC. ONE TAP TO PULL IT OUT. DOUBLE TAP TO THROW QUICK. DOUBLE TAP AND HOLD TO COOK. You see the second tap is what starts the pin pull and throw animation. This would allow us to hold it the way you do on PC and still give us the option to lob it really quick or cook it without really changing up the controls or even making it difficult.

When you say throw an "uncooked grenade" do you mean it's thrown just like if we were to tap our nade trigger on console, or are you saying PC players can throw a grenade with the pin still in it? LOL this would be hilarious

I mean pull the pin and throw.

We've all had times where we've vaulted something accidentally. I tend to jump as I run around, so it happens to me most often when I hit jump and get "sucked into" a vault. I'm not opposed to a cancel in theory, but I imagine the window would be pretty small and I'm not sure how well it would work.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 306Player
    NOTE~ I play on PS4 So if this feature is already on PC then just let me know, but I would like some feedback on this idea. I have had it for a while and I've been telling people all over about it when I play online because man I think this is seriously needed.~

As far as button mapping goes, in case all of the other buttons on the controller are already assigned other functions, I dont think swiping left down or right on your touch pad do anything at the moment, similar to swiping up on your touchpad to make an audible hooah. ALSO I am pretty sure all of these can function on the same button except for possibly the last two which is why I put them as optional because they are not as important. The last two concepts can be omitted especially if it becomes too difficult to code or for devs to work in.
    But the only conflict I can think of is if you are looking at an enemy grenade while also pulling out your own grenade.... Which option would the button perform at that point... There is not a whole lot wrong with the current grenade system so I'm not complaining. Please read on in order to understand what I'm talking about. But do note the first three concepts are badly needed.

~The revive

When you're being revived and you know it's bad. for example if there's a live grenade next to your body as you're being revived... You tap the Heck Nope button and it just slaps the dudes hands away from you so you don't get revived... and you continue to bleed, now tell that fool Heck Nope...

~ the choke out

When you're choking somebody out and you've realized it was a bad decision or bad timing because he has friendly's around him or a nade lands nearby or whatever. Instead of being forced to commit to the choke, and just getting shot while trying to choke out this dude. Tap the Heck Nope button and push him away. He gets to live and you get to make better choices. Tell that dude Heck Nope...

~Hurdle

If the only thing on the other side of the barrier is a drop to your death, or you know you will be put out into the open and exposed.... tap the Heck Nope button fast enough before you fully commit to dropping over the other side and instead drop back down safely on your side. Tell that wall Heck Nope...

~Grenades

You can make the Heck Nope button be used for picking up & throwing back or kicking grenades... The key would be you have to be LOOKING AT the grenade when you tap the Heck Nope button...

~Nade pin

Now IDK how it works on PC, but I'm on PS4 & "AS FAR AS I KNOW" The moment you hit your grenade button that grenade is coming out and the pin WILL be pulled, whether you decide to cook it or not is up to you... The Heck Nope button could be used to put your grenade away if you manage to tap the button before the animation completes pulling the PIN out of said nade. Tell your nade pin Heck Nope...

I think you get it by now lol. It is used as a bail of sorts. IDK, what do you guys think¿?

& Please, Let me know if you come up with any other ideas or concepts the "HECK NOPE" button may be used for. I'm curious to see what other players have struggled with when it comes to commitments you wish you could get out of once they've been initiated in game lol

~I have edited the original text for this post so as to take out any explicit/offensive language. I still have my original draft saved to my phone =]

1. No. It's your team-mates job to make sure its safe to revive you.
    2. No. For starters, the enemy will know that you tried to choke him, so your cover will already be blown (you'll either have to kill him or run away). If he has team-mates, chances are quite high you'll die anyway.
    3. Could work perhaps. Maybe if you hold x to vault over stuff so that you don't accidentally vault when you try to jump or vice-versa.
    4. Sounds interesting. It'd certainly make people want to cook their grenades more, but then again, first you gotta know* exactly where the grenade landed, or hope that it landed right it front of your face, then you gotta hope that you have enough time to throw it back before it explodes.
    5. Maybe just allow the grenade to be re-pinned or something. This could be accomplished by switching back to your weapon.

. What I wouldn't mind is a vote-to-kick option for annoying team-mates. Tell that team-flasher/team-killer "heck-nope"
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
    edited January 5

As far as button mapping goes, in case all of the other buttons on the controller are already assigned other functions, I dont think swiping left down or right on your touch pad do anything at the moment, similar to swiping up on your touchpad to make an audible hooah. ALSO I am pretty sure all of these can function on the same button except for possibly the last two which is why I put them as optional because they are not as important. The last two concepts can be omitted especially if it becomes too difficult to code or for devs to work in.
    But the only conflict I can think of is if you are looking at an enemy grenade while also pulling out your own grenade.... Which option would the button perform at that point... There is not a whole lot wrong with the current grenade system so I'm not complaining. Please read on in order to understand what I'm talking about. But do note the first three concepts are badly needed.

