New Mapping Contest?

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I kind of have to ask why? with an avg. Of around 300 players monthly, whats the point? Why keep spending time and resources here?

If its because of PS4 then PS4 is the worst thing that could have happened and PS4 shouldnt take priority. PC is where this game has history since 2002 and success. Tell me youre not giving that up for the little success its having.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,108Player
    edited September 2018
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    I kind of have to ask why? with an avg. Of around 300 players monthly, whats the point? Why keep spending time and resources here?

If its because of PS4 then PS4 is the worst thing that could have happened and PS4 shouldnt take priority. PC is where this game has history since 2002 and success. Tell me youre not giving that up for the little success its having.

I figure, if we as a community can somehow make some legit great maps, they could always be included in the next game. I tend to think of a game like counter-strike, take just about any of their most popular maps and they were all originally designed by the community, not by Valve. Go down the list.

People always complain about the maps in this game. Well, let's spend some time to create some great maps if we get the buy in from the Dev team that they'll include them in the next game if they are of a quality deserving to be as such. One of AAPG's big downfalls was that Inner Hospital was the only map that people liked. I know you can't just quickly port a map from UE3 to UE4, but the main point is to have the layout and design for the map. The Devs can then remake them however they want as long as they keep the gameplay similar.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    You're right, if that's primarily the main purpose then all the power. Issue im seeing is having enough people to even test the maps to see if theyre any good.

You can test for a level of fun, like Keebler had playing it. However...
    Testing how maps truly play takes skilled players, which are now hard to come by in this game. Some may take this negatively but im not wrong.
    Take a look at csgo, some players can spend thousands of hrs playing but cant rank higher than gold nova, a pretty entry rank.
    Sure theyre playing the game, but one doesnt really start learning how both the game is truly played or how the maps are played till a much higher rank.
    Its a different gaming mentality.

edited September 2018
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    You're right, if that's primarily the main purpose then all the power. Issue im seeing is having enough people to even test the maps to see if theyre any good.

You can test for a level of fun, like Keebler had playing it. However...
    Testing how maps truly play takes skilled players, which are now hard to come by in this game. Some may take this negatively but im not wrong.
    Take a look at csgo, some players can spend thousands of hrs playing but cant rank higher than gold nova, a pretty entry rank.
    Sure theyre playing the game, but one doesnt really start learning how both the game is truly played or how the maps are played till a much higher rank.
    Its a different gaming mentality.

True enough, although we gotta start somewhere. I don't think any of the CS beta maps that are still around today were designed with extensive testing by comp players, yet here we are with maps like Nuke, Train, Cobble still around from beta and a few others very the earliest days of CS retail (dust2, inferno, etc)
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 668Player
    The past winning maps that become official are terrible.
    doogle! wrote: »

Some are decent for pub play, but yeah, certainly not memorable maps. There were a few maps that I thought were better that didn't get picked in a couple of the contests. As I said I hope that if they do another contest, that the devs take care to pick maps that play well rather than are just "fun" or look good. Quite honestly, they need to pick comp type maps that can be played well in both 12v12 and 5v5 settings. I know some people may not like a comp focus, but I've honestly never played a "comp" map that wasn't super fun in pub play. Why? because they're usually incredibly well balanced and provide great gameplay.
    doogle! wrote: »

True, but so were the regular official maps, taking a 3 minute look at Whips map here i tell it will play better than most current bdx maps. So maybe it doesn't need a lot of testing, winning by default lol

• aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm bringing all that stuff back. Weapon skins contests too. Let's be a community again!

So, any ETA of when this might occur?

No not really lol. Patch this week, new weapons, and then we can think about it. Weapon skins, maps, whatever.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 319Player
    edited September 2018
    Springstreet, Hospital, and both of the new maps are popular. The small bomb map (can't remember the name) is also pretty nice, and well-liked.

Actually... most of maps are voted for except the sandstorm map and the forest map. The map in the underground base isn't as bad.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
    edited September 2018
    Springstreet, Hospital, and both of the new maps are popular. The small bomb map (can't remember the name) is also pretty nice, and well-liked.

Actually... most of maps are voted for except the sandstorm map and the forest map. The map in the underground base isn't as bad.

At least you have some variety then on the PS4 side. On PC it's literally Inner Hospital and you're lucky if you get anything else unless you go on a custom map server. It was even that way when the game when the game was peaking near 1k players.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 319Player

At least you have some variety then on the PS4 side. On PC it's literally Inner Hospital and you're lucky if you get anything else unless you go on a custom map server. It was even that way when the game when the game was peaking near 1k players.

I take it that you guys don't vote from a choice of three maps including the one that was last played, or have the option to vote at all then?.
    Yeah I'm bringing all that stuff back. Weapon skins contests too. Let's be a community again!

