People joining UMM servers

2»

Comments

• (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    None of us care much for Steam , but that's the only way we have to access and distribute maps.
    And with the UGC interface broken , you can see how this is a big problem ?
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    It a huge problem, and I personally think the UMM crowd is holding the PC game together.

It frustrates me to have changes in one area leak bugs into another! In fact, the UMM/server stuff is something I regularly test as a Beta. There was a reason this bug was missed which I have no authority to post.

I get the frustration. You know that!

This negativity and vitriol aimed at the Devs is just not helpful. Blame me instead. Heck...have my pay reduced!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 368Moderator
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    . . . Heck...have my pay reduced!

done
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
    edited October 2017
    Yea well I think that there would be less negative feedback if the Devs would communicate better with us. All of this big mystery crap is exactly what causes people to get upset.
    With no explanation for why the game isn't working causes peoples mind to run overtime and when no one offers a solution for almost 2 weeks they begin to assume the worst.
    All you have to do is look to the player numbers and you can understand why we get wound up when yet one more thing gets broken.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I'll admit I wasn't too on the spot with the forum thread, but we had a "known issue" thread about it up in 48 hours. Our programmers knew about it before then and began to work on getting a new patch ready that would fix the issue. That patch is currently in testing.

As for "why the game isn't working", posting the code and details on how it was broken doesn't help you guys, and it takes away from our programmer time. Time better spent just fixing the issue.

This sucks, I know, and we are very sorry for shipping with that bug. It did not show up in our test plan and we're going to alter how we test the UMM portion for future updates.

The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

edited October 2017
    Thanks Tots , I would like to offer an idea for situations like this one if I may.
    Having known there was a bug of this sort maybe we could have asked everyone to stop updating their maps temporarily. The problem was greatly increased by the fact that everytime a map gets republished , the server dumped us back to the main menu . I had everybody goto our Steam collection page to re subscribe to all of our maps , but of course after they did , someone would update a map and of course they would have to go back and do it all again because unless they run the server they had no way to know which map was now needed.
    If we knew we could have avoided a lot of frustration for many players.
    Also if everyone sorted their maps in the 203290 folder by the last date modified, in a descending order, it will be easy for them to see what is updated simply by opening the 203290 folder and the most currently updated maps will be on the top of the list

Thaanks Again , Roach.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Good call on the map freeze. I'll talk to Dev Philbax and see if there's a way we can lock that down on our end if need be.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

Maybe but at this point I suspect it may be better to leave well enough alone , god forbid ,locking it down should possibly raise yet another issue.
    I truly think that many people just don't understand how it works because if they did they would have known not to re-publish any maps once we saw a problem. Mason and I figured it out on the second day . Most people were cooperative but it only takes one map in this case to upset the whole applecart.
    Two things could've helped right away. If everyone used a steam collection page for their maps and also if they understood that a republished map acts the same as a map you simply do not have.
    With the UGC not operating , the republish factor caused repeated instances that resulted in a lot of frustration , theres just no good way to reach everyone , unless of course it were stated in the release notes.
    I used steam PM's to reach as many as I could but there are limits to that.
    Anyway thanks for responding and please give this some attention asap.

Thanks Roach