~The revive

~ the choke out

~Hurdle

~Grenades

~Nade pin

1. No. It's your team-mates job to make sure its safe to revive you.
    2. No. For starters, the enemy will know that you tried to choke him, so your cover will already be blown (you'll either have to kill him or run away). If he has team-mates, chances are quite high you'll die anyway.
    3. Could work perhaps. Maybe if you hold x to vault over stuff so that you don't accidentally vault when you try to jump or vice-versa.
    4. Sounds interesting. It'd certainly make people want to cook their grenades more, but then again, first you gotta know* exactly where the grenade landed, or hope that it landed right it front of your face, then you gotta hope that you have enough time to throw it back before it explodes.
    5. Maybe just allow the grenade to be re-pinned or something. This could be accomplished by switching back to your weapon.

. What I wouldn't mind is a vote-to-kick option for annoying team-mates. Tell that team-flasher/team-killer "heck-nope"

1. The problem is that a lot of players go straight for the revive with no concern for securing the area. It could be they don't know any better and it could be that they just want the points. The video I posted above, whIle extreme, is something I've seen happen quite a few times. He revived the guy, watched him die instantly and then revived him again. I'd like to see this implemented as a "unrevivable" toggle to reduce the ability to troll, but as I've said, I don't see it as a necessity.

2. Some chance is better than no chance. OP is right. Turn melee into a hold action, like securing or reviving, and keep players from being locked into it once it starts. As I said, securing enemies used to lock you in once you started, but they changed that. This should be done the same way.

3. We've talked about "fixing" vaulting forever. I think they may have shortened the distance that you can vault things from at one point. Tap to jump and hold to vault is probably the best option if any further changes are to be made. Separate buttons wouldn't work for PS4.

4. I'd see it as sort of a gimmicky thing versus any kind of real tactic. I'm also not sure the Army wants to promote such an action. As I said in my previous post, if you have time to pick it up and throw it back, you have more than enough time to seek cover. I also don't trust that it would be smoothly implemented. You're looking at it, but the game doesn't think you're looking at it "closely enough." You blow up for no reason.

5. Like picking up a grenade and throwing it back, I believe there's a safety issue with trying to put the pin back into the grenade. Having the ability to equip a grenade without pulling the pin is part of the meta on PC as well. I can pull a nade and swap back to my gun to try to bait an enemy around a corner who hears me pull the nade. On PC I am able to hit 2 to pull out my frag, then hold mouse 1 (fire button) to pull the pin, then tap mouse 2 (ADS button) to pop the spoon and start cooking it, finally releasing mouse 1 to throw it. 3 is the key for secondary nade. 4 is throw frag, which just pulls it and throws it, or starts cooking it if held. 5 is the same for secondary nade. The only time I ever use 5 is if I want to throw a flash as quickly as possible to clear an area. If it's possible to set up buttons as I described on PS4, I think it would be an improvement.

6. This game has gone back and forth on votekicking. It seems like it's abused more than it's legitimately used, so it ends up disabled on most servers. Maybe with the party system on PS4 the motivations to abuse it wouldn't be as prevalent. People on PC would use it to vote people off to get their friends on their team or, in more extreme examples, vote the rest of the server off and take it over for themselves.
    My thoughts on the denial/cancel animation idea whether it be a choke, vault, or even throwing a nade. I think the idea would be that your window of opportunity to cancel these things would be very small. That's a good thing in my opinion. Requires you to be aware of what's going on, and forces very deliberate actions.
    I do like the idea of the choke out being a button hold though, just like securing enemies is now. That's great.

I did not know there were so many separate decisions you can make on PC regarding grenades. Pulling out the grenade, pulling pin, releasing spoon, holding or throwing live nade... All separate keys, it's kind of awesome.

I think the easiest/closest way to make PlayStation similar is to use the same trigger with a double tap function like I said before though. One tap to pull it out. Second tap pulls pin and releases spoon and throws, unless you hold down the second tap, then it would just hold the live grenade until you release.

And even if a grenade kick were an option, it's another one of those things where you have to make the decision within a split second, and it would probably rarely ever happen. Because everything would have to be just right. You would have to see the grenade and already be set up to launch it in the direction you want it to go lol. I like I said originally the last two ideas on my list are completely unnecessary.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 637Player
    The ability to cancel an action is cool w/ me. Just like placing C4 used to be...you have to HOLD to finish. Why not the same for revives, chokes, vaults? But i dont agree with the ability to cancel a teammates revival.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 617Player
    doogle! wrote: »
    But i dont agree with the ability to cancel a teammates revival.

Why!? Faking actions was a big part of successful game play in aa2. I like to do it in aapg, too.
    AAPG is good!
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 637Player
    Cause you're "dead" or at least incapacitated. How can I slap the guys hand away lol

Faking actions is fine as long as Im the imitator of the revive. But the recipient canceling my revive? Cmon maaaan

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 617Player
    Got you wrong maaaan. I also don't wanna someone to decline my attempt to revive. Thought you talk about the initiator.
    AAPG is good!
    *slapping hands away was more of a joke* but seriously man nothing is worse than knowing someone's about to finish reviving you while there's a grenade next to you... If you could stop the revive then he may realize he could run away and come back and try to revive again.