So, any ETA of when this might occur?

No not really lol. Patch this week, new weapons, and then we can think about it. Weapon skins, maps, whatever.

So we're going to have a new update this week? Nice
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
    edited September 2018
    I take it that you guys don't vote from a choice of three maps including the one that was last played, or have the option to vote at all then?.

It exists, but many servers are setup for Inner only. Those are usually the ones that get populated. Other times, servers clear out when a map other than inner comes on.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    So we're going to have a new update this week? Nice

Yeah, and I'm probably going to leverage social media for polls and such on what maps etc.
  • SiNsOfThEDeViLSiNsOfThEDeViL Posts: 106Player
    edited October 2018

[mod edit] yea! :hurrah:

Whatever you do, you cannot outrun the devil.

Steam
    Any chance that we can kick off this contest soon? Doesn't take much to just get the contest going since it's all on the mappers to do the work anyway.

Just do it something like this:

10/15 - Kick off contest
    11/5 - Deadline for initial submissions
    11/6 to 11/21 - Official servers in each region will play the submitted maps. Feedback will be given on the forums by Devs & players. During this time players cannot publish any updates to their map.
    11/30 - Deadline #2 for updates with any changes
    12/3 to 12/10- Updated maps are again put onto the official servers. During this time players cannot publish any updates to their map.
    12/11 - Finalists are chosen, mappers are given a chance to make any final updates
    12/20 - Winners are chosen

Also, some thoughts on the process.
    1) Developers should give feedback on what they liked/dislike about each map and what would make them more likely to be chosen as the winner during both the first and second play period.

2) Maps should be chosen first and foremost based on the layout. A map that's more complete should be appreciated, but honestly there are few mappers out there who are going to be able to create artwork and such to the level of the developers. Map layout and gameplay is the most important aspect and is much more difficult to hit the money on vs. theme and art design.

3) Each mapper should be limited to two submissions unless there's so little interest that you get like 6 submissions in total or something. An exception can be to mappers who create separate versions for different objective types for the the same map, for example one version is C4 and another VIP.

4) Prior America's Army maps should be excluded even if they are completely re-skinned. Those should be remade separately.

5) Objectives Types. Objectives should be designed to prevent teams in a competitive environment from just stacking one spot. In pubs obviously people will roam wherever they will and objective placement isn't as important. As such, allowable objective types should be:
    a) C4 -> Requires two bomb sites. Players should be able to run from site to site within a reasonable period of time.
    b) Take and hold -> There should be 3 objectives (like MOUT McKenna) in that taking two allows for victory. Urban assault style (taking 2 of 2) can allow for stalemates too easily.
    c) Objective activation -> Either pipeline style or insurgent camp style, meaning take 1 of 2 objectives to win or take a series of objectives or one overriding objective to win. Taking 2 of 2 or 3 of 3 allows defenders to stack a single objective. Again, here the objectives shouldn't be too far apart. Pipeline style should have at least one objective somewhat close to the override objective so that defenders aren't spread too thin.
    d) If you really want VIP and capture the flag type game modes, feel free, I just don't think they create the best/most balanced gameplay.
  • SeVn.MaxSeVn.Max Posts: 231Player
    There are many meshes in the editor that have problems (easily solved). It should be ordered in the content browser!
    edited October 2018
    SeVn.Max wrote: »
    There are many meshes in the editor that have problems (easily solved). It should be ordered in the content browser!

It would also be great if there was an easier way to load all of the content in the editor. Doing a full load destroys my computer and guarantees a crash of the editor due to using all of my video memory. I typically try to load the different packages individually if I have an idea of what I'm looking for and where it may be, but sometimes it's hard when you're not 100% sure what you actually want or if what you're looking for is buried in a package that's based on a map name.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,185Player
    As much as it would help identifying things you want to use moving them around would cause missing asset references/problems to the hundreds of maps already in the workshop.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

As much as it would help identifying things you want to use moving them around would cause missing asset references/problems to the hundreds of maps already in the workshop.

Yeah, I think the old way it could work is if someone would put together some sort of master wiki page that has all of the assets and the package that they're in.
  • SeVn.MaxSeVn.Max Posts: 231Player
    There are some of the new meches under the category "archNEUT" and the "Electronics" that must be corrected, not eliminated :) (collision, texture). I wanted to ask the Dev if something was changed at the time of publication, after the patch (insurgent / sandstorm), i have to do 2 or more publications, it seems like it was difficult to insert the umap file in the workshop. If I have to do an update, the map is 100MB, steam upload is 7.2 Mb or 3.9 mb, whereas before it was recharged entirely without errors.
    Maybe i'm wrong, obviously, but the feeling is that UDK and Steam does not communicate as well as before