Sound carry/noise vs fairness

Comments

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 706Player
    H.E.A.T. wrote: »
    im dizzy come on DEV are this ps4 or pc??i see the ps4 text but why when i click at the text then i m be in ps4??update this so we other can get off at this ps4.)thanks you

Buddy, you arrived at this thread by either:

1) Navigating to the PS4 section of the forums

2) Clicked it because it was shown as a "Latest Discussion"

Hope that helps
  • Fool_InjectedFool_Injected Posts: 9Player
    There is a tactical mode to keep your footsteps quiet on PS4. You just don't move your thumbstick as far... Coming from a PS4 player and a long time PC player (aa2) the footsteps on PC are much louder. Frankly if your kdr is less than 2.0 on PS4 then you need to get more of this "skill" that people keep talking about. I used to play aa on PS4 seriously and now I just run around and try to choke people then sing tiny dancer while I do it... It's the only thing that's fun for me anymore...I have no life...
  • ThePrince.DThePrince.D Posts: 6Player
    While agree that the footsteps could be a little bit quieter, I think its more of combining the sounds with good map knowledge + "skill" that allows player with more experience to dominate. You don't need a "superhuman headset" to hear and know which direction enemies are coming from. I use $10 earbuds and I can easily tell exactly where an enemy is when they're moving a lot. It's not because I have the best $10 headphones on the market, it's because I know which buildings/rooms near me have wood floors, metal stairs, water puddles, etc, aka Map Knowledge. Combine that with a lil bit of skill and you can be like me with a 3.91 kdr
  • Sibelis2Sibelis2 Posts: 34Player
    kdr is a statistic, statistic's are easy to manipulate. If I wanted a huge KDR I'd not fight hard battles, I'd kill lobbies of noobs, i'd let them revive their homies so I could kill them again, I'd not worry about the end game victory but my own selfish need to kill and look good(ya know, cause it's not like it's a tactical team game)or even better make a new profile using the skills gathered after learning the game and the levels for nigh on a year. I mean, it's not as though this whole kdr thing is a point of ego people like to flaunt and brag on, right?
    You'd feel differently about your ten dollar headset if ya realized what your missing on sound, what they're not missing.
    Yes kdr is a statistic... So is win/loss ratio... And I have found when someone's kdr is low so is their wlr, and the other way around. Which means the statistics correlate with each other... Which validates both statistics to a degree...I can make a chart if that will help.

The PS4 version of this game cannot be taken seriously until private lobbies are implemented. Even with the sound reduced it would not change a whole lot. I think the enemies showing up on the minimap is more of a problem for me. I shouldn't be able to know where a sniper is when he shoots from across the map. But it's in the game and that's how I hunt... Good hunting to all...
    Or they don't and ergo invalidate your Crayola made chart. Which still says diddly for if they stayed with their team or just abandoned them and hid in the back to get kills, or if they've been manipulating their gameplay to control the values. In fact the correlation between ratio's is entirely non germaine to the point made previously about how little value I place in it. Especially when I see private's running in packs that are obviously experienced players under new gamer tags/clan names.
    I can better explain how the connection between the wlr and kdr are both statistics and ergo both suspect together, if necessary.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Yes kdr is a statistic... So is win/loss ratio... And I have found when someone's kdr is low so is their wlr, and the other way around. Which means the statistics correlate with each other... Which validates both statistics to a degree...I can make a chart if that will help.

Correlation? So you're saying a person farming newbs wins more???

Wow! That's impressive 'validation.'

Can you draw me a chart to explain why the BEST players, playing against other BEST players, will have a KDR nearer to 1:1 AGAINST EQUALS? I could give you a theory...it's not even math-intensive...

I admit I watch my KDR to ensure I'm 'giving as good as I get.' The higher I get above 1:1 the more I know that there are factors making the playing field uneven - ping, sound, hardware, time played, language barriers, etc. The ultimate gameplay is to hover near 1:1 against your opponents and struggle to win.

