AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    bigfatpat wrote: »
    My god - just make it like AA 1.0/2.0. I know it will never happen but I miss Pipe/Weapons Cache/MOUT McKenna.

Any of the old schoolers remember JRTC Farm? That [TOS Violation] was amazing (and amazing for honor farm too)

I can throw old maps into AAPG too, doesn't make it like AAO. In fact after playing a lot of the maps from AAO, I can say for sure that they don't play like they did back then. There are a lot of things that need to be changed. A good balance between the stuff that made the original great along with solid features that foster a high skill curve would make for an amazing game.

Agreed.

We keep picking on suppression and flashes because they're among the easiest targets to support the overall message: raise the skill ceiling.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    AA:PG success on console has evidently given AA a new lease of life, this chance at doing another game. Since the PC version is supposedly a fail, what.. due to flashbangs sucking, revives being crud, hit/aimpunch and suppression being janky and just general other gamebreakers that have caused the death of PC AAPG. Tip - lets not alienate and attack the guys keeping the game alive, even if it is on another platform.

Screw your calm heads back on, drop the angry, bad attitudes and the "I should know better than you, because I am better than you" mindsets and for once, think bigger than yourselves? it's not hard to have a difference of opinion without coming across a jerk.. not everyone hates the game same as I'm sure not everyone thinks it's broken. Whats a bad thing (gameplay wise) for one person is not necessarily a bad thing for another. It's OK to not like things about the game and tell of those things, but it's not really OK to force them views down other peoples throats who may actually appreciate those same things, whether they agree or not. Think about it. It's like people are scared their voice is not being heard over someone else's.. even though we know by what devs have said, that it's not true.

Also, come on.. calling people clueless and plebs.. how old are you guys? seriously? it's both insulting and it's nothing but flamebait at its finest, posting like that never does nothing good. Tots may have been guilty of over policing but from how I read most posts people make these days, it was necessary to keep some sort of civility and stop forum infractions before (or in) their tracks.

There is a tonne of good stuff in this thread, i'm sure no matter how or where we play AA we can all agree on that.. so please, lets not run the possibility of ruining it ey? at least being the adults I'm sure most of us are.

^ Hooah
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    Sadly I will admit Console is where the player base is at now as per aaHollywoods comment.
    PC is dead. Why is PC dead? Blame lies solely at the feet of poor management, either directly or indirectly over the years. Brand recognition is cancer among the PC community.
    If Console is where the US Army will signup all its poor little darlings for cannon fodder then I say crack on and keep developing console.
    But don't ever make a console port. Its not worth it.
    1.jpg
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    bigfatpat wrote: »
    My god - just make it like AA 1.0/2.0. I know it will never happen but I miss Pipe/Weapons Cache/MOUT McKenna.

Any of the old schoolers remember JRTC Farm? That [TOS Violation] was amazing (and amazing for honor farm too)

I can throw old maps into AAPG too, doesn't make it like AAO. In fact after playing a lot of the maps from AAO, I can say for sure that they don't play like they did back then. There are a lot of things that need to be changed. A good balance between the stuff that made the original great along with solid features that foster a high skill curve would make for an amazing game.

Agreed.

We keep picking on suppression and flashes because they're among the easiest targets to support the overall message: raise the skill ceiling.

Not to mention the easiest to make changes to, along with player movement speed so it doesnt feel so sluggish and then I and many other could start playing again.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited October 2018
    Sadly I will admit Console is where the player base is at now as per aaHollywoods comment.
    PC is dead. Why is PC dead? Blame lies solely at the feet of poor management, either directly or indirectly over the years. Brand recognition is cancer among the PC community.
    If Console is where the US Army will signup all its poor little darlings for cannon fodder then I say crack on and keep developing console.
    But don't ever make a console port. Its not worth it.

I will say that PC still has a big community waiting to come back. Go on the America's Army Game Facebook page. Almost every time there's a post there are people asking for AA2 to come back. For years I've been seeing this. Make a modern successor of AA2 and you'll see a huge amount of PC players coming back.

Also, Army Devs, in the next game you must include training. You may think it's insignificant (or at least you did when you created AAPG), but people expect it. I see people talk about it so much and I even hear people talk about it when playing in servers (I heard about it yesterday too while playing). Training is a must, don't skimp, just make it interesting and engaging. You can make a way for people to just jump into the game without it, but make it so you can only get the most basic load out so that people can at least try the game before committing to the training. I'd even say that you make it so that players just get some generic soldier if they go this route and that in order to create your own soldier you have to do the training.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • AwbeeAwbee Posts: 19Player
    LET ME ANALYZE H.I.H.A.G's Comment.
    And I'll say this is Total B.S. or not.
    America's Army has never been a MilSim and never will be.
    (It is.. A Simulation FPS..)

America's Army is a Recruitment tool designed to suck in all them poor little young darlings into the US Military.
    Where do you draw the line for realism? Is it ArmA or is it Counter Strike? Even Solitaire can be dicey with all them paper cuts!
    People want a quick and easy "jump in and win" games. People don't want high entry barrier games requiring you to read a thesis manual along with uber skills just to run around a map and have fun.
    Community creates the gameplay. In America's Army you can join servers where no one talks and your flamed for dying, or you can join servers that are vocally supportive and kind.

