"New Player Experience" changes on full release?

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    Heck, if the Devs won't want it to be "anti-Army values" just make it a paintball mode. All shots use "simulated" ammo, you get shot a few times, you sit down like in the old Miles mode. If that's the compromise needed to get the mode added in, I wouldn't be against it.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Deathmatch is the answer to a lot of new player issues. It allows people to grow their skills against other players while never having to wait long to get back into the game. There's constant game play. No matter how bad you are at the real game, you can at least jump into a DM game and not get as frustrated since you get another chance within a few seconds.

it would be a good mode for practice.
    -
    the devs would have to make sure you gain zero score of any kind while playing it. else you know it would become more popular than the normal game mode and pull a large chunk of the community away from the main game.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    The Army doesn't want a respawn mode. We have to do what our customer wants. It could be neat, sure, but it's simply not an option.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    well then, maybe some more focus on some kinda ai single player or co-op mode where new kids can go and learn how to shoot and avoid being shot by bots...
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    The Army doesn't want a respawn mode. We have to do what our customer wants. It could be neat, sure, but it's simply not an option.

Training has to be vastly improved in that case

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    IMO - The new players have to have some kind of training for Medic. They have to know when to revive. I get revived so many times only to die before I even have a chance to shoot. It is not fun at all. (Does this new player know he is doing something wrong? I mean he should because I just died right away. But how does me getting a death from him reviving me effect the person reviving at all? He still gets his 300pts. How do we teach new players how to revive?) Also we need training for when to throw a smoke, how to throw a smoke etc. Unless smoke is being removed till its fixed it has some serious issues right now and time and time again I see people going to an area only to throw smokes and sit back and wait, meanwhile a high honor defender is rushing up to them unseen because of the smoke and they die to a nade.) Also we need OBJ training, teach the new players about all the objectives and game modes and how they work. Flag, C4, Take and hold. It's simple for a experienced FPS player to get this but a new player? not so much.
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    edited May 2015
    Deathmatch is a no go.... jeez people. YUCK... once you guy's get past the pixel poppin clicky clack you will find AA is much deeper.

TEAM is the DREAM!
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    edited May 2015
    Bam4D wrote: »
    As per usual, great post BC.
    -
    You want to welcome a new player and guide them until they are familiar then turn the tool tips off when they no longer need them.

Like from Full HUD to Min HUD? o.0

Partially, I'm thinking of things more along the lines of quick tips for players while they play. Someone used the example of telling the player they are bleeding and instructing them on what button to hit to patch.

Already in game, it's called player hints.. in settings.
  • AvgusteAvguste Posts: 125Player
    Here is the thing. I have been reading this thread and have participated a few times and I definitely don't like what I have been reading. I understand that the game needs more players, I understand that we need to keep players, however I don't agree with having a deathmatch or any respawns. And before any of you jump on me for saying this, allow me to explain further.

I have been an AA player since 2004 and the days of AA2. Until 2008 I was heavily involved in the AA community. Left in 2008 when AA3 was released and came back for the start of AAPG. I left AAPG because at the time I didn't like the way the game was going. Came back a few weeks ago and I love the current state of the game. Does the game needs improvements? YES. Would I like for the game to get back to its AA2 roots (maps, slower play and such)? YES!! However to add a deathmatch and to add a respawn would be the death of Americas Army. A respawn removes the realism and basically doesn't force the players to learn and improve. It makes dying just a thing, instead of remaining important.
    And for the deathmatch, the deathmatch mode is basically equivalent to split the community in 2. We have already gone thru that issue, and for some we still are (AAPG & AA2.5). Adding the deathmatch for me equals the end of AA.

We want to add new players? We want to keep current players? The solutions are very simple:

-many of us are on gaming forums: advertise constantly AAPG
    -many of us know people from the old days: recontact them and re-invite them to join us and remake the AA community strong, friendly and powerful.
    -all of us we need to be friendly with all players, regardless of whether we like their play or not. Make each player feel welcome and appreciated for his contributions within the game.
    -if you are a unit (clan), your activity, the way you interact with players in and out of game helps shape the way the way people look at the AA community. Be friendly, help your fellow clanmates, help fellow players with tips.
    -for all of us, in game, instead of all running around like it is "Call of Duty", work as a team, use your voice comms at all times, support your teammates, heal them without being asked and generally be a good teammate.
    -Show new players or returning players the real AA community. The one that is friendly and respectful. We don't agree on things, we argue between each other, we argue with devs when they don't provide answers or when we feel devs are holding back (back in the days, between 2004-2008, I was myself very guilty on that front. Just ask Saint or Phoenix...), but at the end of the day, we are all one and we must show this by respecting old and new players alike. We all love AA, we are all addicted to AA. And for many of us old AA veterans, regardless of whether we stayed or left & came back, We Are AA!!!
  • SithHunterSithHunter Posts: 109Player
    edited May 2015
    Here is the thing. I have been reading this thread and have participated a few times and I definitely don't like what I have been reading. I understand that the game needs more players, I understand that we need to keep players, however I don't agree with having a deathmatch or any respawns. And before any of you jump on me for saying this, allow me to explain further.

