What AAPG has taught me

BudoGunnerBudoGunner Posts: 1Player
1)There is no purpose for any weapon other than the M4.
2)The M4 is a bullethose. When you see an enemy hold down the trigger until they drop.
3)When you see an enemy, you should dance left and right as much as possible. Your aim will stay straight as an arrow but they will have trouble tracking a moving target.
4)Hard cover is for n00bs. Bounding with your team from cover to cover is a sure way to lose as you will be flanked by suicidal, run-and-gun rambos.
5)Mission objectives are lowest priority. The goal is to murder ALL opfor. Nevermind the loses you make take or the safety of a VIP. Kill them all.
6)Everyman left behind. Why heal a teammate when you would just have to share the kills with them? Afterall, unlocks are based on high killcount. Higher score means higher rank, and that means you don't have easy n00bs to kill. Let them bleed out, you deserve that camo.
7)Bullets don't hurt, don't be cautious. It doesn't matter how hard you are hit, you can run, jump, shoot, and 'dance' just as well as when the round started. So feel free to act recklessly and endanger yourself, the team, and the mission (yes, those are in proper order according to Army values as demonstrated in AAPG).
8)Don't report enemy. You receive no benefit, so screw the other guys. That is YOUR kill, even if it costs team lives or, ultimately, the mission.
8)There is no chain of command. There is no reward for sticking with your squad leader, so ignore the VIP and/or any fields of fire that are left uncovered.
9)All firefights last less than 5 minutes. Don't worry about getting tired, it getting dark and needing NVGs, running out of ammo, or having to patiently focus your attention on your area of responsibility until that single, mission critical shot presents itself.
10)You will always know where the enemy is. They light up on a mini map if they shoot near you, and lets be honest there is no map where they won't be near you. There are no snipers, there is no need to seek cover until the source of fire can be identified, and most importantly there are NEVER any civilians around to worry about.

Ok, with that out of the way let me say I played AA way back in it's first release. I watched it grow into something honest, something that taught core Army values and the seriousness of the job. I remember taking the marksmanship qualifies that prevented any random kid from wasting an important support role.

Most importantly, to myself personally, I miss the medic training. Remwmber the story of a kid who savwd a mans life by providing first aid he had ONLY learned from AA after a car accident?

Where have the Army values gone? Is AAPG really something the Army is proud of? Please, please tell me we will have a return to a more realistic, training requiring model in the future.

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Player
    The game you wish COULD have been made (and played by you and ten of your friends)

Not enough people are into what you are these days. The anti-realism gamers say, "Just go join the Army if you want that."

:(
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    BudoGunner wrote: »
    The goal is to murder ALL opfor.

QFT!

AAPG is good!
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,278Player
    You want hardcore simulation and that just isn't what this version is I'm afraid.
    This version was designed to be accessible and more appealing to the 'everyman' gamer.
    The games market and FPS trends have changed a lot since AA0/2 and AA changes over time as well.
    As I've said in other threads, the next AA could be very different once again. It could be a RTS, a card game, a space based game, a programming game, you name it. There are many aspects to the Army and the Army is interested in showcasing more STEM and less shoot. The way of the future!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• SHANE523SHANE523 Posts: 69Player
    Actually I disagree with #6. Unlocks are based on points, you get more points by reviving someone then killing someone so blame it on people with poor math skills. Or just stupid people that feel they are better than everyone because their K/D is higher.

Kill = 10 points
    Revive = 20 points
    Complete an OBJ = 30 points

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=527862627
  • SHANE523SHANE523 Posts: 69Player
    edited October 2017
    Double post
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,518Player
    SHANE523 wrote: »
    Actually I disagree with #6. Unlocks are based on points, you get more points by reviving someone then killing someone so blame it on people with poor math skills. Or just stupid people that feel they are better than everyone because their K/D is higher.

Kill = 10 points
    Revive = 20 points

if your talking about the weapon skin unlocks it has nothing to do with points or Revive or Complete an OBJ.
    I agree with some of what BudoGunner has said.
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 624Player
    edited October 2017
    SHANE523 wrote: »

Kill = 10 points
    Revive = 20 points

Unless PS4 is different is this aspect (which I highly doubt) you only have cosmetic unlocks, which can be obtained by weapon challenges. And weapon challenges are all about getting kills/kill related achievements. This includes weapon skins and new scopes (the new scopes just look different, sometimes their use gives you a slight benefit, but no new magnification levels or anything).

Points/XP increase your rank, but you rank doesn't change anything. (On PC you can shout "Hooah!" only after level 5, but it is all you unlock.) I don't know how this works on PS4, I especially don't know how the matchmaking puts players together. But I don't think you'd unlock anything what affects the gameplay.

So, yes you get more XP for revives/objectives, but you don't unlock stuff with that.

Edit: [TOS Violation] it, Delton, you were faster... :)
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited October 2017
    AAPG has taught me not to revive someone too hastily.. but on the flip side, in real life, I should probably be real quick about it. I always carry around a bandage now, if someone falls from a great height, I have them well and truly covered. Whip that thing around the affected joint/extremity and bobs your uncle, good to go.

It's also learned me about having patience.. actually maybe that was AA3? ahh, in any case I learned it.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• [GS]DarthViper[GS]DarthViper Posts: 6Player
    1) There is no purpose for any weapon other than the M4. Yes and that’s why I use it.
    2) The M4 is a bullethose. I’ve been aiming with my hose ever since my Mom potty trained me, it works very well for me.
    3) When you see an enemy, dance left and right. That’s why I spray and pray.
    4) Hard cover is for n00bs. Run and gun forever!.
    5) Mission objectives are lowest priority, kill them all. Ignore the objective and you loose the game.
    6) Everyman left behind. Why heal a teammate? The team that heals teammates wins the game.
    7) Bullets don't hurt, don't be cautious. If find running away helps to save my health, but only when I need to re-load.
    8) Don't report enemy. I call out enemies so the better players in my group can kill them.
    8) Ignore the VIP. I can’t count how many times I see the VIP die alone.
    9) All firefights last less than 5 minutes. Unless your playing the Overload map and everyone camps in the bushes.
    10) The enemy is lit up on a mini map. I always forget to look at the map.
  • [kT]Trigga[kT]Trigga Posts: 102Player
    Come hard peak me, stand out in the open, try and spray me, all of the above are going to get you nothing but killed when facing a good player.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    edited October 2017
    As far as the OP goes, I mostly agree with 1 and 2. There aren't many situations where you'd want anything other than an M4.

Number 10 is pretty silly as well.

As far as number 7 goes, the penalty for having low HP should be that you have low HP. You already have ridiculous recoil with low HP. It doesn't need to be handicapped further.
    TheTots wrote: »
    You want hardcore simulation and that just isn't what this version is I'm afraid.
    This version was designed to be accessible and more appealing to the 'everyman' gamer

His point in number 10 is an example of where you guys went too far with this.

Nades are better than in open, but still pretty OP/low-skill. Flashes are incredibly OP. Flashes can be cooked to be placed exactly where you want them. At least make players put it in someone's line of sight or on top of them. As it is now, I can lob a flash well behind someone, or lob an uncooked flash that gives them plenty of time to look away and they still get blinded. It rewards bad play, plain and simple.

Incredibly over-the-top suppression effects that reward players for missing and makes people basically have to hope to get lucky firing back by definition decreases player skill as a factor in engagements. The random recoil, especially as it increases with low HP, serves to do the same.

I understand what you were going for. Any player, no matter how clueless or uncoordinated, can get kills and will therefore play and keep playing. The problem is that it gives other players a lot less to work towards as well as the added frustration of being killed by a clearly inferior player because of something at least partially out of their control.

I know I've personally beat this topic to death. I also know nothing is going to substantially change at this point. I guess I'm just ranting, but I know what I've said briefly here and in a lot more detail in other threads would result in a more skillful game. Whether that would have translated to a more popular game is anyone's guess. Certainly the comp scene wouldn't be in the sad state it is now. I guess I'm just disappointed we'll never know.