My reply to Keebler750 is;
    Do we need another half baked unoptimised laggy first person shooter made on Unreal Engine 4?
    My answer is no...

I think they should take steps to increase the skill ceiling. As it sits right now, there's not a huge learning curve to the game, especially compared to CSGO.

I'd suggest:
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from gunfire. Stop rewarding people for missing.

- The First B.S.! Suppression Effects are useful in many situations: Literally Suppressing an Enemy for make them can't move. And make them harder to shoot. If you want to get rid of it, How about new players? They'll have nothing!
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from nades, or at least significantly reduce it.

- 2nd B.S. Do you know what is "Shockwave".. It is necessary to feel someone concussion. (The Main Purpose of the M67 is killing somebody by a fragments btw)
    • Significantly decrease the visual effect of a flashbang that's not in your field of view. Flashbangs can be cooked. Make people throw them well.

- Sir, Do you even realized this ISN'T CSGO? AAPG(or AA series) is a Simulation FPS. although the AA:PG is more casual than the other AA series, this game is STILL realistic.

This opinion is total B.S. If the M84 Stun Grenade's effectiveness decreases when someone turn around, It will goes to the trashcan IMMEDIATELY. and the Generals will say: HOW THE #### IS THIS THING JUST PASSED THE PERFOMANCE EVALUATION?!
      And think about in real life about a warzone. You're an Army Solder with the other 11 soldiers, Just entered the MOUT environment, Your Squad is trying to clear the building that 9 terrorists are in a SINGLE room.
      You throw the flashbang, some of the terrorist just turned around, and boom! 4 men casualties.
    • Get rid of the exponentially increasing recoil with low HP. The penalty for low HP is low HP.
      -Oh, once again this isn't CSGO cowboy. So you think you're able to shoot your gun nicely when you get shot by multiple times?
    • Consider reducing the radius on frag grenades. As with flashes, grenades can be cooked, so a good throw should be required.
      - M84, M67, and M106 can be cooked ALREADY SINCE AA2.

And do you know how effective they're?
      - M67 Fragmentation Grenade: 5m Kill zone, 15m casualty zone
      - M84 Stun Grenade: ONLY ONE. METER. Even in real life.
    • Either remove supported positions or take further steps to balance them. Being able to strafe while ADS and firing is absurd. Minimal recoil, mostly behind cover and the ability to move from side to side while firing? What's the downside? I'd suggest at the very least forcing a dismount and remount animation to move. Possibly make ducking for cover take longer.

- Well if the enemy is HIGHLY skilled then they'll hit YOUR FOREHEAD! same goes by leaning. the smaller hit area you expose, the more chance to hit to your head.
    • Maps built for specific loadouts. AAPG allows for too many zoom optics per side, in my opinion. I also liked the predefined spawn points for each fire team position for AA2.

- This thing is only I liked..
    I'm sure I can come up with more, but those are the main ones that come to mind for me.

tl;dr: All of your opinion is bad, this is simulation, not csgo,

Just my opinion, I want:
    • Slower or fast movement by equipping more or less equipment like the AA3's loadout system (Patrol Gear vs Full Battle Rattle)
    • More suppression effectiveness so I can suppress the snipers or a normal enemies
    • More customization system
    • Larger Maps....
    • Etc...
    A W B E E, _B L U E _ W H E L P L I N G
    C O L D A R R A, _ B O R E A N _ T U N D R A
    edited October 2018
    America's Army was never a simulation. Have you played the original? It has nothing of what you say.

AA3 had the faster/slower movement stuff. The original didn't. I'm not against different movement speeds based on your load out, but that doesn't mean you can't make overall player movement faster and more responsive.

The original AA had no visual effects for suppression, no aim punch (maybe there was some aim punch? I can't remember). If you were shot at your CEM dropped which meant your breathing sway increased and possibly your recoil increased and your accuracy decreased (I can't remember).

Larger maps? No thanks. The most popular America's Army maps have always been small to medium sized. All of the larger maps never gained much of a following.

Customization? Sure, no one is saying that customization is a bad thing.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    Yo, Hollywood/Devs, would y'all consider making an AA:PG or America's Army theme for sharefactory? That's the PS4 video editor. Would be cool.
    Some AA Avatars and Themes would be nice as well.

Yes absolutely, never heard of it till just now. I'll go look.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    Awbee wrote: »
    [*] More suppression effectiveness so I can suppress the snipers or a normal enemies

Suicide by words :D
    Grabbing my popcorn.
    AAPG is good!
    Flatlander wrote: »
    [*] More suppression effectiveness so I can suppress the snipers or a normal enemies

Grabbing my popcorn.

