AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    Ssavv wrote: »
    AA6? CryEngine 3 - US Army Dismounted Soldier Training System

Funny that this was 7 years ago and in some respects it looks better than some games that are coming out today.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    Just like Virtual BattleSpace, what looks good as a Military Simulator does not often work out well for the public gaming community.
    Having active America's Army Community Managers would be a good start... Or Developers that are present and participate in the public community...

That said, being as the current Developers are natively trained in Unreal Engine, it would be foolhardy to change to another Game Engine. Even if that game engine (ie. CryEngine 5.5) is far superior graphically.
    1.jpg
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    FYI - They are said to be hiring a new team for AA5. CryEngine doesn't have to be shut out completely, but likely will.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    BTW, just throwing this nostalgia gem out there, since I was looking through my old photobucket account:
    aa16menu_zps22571925.png

• OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 161Beta Tester
    edited October 2018
    Ssavv wrote: »
    AA6? CryEngine 3 - US Army Dismounted Soldier Training System

Video is from 2011.
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 272Player
    People are highly critical, because we've been highly fractured relative to the series of the past that represented the Army more precisely. As disappointed as I am with AAPG, it's an okay game, but nothing I'd recommend or play regularly. I expect quite a few feel the same.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I've been temp banned from forums for being so critical but I'm still not going to shut my mouth. What you have to understand is aa2 carried a very passionate playerbase.
    AA2 was a diamond in the rough back in the day, player mechanics, training, weapons etc....were the greatest things that set it apart from all the rest.

Do I want aa2 back, sure...but I know that type of game will not work these days. What did work was it was "almost" 100% backed by the community which is a far cry from where your at now. Did everything work in aa2? No but it was far superior than aa3 & aapg for sure.
    The Army has created a game that the community didn't want which is why the player base is crap now compared to yesteryears. We previously had something to the tune of 250 pages of awesome suggestions for this version (aapg) and it almost all fell on deaf ears which alienated almost all the old school aao playerbase.

As I realize the Army will create whatever they want, I hope they realize that if they create something nobody wants to play : your game won't reach your targeted audience (potential recruits irl)
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    vapor.i wrote: »
    As I realize the Army will create whatever they want, I hope they realize that if they create something nobody wants to play : your game won't reach your targeted audience (potential recruits irl)

We are aware of this phenomenon.
  • {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player
    This is refreshing.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player

i would actually like to see what the dev team could do if they had free control ,
    dynamic weather ,drivable vehicles , etc etc

Refreshing yet underwhelming. Can they do some good again some day? And if so, when?
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    As a note, this thread is now three months old. Is AAV still just kicking around the tires or has real development begun? We're talking a quarter of a year, that's a long time to get a project going.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    As a note, this thread is now three months old. Is AAV still just kicking around the tires or has real development begun? We're talking a quarter of a year, that's a long time to get a project going.

So far it is just devs volunteering and saying "hey I want to work on AAV." Three months is not a long time to get a government project going. Sorry.
    edited November 2018
    The DEV volunteers cannot work on both AAPG and AAV. No brainwash of AAPG should carry into AAV. :)
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    The DEV volunteers cannot work on both AAPG and AAV. No brainwash of AAPG should carry into AAV. :)

I find it fascinating that you think some Army Colonel or whatever should be fired for not making a fun video for you. Let's face it - that's what your comment really means.

The Devs have been constrained by that guy and after all this time you all still poke derision at the talent instead of the decision-making. At this point, why don't you understand (Government!) project management? The person who controls funding in any project wins all the arguments! That's just how it goes.

It. Ain't. The. Devs.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

So far it is just devs volunteering and saying "hey I want to work on AAV." Three months is not a long time to get a government project going. Sorry.

Ahh, good ol government efficiency.
  • jgvn11jgvn11 Posts: 92Player
    I've been waiting for supply to grant me money for a new shredder for my S-3 shop for 5 months. Love it...
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 733Player
    Use your fingers and scissors. OOooorrah semper fi

Don't worry. Money will show up 2Q FY19. Throwback to this time in 2012, I was filing my travel voucher for $14K for a TDY to Kuwait City.

Keebler, he said literally nothing about their talent. I imagine with the gloves off, the Devs are very skilled. But government contractors or not, any gaming studio is going to put restrictions on what can and cannot be done. We need a voice(s) on the inside (yes, maybe even the employees at Army Game Studios) throwing their experience and weight around as much as possible to make the necessary improvements in the next instalment. Maybe that wont happen based on the cool videos I've seen on youtube in green suits. Granted...the decision makers probably don't know how bad it actually is on the ground when all they're getting briefed is that AAPG has 1.2 million unique player accounts.

doogle! wrote: »
    Keebler, he said literally nothing about their talent.

He really dislikes my negativity. Spot on.

AAHollywood indicated that AAPG and AAV would be separate teams. I expect there will be some overlap at times, but based on the statement provided, it will likely be a different crew or the AAPG crew will be trimmed and some talent brought over to AAV.

But now if I must... The Devs of AAPG are talented, clearly. You can't just make a game and not be talented. Performance wise, it's beyond what AA3 ever was and that was a legit contracted game development team who botched that. They've done many things well, but the concept and arrangement of the ideas of AAPG, it's missed the cue to say the least. Haven given credit where it is due and shade thrown upon unpopular AA games, any favoritism or opinions towards AAPG has to be whipped away, leading to clear thought going into a new AA game for it to be successful.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited November 2018
    I will say that AAPG was immensely hurt by the whole training theme. To invest so much time and effort into that on day 1 is one of the many things that hurt the initial feedback on the game. Let's remember what many people's first impression of the game was: cardboard cutout maps, no opfor weapons, no lean, excessive revives where no one ever really dies, capture the flag, among some others. There was a lot of wasted time on a game that was never intended to feel like the original America's Army games. Then when they realized that feedback was overwhelmingly negative on that stuff they started to try to change course and make things more like the old games. However, they were still prevented for whatever reason from taking the extra steps necessary to try to push it to target a more high skill type game which is the only thing that would have given it a chance.
    I don't think making those sort of changes would have changed much in player draw. If it's like that today, why aren't people playing it like crazy?
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!