A lopsided rout is only satisfying to a certain type of person....
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Ok ok I give. All statistics are useless and easily manipulated and are therefore invalid. As I have already said I don't take PS4 seriously until we can get private lobbies. I play to have fun not necessarily to win the match. I do have fun against equals and the new matchmaking is improving that (thanks devs). I have seen many high ranking players and some of them know what their doing.

Trying to get back to the op issue of sound. If you use tactical mode the sound won't carry as much. The new players just need more experience and someone to help/teach them. I really to do that when I get asked questions. I'm not always a complete a-hole when I'm gaming. I will just leave it at that.
    IMO the problem is sound radius. Presently, if you can't hear a sound, you just amplify it more. I have found the difference between what I hear, and others, is how much they are willing to affect their long term hearing, and that's just not the way it ought to be.

With a different game engine, I'd like to see specific sound radii for each sound and it totally disappears outside that radius, no matter how much you crank the volume.

Also, I'd like sound classes similar to the weapon penetration clesses that affect the materials or meshes in a map so that a gun shot can be heard quite far, but 'battle rattle' or tatical footstep can't be heard AT ALL through a wall, instead of just occluded or obstructed.

Not only would it be quite realistic, but it would save peoples ears AND level the playing field.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • DrawnDrawn Posts: 169Player
    edited April 2018
    I thought sound would dissapear after certain metres. The told said so,someday.. maybe i can look it up.
    Edit
    I thought it was less vague
    https://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/6237/sound-hack-or-super-sound-card-and-headphones/p1

Last post.
    "How far you can hear things are pretty set in stone on our end."
    Not a very conclusive post on the matter. Tots isn't Soundy. The distance for reload and footsteps seems to be almost the same as for gunshots. (which, by the way, have close, medium and far gun sounds, unlike footsteps, which sound the same, minus some volume, no matter how far)

There may be game engine, or development limits, but it's still an issue.

We went to the Wwise sound engine instead of the built-in Unreal sound setup. Not sure how it compares, feature-wise.
    ______

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,045Moderator
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    There may be game engine, or development limits, but it's still an issue.
    Its all MS fault, sound was good until they decides that the software API from x-box was good enough for pc gaming also.

ss_4_frankof.png
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,080Player
    Imo official maps do not have enough sound occlusion or obstruction applied to buildings walls etc. To make them sound realistic .
    If you take the checkout map ( official one ) go throw a nade and hide behind a wall its virtually the same volume.
    Then see my comp checkout throw a nade in that map and hide behind a wall.sound is muffled . Although the first week of players using my converted map said it was strange they then became more able to pinpoint where things were happening whether they had expensive or not headsets.
  • DLD_MtBDLD_MtB Posts: 24Player
    I stopped reading after "America's Army is a training tool."
    DLD_MtB wrote: »
    I stopped reading after "America's Army is a training tool."
    Too hard a concept to wrap your head around, that? I mean it's pretty straight forward on it's surface and that doesn't even get into the psychology of killing with impersonal methods or the sporting, fair play nature of those whom studies show do it best.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Just for the record, we're not a training tool. AA is just an outreach tool, no different than a commercial you'd see on TV. While we try to have some elements of realism, we're not a sim or trainer.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

Based upon my own research through the history of psychology and how it came into mainstream power from WW1 and 2 clergy being insufficient in maintaining troop moral, I'd disagree. It may not be an intentional aspect and I'm not talking about live combat skills, but the mindset of those found to be the best at killing with the least distress to the psyche. Perhaps my own perspective plays a role in what I myself pick up, the [TOS Violation] for tat chess game of outwitting a live opponent seeking your termination.. but I've long thought the studies done in previous wars greatly influenced the formation of war 'games'(games being stressed) and the subsequent backing of digital games like COD.
    You actually kill people?!
    ______

Keebler750 wrote: »
    You actually kill people?!
    Something that non-linear doesn't even deserve an answer, reword the question if your trying for actual information pertaining to 'sporting' psychology or how my knowledge of it would color my intentional perspective when playing such games.
    Let's take one thought at a time. Please explain your phrase "something that non-linear..."

Within which continuum of linear ideation does the present context become extant?
    ______

This discussion has been closed.