I'm not against suppression, I think having heavy visual effects like blurred screen, shaking, and double vision is just ridiculous. If this guy wants to start throwing out real life arguments then what kind of highly trained soldier is going to start shaking and seeing double vision because he's getting shot at? Apparently we're have REEEEEEing soyboys as soldiers in this game. If you want to increase my sway (although with the randomized sway in this game it just makes things more random -> More reason to bring back the AAO style sway), increase my recoil, and increase my hip fire cone, then go ahead. It makes it more difficult for me to fight back, but I can still compensate for it. Visual effects that make it difficult to see and the game moving my crosshair wildly? Awful.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    I'm not a huge fan of small maps, but they make sense in competition. I feel like AA3 maps were inbetween AA2 and AAPG and it was a nice medium. Larger maps make flashes and suppression less effective, if they are here to stay. Just saying...
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    I'm not a huge fan of small maps, but they make sense in competition. I feel like AA3 maps were inbetween AA2 and AAPG and it was a nice medium. Larger maps make flashes and suppression less effective, if they are here to stay. Just saying...

Small like the BDX maps? No. When I think of small I think of McKenna, Weapons Cache, Urban Assault, Insurgent Camp, stuff like that.

Grabbing my popcorn.

- What is suicide dummy lol

I'm not against suppression, I think having heavy visual effects like blurred screen, shaking, and double vision is just ridiculous. If this guy wants to start throwing out real life arguments then what kind of highly trained soldier is going to start shaking and seeing double vision because he's getting shot at? Apparently we're have REEEEEEing soyboys as soldiers in this game. If you want to increase my sway (although with the randomized sway in this game it just makes things more random -> More reason to bring back the AAO style sway), increase my recoil, and increase my hip fire cone, then go ahead. It makes it more difficult for me to fight back, but I can still compensate for it. Visual effects that make it difficult to see and the game moving my crosshair wildly? Awful.

I just wanted to talk about AA:V in realistic way, and as someone said this is an recruitment tool by the Army, so this game should be realistic as the other AA series.

And, you know, I don't want AAV: CSGO. I don't like copying other game's features, and yeah, This game is enough to be a simulation game. (No one except army recorded the M84/M67's explosion/pin sound) Just keep going.
    If you want to increase my sway (although with the randomized sway in this game it just makes things more random -> More reason to bring back the AAO style sway), increase my recoil, and increase my hip fire cone, then go ahead. It makes it more difficult for me to fight back, but I can still compensate for it. Visual effects that make it difficult to see and the game moving my crosshair wildly? Awful.
    Recoil is just fine in this state. everyone can't compensate recoil perfect Because of:
    Basically, every gun except M24 have a high recoil, even if you use a pistol(Randomness recoil when aiming)
    Making the M249 laser is impossible in most of situation unless you're at full health + Supported Position + Tactical Mode.
    Etc.

And yeah, Uf the AA developers ENHANCES the suppression system, then it would be fine

You just threw a nice idea, thanks
    I want to see a Medium map with an open field like Afghanistan.
    I don't want AAV: CSGO.

I'll direct this to you Doba... =) Me neither. Vote NO to proposition AA:GO.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player

Grabbing my popcorn.

I probably just play it too often and too long. I actually just shoot.... And win most of the times but I don't think at all about sway or cone. Blur and the recoil of horror below 25%HP annoys me, too. But somehow I can stand it. I think the lack of good updates, maps, comp support is the reason for the low player base.
    AAPG is good!
    I don't want AA to be CS GO either. I play CS occasionally and it's the good standard for competitive FPS, but I don't enjoy the game too much. That doesn't mean you can't examine the mechanics of the game, understand why they work, why they're successful, and integrate similar ideas into your own game. The main thing to take from CS is that randomness is kept to a minimum, most actions have penalties, and most of those penalties can be overcome with skill that can be learned.
    I've always been of the opinion that competition can evolve around a good game, even if it isn't directly designed that way. Will it always be fairly sided, no, but that is why comp has swap sides, etc. AA3 was a game where competition was fun, but it in no way was designed that way, or certainly didn't seem that way.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    Oh, and because I can't hammer the point home enough regarding sway. Go back to the America's Army version of sway!

Here's some things to consider.

1) The AA version of sway is unique

2) The AA version of sway is predictable and can be learned

3) The AA version of sway can be increased/decreased based on factors such as proximity to teammates or being suppressed and the only thing that changes is the intensity of the sway. Players can adjust their aiming based on this change. When being suppressed, the player would have to fight the increased sway, but they would still have that stop at the top and bottom of the breathing cycle.

4) Looking at the competition. The top two competition FPS games (and non-BR FPS games in general) right now are Counter-Strike and Rainbow 6 Siege. Counter-Strike is not an ADS game. The few weapons that are scoped have no sway. Rainbow 6: Siege is an ADS game. All weapons have no sway. There are currently no high level competitive FPS games which have randomized sway. The AA version of sway is a way that you can include sway in your ADS game which can work in a competitive environment because it is not random!
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited October 2018
    I don't want AAV: CSGO.

I'll direct this to you Doba... =) Me neither. Vote NO to proposition AA:GO.

Did you see his proposed list of features lol.. I think I'll waste my time elsewhere, This game failed becuase it catered to newbs with similar type of suggestions. Lets do that again.. Im all for!

Again, lowering scren shake, suppresssion, aim punch doesnt make the game into CSGO, neither is making the game move quicker so it doesnt feel like quick sand.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw