AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    I agree, sure, but you're also not thinking big enough. We have a lot of new options with the new game engines!

This is why AAPG should be forgotten and the focus should be on the new version. If they make all these changes in AAPG and then somehow magically replicate that in a new engine with different feel and options, what's the point. They could fix it up like 3 people here would like and then bam 5 new "disabling" features are added. Now you don't like how AAPG style works with the new stuff. AAPG is a waist of time in terms of a new game.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    I do wonder how a map like dust2 if it were the exact same size would work in AAPG. I timed it on dust 2, going straight down the CT middle takes about 15 seconds. Going around short A through the tunnels and around takes more like 20-25 seconds. I did a similar test in Mirage and the timings were similar. This was with the knife out.

The only other option would be to increase the bomb timer for larger maps to something like 45 or 50 seconds. Which, I know AA has had plenty of larger maps, so it could be worthwhile to do if needed.

I know that's why Redline C4 could never be used competitively. It's basically a 30 second minimum full sprint to the top bomb site if you're on the train level. And there's a ton of places some random enemy could be sitting.

Also, since this happened while playing today, here's another video each demonstrating suppression/aim punch and OP flashes:

Note how long it took for the effect to finally go away.

Looks fine to me.

You were suppressed and nearly killed in the first vid, and in the second vid you got hit with a good flash. Flashbang effects last a pretty long time on PS4 as well.

You're a lost cause.

Whiplash highlighted how bad the current aim punch and suppression effects are in his screenshot from that video. There's no reason to reduce gunfights to who can get the luckiest.

That was a terrible flash. I could have easily gotten away, but I was trying to make the aggressive play. I had all day to see it and turn away from it, but the game rewarded his poor play and punished my play instead.

Oh please, that screen shot is meaningless as the screen only looks like that for a fraction of a second and when you're taking damage. I could find the same image in my vid if I were to screenshot when I was getting shot at. In most cases you barely notice it.

And the flash was solid. The enemy anticipated your whereabouts and threw a flash which actually landed at the entrance of the stairwell you were standing in. The only thing I see "poor" about his play was the fact that he didn't try and gun you down, which is the only reason why you managed to kill him (or his buddy).

Thanks for reinforcing my point. If he had anticipated my whereabouts and was trying to blind me, he would have pushed it.

It was a terrible flash if his intent was to blind me. Period. I had all day to see it and turn away from it. A good flash would have been cooked so I couldn't turn away in time. Yes, I should be dead. No, I shouldn't be blind for anything more than a brief white screen effect. I'm talking fractions of a second. You can cook flashes in this game. Make people throw good ones to blind enemies.

In this case, he may have thrown the flash to "block" the stairs so he could bandage or revive up there. That's a good use of a flash and accomplished the goal, if that's in fact why he threw it. It shouldn't have blinded me though.

You're right. One frame doesn't tell the whole story. That doesn't change the fact that the effects demonstrated in that video REMOVE skill from engagements.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited October 2018
    I agree, sure, but you're also not thinking big enough. We have a lot of new options with the new game engines!

This is why AAPG should be forgotten and the focus should be on the new version. If they make all these changes in AAPG and then somehow magically replicate that in a new engine with different feel and options, what's the point. They could fix it up like 3 people here would like and then bam 5 new "disabling" features are added. Now you don't like how AAPG style works with the new stuff. AAPG is a waist of time in terms of a new game.

Sure, but I would like to play AAPG until AA5 comes out, at least until something better comes along to drag my attention away for a while. PUBG is played out and there's really nothing else out there that's good right now. CoD may be decent, but it'll probably be another few month and get bored game if I even decide to get it. Most of these games these days don't have much staying power.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    Try Insurgency Sandstorm. =)
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    Try Insurgency Sandstorm. =)

I heard the beta was awful in terms of optimization. I have an older computer, so I'm skeptical on if I'll be able to run it.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    PUBG is played out

why is that? never played it but the hype seems big, why is it dying so fast, its good to learn from mistakes as hopefully thats what were doing here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    edited October 2018
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    PUBG is played out

why is that? never played it but the hype seems big, why is it dying so fast, its good to learn from mistakes as hopefully thats what were doing here

The hype was insane, instead the game has dropped 2/3 of its player base in the span of 9 months.

I got bored of BR to begin with, but the game also has awful hit reg and netcode, worse than AAPG ever had. Optimization is pretty awful. Tons and tons of bugs that never get fixed. Lots of cheaters that never/poorly got addressed. People asking for ping/region locks in order to curb cheaters from China, to no avail. Also too much focus on putting out paid crates rather than making the game better. Their stupid stunt of trying to sue Epic didn't help their cause.

A lot of the top streamers (including Shroud) have given up on the game and the ones that are left are waiting for CoD's blackout to move on.

I think in general people are willing to give games that are still in development and putting out new content some leeway to try to improve the game, but after a while they get tired of waiting for the game to reach its full potential and move on. Similar things occurred with this community.

