Prevent weapon sticking through wall

Hi All

I've made this map SpringBreach with new modernised walls and so on.....

But now i have a problem , Weapon is sticking through walls .... how can i fix that?
the walls are staticmeshes that has collision...so i don't know why it's doing this... Plz Help Me...Anyone
5.199.133.69:7778

Comments

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 550Beta Tester
    You mean the weapons in the hand of the player? this simple answer is: those have no collision, only the player does. If the weapon had collision, it would require more resources and movement around objects would be more clunky.

This is common in video games, only a few of them have measures against it.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,441Player
    edited July 2017
    Double skin walls is the only way I found to stop it, if you really want to stop them poking through.
    Its a lot of work =)
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Double skin? That doesn't change guns sticking through. Only thickness does.

If the player had gun collision we'd have to stand back from stuff farther or we could fix it with thicker walls. A crouched foot also sticks through.

None of the solutions 'feels' realistic, so it's a balancing act.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    edited July 2017
    keebs , houses in the uk are 2 skinned with an air gap inbetween , we have figured on the character having his volume more to his body the gun will stick out from it , so when a player presses againsnt a wall his gun will stick through it , with that said i did a quick set up as we build houses here . the character would press against the inner wall . and sure enough his weapon will stick through it , but will be in the cavity being covered by the outer skin/wall. this would make a lot of work to buildings but would solve this issue. plus you can have completely different material on any inside mesh to the outside one without adding extra panels.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 550Beta Tester
    edited July 2017
    Muzza, even if you do all that hard work, the gun can still poke through the corners.

CSGO got a system to counter this, it basically makes the poking part invisible, but as far as I know it is not 100% bug-free.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 328Beta Tester
    Fly around Inner Hospital and you'll find that many of the rooms are double skinned with an air gap.
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    Muzza, even if you do all that hard work, the gun can still poke through the corners.

CSGO got a system to counter this, it basically makes the poking part invisible, but as far as I know it is not 100% bug-free.

yep you are correct the corners are still vulnerable.
    and duke do you see the thickness of the double walls in hospital . a ciggie paper thin.
    Yes...so what I said was that it had to do with thickness, not merely double walled. It just seemed like we were going back to the shadow issue.

AA2 forced the gun to go down, solving the problem. AA2 was very advanced, regardless of the naysayers.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 328Beta Tester
    Perhaps I should have used the term “double walled” instead of skinned.
    This is what I was referring to.

556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
    Hey, Duke.....'there is no air.'

:)

All static mesh or even BSP 'skins' have zero thickness. It is the geometry...the distance between faces that gives the appearance of thickness. There is nothing in between on any of it.

So, if you imagine the player body having a tall cylinder roughly around it for collision with objects, you can see that the gun will stick out past the player collision cylinder. If the player approaches near a thin object, the gun will stick through because the gun has no collision. Thin walls like the solid railings on Watchdog are a perfect example, or doors.

There is a certain thickness an object has to be to cover the distance the gun sticks out. Simple as that.

Would we like those railings on Watchdog to be be clunky wide objects just to avoid this issue, or do those railings 'feel' like the right thickness? That is the balance here.
    ______

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,187Player
    Putting the walls further apart is about the only feasible way to stop weapon's from popping through single walls (BSP plains). Some places on some maps even have walls that body part (extremeties) can stick through, dependant on pawn stance allowing them to be shot from what should be a safe position :awesome: had some real blasts trying to explain them sorta kills to people who would rather believe your using artificial aids.

You say AA2 had some sorta function where the weapon would lower? that sure sounds like a great way to combat it.. but whilst lowered did it allow you to fire? I'd say that'd be the biggest issue with that kinda approach. The devs had had their fair share of feedback in regarda to mechanics seeming to restrictive in this game. But hey at least we ain't glued to the floor ala AA3 :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

We even had ricochets in AA2...you could shoot along a wall or floor and hit someone!

I think if you approached a wooder door and the gun went down you couldn't shoot. Can't remember. I have it loaded though for testing. I should check!
    ______