AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    edited September 2018
    I understand the reality of what they are dealing with, but IMO - AAPG should be left and forgotten. Any real outlook for the AA series is in a new version. Once people catch wind that a game has a certain end of life relatively soon, it's going to be all but forgotten.

Use AAPG as a base to develop features on - as someone with a programming background, I don't think that is a likely reality on a new platform with a new direction, as many are suggesting. Sure you can pull some code over and modify it, but if it is to truly be a new platform, the base code of this game cannot be reliable in a new platform. If it's simply going to be a AAPG 2.0, then this is a whole different story.

Leave no man behind....

No need to abandon the game just yet or in the near future.

The game should be developed and updated until just a few months before the release of AA:5. Otherwise people may forget about the AA series entirely and initial player counts might not be high for AA5.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    The game should be developed and updated until just a few months before the release of AA:5. Otherwise people may forget about the AA series entirely and initial player counts might not be high for AA5

If it happens like that AA5 will suffer. If the AA team is as small and limited as we are lead to believe, they will not be able to deliver a solid AA5. That is unless the updates for AAPG are reduced to a bare minimum.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    The game should be developed and updated until just a few months before the release of AA:5. Otherwise people may forget about the AA series entirely and initial player counts might not be high for AA5

If it happens like that AA5 will suffer. If the AA team is as small and limited as we are lead to believe, they will not be able to deliver a solid AA5. That is unless the updates for AAPG are reduced to a bare minimum.

Thank you for your concern but we would be staffing up.
    👍
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited September 2018
    Use AAPG as a base to develop features on - as someone with a programming background, I don't think that is a likely reality on a new platform with a new direction, as many are suggesting. Sure you can pull some code over and modify it, but if it is to truly be a new platform, the base code of this game cannot be reliable in a new platform. If it's simply going to be a AAPG 2.0, then this is a whole different story.

I'm less of the mind of developing features on AAPG and more using it to tweak gameplay style. Take the current game and adjust movement speed, suppression, action speed, breathing, recoil, etc. Play around with it with everything, leave nothing untouched until you get it just right. Obviously even then there would be future adjustments with AA5, but you can at least figure out where you want to be.

Just about all of these things can be adjusted through settings files I assume. Sure, it may not be exactly the same, but you can easily emulate a feeling vs. trying to figure it out from scratch and then having to constantly tweak it when the time comes for AA5.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    We don't know the answer to this, but what then was taken from previous versions and emulated in AAPG? If your concept is true and that happened from AA2/3 to AAPG, then emulating is not something they are good at or a lot of this thread wouldn't exist.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 272Player
    If it's simply going to be a AAPG 2.0, then this is a whole different story.
    +1,000 !

AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited September 2018
    We don't know the answer to this, but what then was taken from previous versions and emulated in AAPG? If your concept is true and that happened from AA2/3 to AAPG, then emulating is not something they are good at or a lot of this thread wouldn't exist.

Well, that's the thing, they never did that with the AAPG (or AA3 really for that matter). I'm hoping they've learned their lesson. Either way, the best thing to do is fire up AA2.3 or even 1.9 for that matter (AA2.5 is easily available, but not the best version of the original AA) and emulate that game.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

lol, looks like Dev team will be getting reinforcements.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

Well, that's the thing, they never did that with the AAPG (or AA3 really for that matter). I'm hoping they've learned their lesson. Either way, the best thing to do is fire up AA2.3 or even 1.9 for that matter (AA2.5 is easily available, but not the best version of the original AA) and emulate that game.

I remember 2.3 as the best version I played. I believe 2.4 was the one that broke the game to the point that TWL locked the main ladders and made temporary 2.4 ladders.
    A dev (tots maybe?) made the statement a long time ago that AAPG plays like AA2 and certain systems were refined to match that. If that's the case....
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Doesn't have to play like AA2, just make sure its not sluggish

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    If it's simply going to be a AAPG 2.0

No more cardboard cutouts painted in crayons or harry potter castles maps, please god just no!
    1.jpg
  • A dev (tots maybe?) made the statement a long time ago that AAPG plays like AA2 and certain systems were refined to match that. If that's the case....

Did he uh, I don't see or feel anything that would remind me of AA2.
  • CoverluxCoverlux Posts: 26Player
    edited September 2018

No more cardboard cutouts painted in crayons or harry potter castles maps, please god just no!

LOL...exactly how I feel about the atmosphere in PG. I mainly played AA3 and I have to say: the atmosphere in AA3 was great. It felt harsh and cold to me (the colors, player models, the atmospheric sounds, cracking bones, being able to take out incaps by mistake and intentionally etc., walking slow when legs are hurt)...more like I imagine what it is like to be in combat. PG on the other hand...felt more like a game to me.
    Coverlux wrote: »

LOL...exactly how I feel about the atmosphere in PG. I mainly played AA3 and I have to say: the atmosphere in AA3 was great. It felt harsh and cold to me (the colors, player models, the atmospheric sounds, cracking bones, being able to take out incaps by mistake and intentionally etc.)...more like I imagine what it is like to be in combat. PG on the other hand...felt more like a game to me.

Meh... There aren't many visual effects in AA:PG to give it that sense of realism... I think I've seen better looks in a roblox game than AA:PG, and that's sad.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
    LOL...exactly how I feel about the atmosphere in PG. I mainly played AA3 and I have to say: the atmosphere in AA3 was great. It felt harsh and cold to me (the colors, player models, the atmospheric sounds, cracking bones, being able to take out incaps by mistake and intentionally etc., walking slow when legs are hurt)...more like I imagine what it is like to be in combat. PG on the other hand...felt more like a game to me.

AA3 was oddly favoring dull or dark blue/gray tones in just about all maps. That may be the darkness you're referring to.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • CoverluxCoverlux Posts: 26Player
    I just hope that the current devs will go with more authenticity in the next AA - like the devs did in AA3. I think AA3 had potential, but there were too many bugs and from what I understand most of the devs weren't on the team anymore after AA3 got released to the public.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    I just hope that the current devs will go with more authenticity in the next AA - like the devs did in AA3. I think AA3 had potential, but there were too many bugs and from what I understand most of the devs weren't on the team anymore after AA3 got released to the public.

I hope they'll strike a decent balance and make a good GAME, because ultimately it is a game. There are things that are realistic, but don't make for great gameplay. For example, in the context of the map sizes in AAPG especially, we don't need frag grenades to share the same radius as their real life counterparts. A flashbang going off behind someone may still blind them in real life, but that doesn't make for skillful gameplay.

It's important that the developers, whenever the game is made, strike a good balance. I don't think anyone's looking for anything ridiculously arcade, but they don't need to make a simulator either.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    edited September 2018
    My understanding is that moving AA5 to UE4 will give the developers a lot of simple "point and click" tools allowing them to create or customise things with relatively ease and haste (compared to UE3).
    Not to mention the dynamic interoperability as UE4 already natively support PC/Linux/Mac/Xbox and Playstation platforms.
    Once the AA5 ball is rolling, it will come together very quickly I think.
    1.jpg