This video sums up a lot of the issues:

and another
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    edited October 2018
    Anything that runs on UE4 has bad performance as it cant handle multi core CPU's.
    UE4 is still heavily limited to high IPC, High GHZ single core.
    UE4 is like the old Unity Engine of the game dev world. Because its "simple and easy", there is so much unoptimised shovelware out in the market now.
    Soon as I see a game says its running on UE4, I don't buy it because I know the performance will be trash.
    1.jpg
    edited October 2018
    Anything that runs on UE4 has bad performance as it cant handle multi core CPU's.
    UE4 is still heavily limited to high IPC, High GHZ single core.
    UE4 is like the old Unity Engine of the game dev world. Because its "simple and easy", there is so much unoptimised shovelware out in the market now.
    Soon as I see a game says its running on UE4, I don't buy it because I know the performance will be trash.

You sure about this? Everything I'm reading says that UE4 has multicore support as a standard.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    You sure about this? Everything I'm reading says that UE4 has multicore support as a standard.

The engine itself is primarily single threaded.
    1.jpg
    Here's a good one today to show flashbangs. I was still able to kill the guy because I got lucky that he didn't follow up his flash.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    Here's a good one today to show flashbangs. I was still able to kill the guy because I got lucky that he didn't follow up his flash.

It was dark, flash was close... Anyway, what do you expect the flash to behave!? I know, you don't like and Yada Yada, but what should happen when you get flashed?
    AAPG is good!
    edited October 2018
    Considering my face was against the wall (meaning the flash was behind me) and I was on the floor below the flash, I shouldn't have been blinded for 4 seconds. That's crazy.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    The flash wasn't above you. The effect wouldnt be so harsh if it exploded the floor above.
    AAPG is good!
    Flatlander wrote: »
    The flash wasn't above you. The effect wouldnt be so harsh if it exploded the floor above.

It was still a bad flash, but the game rewards such things.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Ya its a good example of Flash avoidance to be honest, it kind of looks like the flash bounced up top and possibly fell lower behind you. Still you did well to avoid it and shouldnt have been flashed that long. The effects on that sort of play should be similar to what the guy in the CSGO video was showing you.

The proper way to throw that flash would have been a pop flash through the door that explodes mid air not giving you the time to run forward and avoid the flash.

Here lies the difference between newb flashes and skill flashes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    edited October 2018

I'm tired of this "bad flash"/good flash nonsense. A flash is a flash, If its within proximity to you should be flashed.
    Looking further at the "bad flash" argument, after testing I've determined that distance as well as what direction you face, determine the effects of a flash-bang. Meaning that flash-bangs are already skill based.

Flashes at choking range (+ an additional 1-2feet) will always blind you (with full effect) regardless of where you're looking, unless you're behind a wall or solid structure.
    If you look directly at a flash, or if the front of your body is facing a flash, the effects will last much longer
    Past a certain range the flash grenade is in-effective.
    Looking in the opposite direction of a flash or perpendicular to the flash (left/right) will decrease the effects of a flash, and if far enough, will prevent you from being flashed. Unless the flash is very close to you as previously mentioned.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    Yo, Hollywood/Devs, would y'all consider making an AA:PG or America's Army theme for sharefactory? That's the PS4 video editor. Would be cool.
    Some AA Avatars and Themes would be nice as well.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
    edited October 2018
    It's a bad flash for multiple reasons.
    1. Player throws flash because they hear someone, but doesn't aim it or try to time it well. It's a blind throw into a tight space knowing there's a high chance of blinding the enemy since they have nowhere to go. At best, it's a defensive flash in order to buy some time to hold off the attacker while they get into a better position.
    2. The enemy has enough time to react by running or turning away. I had enough time to not only turn, but to sprint to a wall. Here, even though the flash gave me ample time to react, I have zero ability to avoid it because the game will reward him no matter what I did.
    3. If the flash did fall down to the lower level, the only reason why the player was rewarded with the flash was the sheer luck of the flash falling, not because the player intended it to fall like that (also shown by the fact that he didn't even try to finish me off when I was blinded).

An essential problem with flashes the way they are is that you can just chuck them at anyone and especially in tight quarters you'll be rewarded. In fact to have fun yesterday I decided to just take 4 flashes with me and I just throw them at everyone now. Holding down a corner? Have a flash. Behind a box? Have a flash. Behind a hill? Have a flash.

I'm tired of this "bad flash"/good flash nonsense. A flash is a flash, If its within proximity to you should be flashed.
    Looking further at the "bad flash" argument, after testing I've determined that distance as well as what direction you face, determine the effects of a flash-bang. Meaning that flash-bangs are already skill based.

Flashes at choking range (+ an additional 1-2feet) will always blind you (with full effect) regardless of where you're looking, unless you're behind a wall or solid structure.
    If you look directly at a flash, or if the front of your body is facing a flash, the effects will last much longer
    Past a certain range the flash grenade is in-effective.
    Looking in the opposite direction of a flash or perpendicular to the flash (left/right) will decrease the effects of a flash, and if far enough, will prevent you from being flashed. Unless the flash is very close to you as previously mentioned.

Unless, things have changed, the flash not being in your line of sight means something like a 50% increase to the distance you are from it if you'd been facing it. So being four meters from a flash you're not looking at is like looking at a flash six meters away.

That's not good enough, for reasons that have been repeatedly stated. Whiplash's post from earlier this morning is another good one.