Original Americas Army?

I am so disappointed with proving grounds. I really enjoyed the original Americas Army because it was an amazing game. The maps were so great and it was just much better in general. Could we get the original Americas Army game back please???
Which Americas Army Do You Like
  1. Favorite Version23 votes
    1. Proving Grounds
      30.43%
    2. Original AA
      69.57%

Comments

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 709Player
    Neither. AA2 was the bomb diggity
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    I like people saying AA2 was the nuts, maybe it was. "Was" being the fact. Does anyone even consider that if it was released now people would likely hate on it more than they do AAPG? It too would suck.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but it's old like many of its past player base will now be. Get over it.. move on.. or don't and be a living in the past, sad case.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I have all versions of America's Army installed and playable for testing purposes (and evil videos of Reyfox...) and I think Uni is right. Each version had its own merits and flaws, and AA2 would recieve a lot of criticism now, if for no other reason than people are a lot more whiny than they used to be.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,149Player
    edited November 2017
    Original AA is also on a 15 or so year old engine (plus any UE 2.5 upgrades). I honestly have no idea how an America's Army game that is a full blown clone of AA 2.3 would fare in today's market. Part of me says it would be a huge success and part of me wonders if today's modern gaming audience has the patience for a game where rounds can last 7 minutes or even up to 10.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    part of me wonders if today's modern gaming audience has the patience for a game where rounds can last 7 minutes or even up to 10.

good point
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,573Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    part of me wonders if today's modern gaming audience has the patience for a game where rounds can last 7 minutes or even up to 10.

good point

There are fps games with 30 minutes rounds or more.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    Jesus..like what? How many people play them, 17?
  • KULA_plKULA_pl Posts: 5Player
    Remastered AA 2.8.5 with the new UE B)
  • PauloCostaPauloCosta Posts: 37Player
    i did honor 100 on aa2 and aa3, i am now backing to aapg, i am liking, somethings i dont like the cheaters, macros and hacks, but the game is great.
    AA2 (2003)SMA ~ AA3 (2009)SMA ~ AAPG (2013)E6
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010799956/
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,460Player
    edited November 2017
    The only thing I would like from AA2 is the maps and it looks like we are getting them HOOAH.
    Pipeline next we hope =)

gKQ6BB2.png
  • PauloCostaPauloCosta Posts: 37Player
    alot of cheaters in aapg, jesus, stoop the hacks. hacks and macro are to noobs.
    AA2 (2003)SMA ~ AA3 (2009)SMA ~ AAPG (2013)E6
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010799956/
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 643Player
    PauloCosta wrote: »

You felt like you had to post the same thing 17 hours later?
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,573Player
    PauloCosta wrote: »

Can you agree with yourself? March 31, 2017 in Battlefield 1 forum you wrote: "i played theses games without problem, alittle?"
    and among other games you mention: "America Army AAPG (2013) 1000hours"
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • Blackthunder.7Blackthunder.7 Posts: 3Player
    Games updates are not always appreciate by all players :+1:
    MWR Volunteer Belgium : American Legion " Friend Member " post be02 : former mentor program aa3
  • KULA_plKULA_pl Posts: 5Player
    Look at Counter Strike we have CS:1.6, CS:S, CS:GO, that same maps, weapons and game mode. We See only new engine... why Devs don't give to us AA 2.8.5 on the new Unreal Engine? That same maps like Pipeline, Hospital with that same game mode and traning to Special Force?
  • EagleEye{HV016}EagleEye{HV016} Posts: 9Player
    edited November 2017
    I've played Americas Army since the very beginning. Each version have had it's ups and downs. Did I enjoy every phase? Yes I did. Would I go back to where it was. Definitively not. Why? Because things evolve. Are there things that I miss? Not much, perhaps it would be fun to re-visit Pipeline as I was a sucker for that map. But it's really not something that I would dedicate precious developer time on (unless it's part of their roadmap).

To me, it appear as if people forget one crucial fact here. The game is free. The developers does a great job at keeping up with the resources and requirements they have to abide by. Would I love to see the game updates more frequently? Of course, everyone would probably love that - including the developers. But be realistic. The game evolves. We might not always agree with the time frame, but the end-result in all these years have always been good.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the game that is - the players that are - and the great maps we already have available.
    // Eagle Eye
    edited November 2017
    KULA_pl wrote: »
    Look at Counter Strike we have CS:1.6, CS:S, CS:GO, that same maps, weapons and game mode. We See only new engine... why Devs don't give to us AA 2.8.5 on the new Unreal Engine? That same maps like Pipeline, Hospital with that same game mode and traning to Special Force?

I agree 100%. The biggest mistake was to make AA3 so radically different from AA2. If AA3 was a AA2 on UE3 it would have remained popular. I remember when AA3 came out all of the AA2 players tried it and dropped it fast. Of course the ridiculous bugs were one thing, but the game also felt very different from AA2. AAPG came out and a lot of AA2 players came back to try it and same idea. Game felt more like a CoD clone than America's Army (which the Dev team tried to fix a bit over the course of development) and the game was panned.

Is there still enough good will with the America's Army brand to get back the old AA2 players? No clue. I think if a AA2.x-type game was released on UE4 today a lot of them would come back to at least try it.

So many developers just need to look at Valve to understand how the PC gaming market works. Continue with your successful products, don't change the formula too much, but continue to expand and evolve, no pay-to-win only pay for cosmetics, etc. It's not just with AA that people don't realize this. Just look at the debacle with EA and its microtransactions.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I think the biggest mistake here is believing the Army thinks about this 'game' the same way we do. Of course, this has been said before but many people keep re-hashing the notion that the Army got it wrong based on ideas that weren't necessarily in the decision making process in the first place. It boggles.

Us = "The Army made a bad game that doesn't fit my needs or my idea of the market"

Army = Invest in and develop a 3D game-based software platform for various strategic uses

Us = "They did not achieve MY goals!"

Army = Platform has achieved intended internal goals.

DERP! :rolleyes:
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 766Player
    At least we have the best beta team ever.

Over 1.4k Golden Hawkeyes.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    I think the biggest mistake here is believing the Army thinks about this 'game' the same way we do. Of course, this has been said before but many people keep re-hashing the notion that the Army got it wrong based on ideas that weren't necessarily in the decision making process in the first place. It boggles.

Us = "The Army made a bad game that doesn't fit my needs or my idea of the market"

Army = Invest in and develop a 3D game-based software platform for various strategic uses

Us = "They did not achieve MY goals!"

Army = Platform has achieved intended internal goals.

DERP! :rolleyes:

IDK, I don't see a reason for the Army to waste resources making a public game and dealing with us annoying gamers if they didn't care about whether the game gained wide scale popularity. The Army was probably super happy to see the original America's Army become so popular. It got the Army name out there, made people learn a bit about the Army, and every time they booted up their computers to play they saw Army Army Army. Millions of people.

For the Army to release a public version of their gaming software, having it be a free game, and then to be content with having a player base that can't even compete in popularity with even the least popular multiplayer shooters in the market seems off. If that's the case, then the America's Army video game is just a gloried side project for the Army's software developers.

If there ever is an America's Army 5, the Army would do well to go back to the roots of the series and also be smart and get outside help. Big name Twitch streamers, top competitive players, whoever they can get who would be willing to help to consult on how to make the game not only good, but popular. Using the beta team to solicit input on the game will never yield any positive results. As nice of a group of people that the beta team is they don't fit that mold, they should be testing the product when it's nearing completion as their name suggests.