I have been an AA player since 2004 and the days of AA2. Until 2008 I was heavily involved in the AA community. Left in 2008 when AA3 was released and came back for the start of AAPG. I left AAPG because at the time I didn't like the way the game was going. Came back a few weeks ago and I love the current state of the game. Does the game needs improvements? YES. Would I like for the game to get back to its AA2 roots (maps, slower play and such)? YES!! However to add a deathmatch and to add a respawn would be the death of Americas Army. A respawn removes the realism and basically doesn't force the players to learn and improve. It makes dying just a thing, instead of remaining important.
    And for the deathmatch, the deathmatch mode is basically equivalent to split the community in 2. We have already gone thru that issue, and for some we still are (AAPG & AA2.5). Adding the deathmatch for me equals the end of AA.

We want to add new players? We want to keep current players? The solutions are very simple:

-many of us are on gaming forums: advertise constantly AAPG
    -many of us know people from the old days: recontact them and re-invite them to join us and remake the AA community strong, friendly and powerful.
    -all of us we need to be friendly with all players, regardless of whether we like their play or not. Make each player feel welcome and appreciated for his contributions within the game.
    -if you are a unit (clan), your activity, the way you interact with players in and out of game helps shape the way the way people look at the AA community. Be friendly, help your fellow clanmates, help fellow players with tips.
    -for all of us, in game, instead of all running around like it is "Call of Duty", work as a team, use your voice comms at all times, support your teammates, heal them without being asked and generally be a good teammate.
    -Show new players or returning players the real AA community. The one that is friendly and respectful. We don't agree on things, we argue between each other, we argue with devs when they don't provide answers or when we feel devs are holding back (back in the days, between 2004-2008, I was myself very guilty on that front. Just ask Saint or Phoenix...), but at the end of the day, we are all one and we must show this by respecting old and new players alike. We all love AA, we are all addicted to AA. And for many of us old AA veterans, regardless of whether we stayed or left & came back, We Are AA!!!

Well at the end of the life span of AA2 there were modded servers with respawns and it still felt like AA to me, just saying. Also, Ranked Competitive matchmaking like in CS:GO, LoL, Dota etc. works magic in terms of player retention but I have no idea if Devs have the time/resources and incentive to go that way but such gamemode would also give a deathmatch a reason to show up- simply as a practise ground.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    We already have the "warmup" mode, though it has things like infinite grenades that can't be toggled off.

As far as I can tell, nobody's running a popular "24/7 warmup mode" server, so I can't say I'm particularly concerned about deathmatch taking over the game. (Having no built-in endpoint or scoring really turns off the long-term appeal, but still.)

Sounds like it's kind of a moot point though.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    lol.. 12v12 warmup mode haha, all you'd need to add is a timer to see who can stay alive the longest.. however some people will think that caming=win ..
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    As far as this server goes.. I'm reading far too many "feed the noob" features.. I'm sorry I think this game has more than enough already.. its soo easy

Just put the time in like everyone else that ever started playing, i don't think we need spend too much time on this.. just give them a few 1-10 honor servers and call it a day... along with basic training.. no need to over think things, if they dont like the game you cant force it on them
    The dev already said the army who is the customer wont let them do it so hold back with the speeches.

Omg he's running he's call of duty'in. AA2 people make me laugh.

Really nothing to laugh about. Games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Ghost Recon distort how an FPS should be played. Players in those games run around without teamwork/tactics, without comms....
    Definitely DO NOT want for AA to turn that way.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited May 2015
    Really nothing to laugh about. Games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Ghost Recon distort how an FPS should be played. Players in those games run around without teamwork/tactics, without comms....
    Levelcap has an entire series of videos called "Squad Up" dedicated to showing a group of friends using good comms and working together in the Battlefield series.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/levelcapgaming/videos

Any clan or team in any game is going to communicate with one another and work together. That's the entire idea behind organized play, regardless of the game. This is quite the generalization.
  • SithHunterSithHunter Posts: 109Player
    edited May 2015
    The dev already said the army who is the customer wont let them do it so hold back with the speeches.

Omg he's running he's call of duty'in. AA2 people make me laugh.

About TheBaDaBing's way of mocking on people that like AA2- not gonna be commenting it since it's pretty pointless, best way to ignore those statements. But about your statement, you defy simple logic unless you can point me to a Rulebook of the Interwebz, a paragraph stating how a FPS game should be played.
    I wasn't actually referring to clans/units. Apologies if there was a misunderstanding.
    I was referring to public play because the majority of new/returning players have their first interaction with the game within the public servers.