What type of map of would you like to see?

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    The question becomes why go for a knockoff when you can have the real thing?

Games like CoD and BF are affordable products. $60 for a video game (less if you find it on sale) is not going to break the bank. Video games (especially multiplayer) are probably the most affordable form of entertainment when you look at it from a time vs. money perspective.

So most people aren't going to bother with a free version of something that's already affordable. Therefore, AA needs to carve a niche out. One that it already was in, but decided wasn't worthwhile.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • super6-1super6-1 Posts: 100Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

Games like CoD and BF are affordable products. $60 for a video game (less if you find it on sale) is not going to break the bank. Video games (especially multiplayer) are probably the most affordable form of entertainment when you look at it from a time vs. money perspective.

So most people aren't going to bother with a free version of something that's already affordable. Therefore, AA needs to carve a niche out. One that it already was in, but decided wasn't worthwhile.

Truth. I bought one of the above mentioned titles because 1, it was on a great sale, and 2, AA:PG honestly wasn't cutting it. Not that AA is all play, but it's a lot of it. I'm not advertising, I'm just illustrating your point. I play AA less because I found a game that knows what it's supposed to be and is honestly more fun. Like a lot of others, I'd still totally be playing AA2/3 if there was still the playerbase and support for it.
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    edited May 2015
    Jeez moses you guys are brutal.
    -
    tl;dr because only two people in this topic know anything about map design.
    -
    I endorse most of what shfifty says. Again its just useless asking the general public questions like this. Most of you can't separate what you like and what makes a good game. For example, i HATE inner hospital with a passion YET i agree its one of the best maps in the game. Learn.
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    edited May 2015
    Shifty, before you quote me ,please read the post.
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

I agree with what your saying exactly.
    AA2 carved out a perfect niche IMO but it doesn't mean changes can't be made to the original.
    I can see alot of potential in AA:PG but I'm sure the devs don't want to make a knock off either.
    As I said, I want a tactical shooter with open sandbox maps and a challenge even after I've played for years.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    i read your post.
    -
    quoting you was not directed at you personally. it was clarification that should be said because there are others around here that believe literally what you wrote. and that is false.

• =[101st]=Wolverine=[101st]=Wolverine Posts: 1,169Beta Tester
    Excellent post .shhfiftyfive-! :+1:
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    somehow some people seem to continuously argue there's only sim vs arcade, and totally miss what sits in the middle.
    Exactly. I've been saying this for 2 years but nobody seems to care, they just want to argue about it.

It's just about gameplay preferences and alot of them meet halfway realism to arcade. Putting it in the context of realism vs arcade only riles people up.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    So you're saying you can't have fun without moving at 100% speed at all times?
    AAPG brings nothing different or unique to the table. People will play COD/BF/CS, etc. as opposed to AAPG. They've been doing it for years and are successful at making fast action shooters. For AAPG to be successful in this market they have to create an army experience. AAPG isn't a army experience. It's a run of the mill fast paced shooter that has no chance against the aforementioned titles.
  • JohnShatterJohnShatter Posts: 5Player
    Perhaps something in Northern Arizona, with snow and deer, some game for target practice... Er, maybe not... We do have some interesting geography there, though.
    First of all let's clear the air. You need to put the label you've given me aside, stop addressing me as an individual in each response, and address my comments.

If you don't think it's like COD or BF at ALL, then you've never played those games. There are numerous similarities.

There is plenty in this topic covering the similarities that you say do not exist:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/2n9m86/i_just_played_americas_army_proving_groundsand_im/
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    AAPG brings nothing different or unique to the table. People will play COD/BF/CS, etc. as opposed to AAPG. They've been doing it for years and are successful at making fast action shooters. For AAPG to be successful in this market they have to create an army experience. AAPG isn't a army experience. It's a run of the mill fast paced shooter that has no chance against the aforementioned titles.

Actually I'd say there is millions and millions of people sick of COD's direction (Futuristic bs). Most would love to see them go back to a world war 2 or just current gen game. Battlefield: A lot of people feel as if battlefield 4 is just a clone of BF3 but worse. I'd say they prolly ported BF4 to PC. CS I cannot comment on since I have rarely played it. Now attracting players from these games they are sick of is not a bad idea at all. So as long as they are not 100% clones of these above games people would leave these series for this game potentially. If AAPG stays going down a good path and gets some solid optimization and major gameplay mechanic issues sorted out. (Like supported fire, Suppression Effect from nades/flashes etc through walls, Solid Map design, A M14 having 20/21 Bullets can spam a way for what seems like forever, and I am sure there is much more solid issues that could cause people to not like this game.)
    True, but the AAPG isn't going to get support of MLG or any high level E-Sports marketing campaigns. The marketing of those games are what drive the popularity. What will be the catch of AAPG that says play me over the leaders of FPS?
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    edited May 2015
    Shhfifty wrote a great comment about the potential audience for AAPG on the previous page.

The point being, there is an audience for a somewhat slower game that isn't a sim like ARMA. They just don't know it yet because they haven't experienced it yet.

AAPG needs to try and tap into that potential or the game will remain in the shadows forever. For that potential audience, this game already is too much like COD, whether you think it's not like COD at all doesn't matter. Everyone has a different perspective on these things based on what you have or haven't played and how much. Let's say AAPG is a bit like COD, that is already too much for that audience. What leads me to believe this is the fact that many AA2 players liked AA2 but didn't like any other shooter game.
    ---
    Ok it's not fully released yet, it's wait and see, but i'm not that optimistic tbh. I predict the same thing that happened with open BETA launch will happen with the full release even with all the new stuff. Because the big things relating to this that have been brought up since the start of open BETA and sometimes even before that haven't been adressed.
  • DrecksDrecks Posts: 5Player
    edited May 2015
    I agree its the nicest game player community I ever witnessed.
    My only negative comment on them is their love for remakes of previous AA maps.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited May 2015
    First of all let's clear the air. You need to put the label you've given me aside, stop addressing me as an individual in each response, and address my comments.

If you don't think it's like COD or BF at ALL, then you've never played those games. There are numerous similarities.

There is plenty in this topic covering the similarities that you say do not exist:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/2n9m86/i_just_played_americas_army_proving_groundsand_im/

I read through the first 6 post on that reddit and none of them compare to it to cod the only thing they do say is AAPG doesn't have annoying 12 year olds like COD. The only thing that I can compare this game to COD is #1 The pace. Oh and #2 Overgrown...and I have about 3000hrs total with all the cod games combined on steam and that doesn't include all my time spent on cod4 and cod5 world at war zombies because I didn't use steam for them. I really can't compare this game to any other game it has way too many flaws/issues that would never make it into a game you buy. How you can compare this game to Battlefield is beyond me too. Did you even play COD or Battlefield? I've played them both extensively. BF didnt do competition. COD I did comp. That whole entire Reddit thread whenever CoD is mentioned they are comparing the AAPG community to the COD community, maybe you should actually read the reddit before you post a link to it?

This discussion has been closed.