How is grenade damage detected?

2»

Comments

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player

Now obviously nothing can be said conclusively because there's not a visual of where the grenade was relative to me when it went off, but I feel like I got behind cover in time.

This is another example that makes me feel like grenade damage is calculated using the position the server has for me at the time and not where I'm actually at on my screen. There seems to be a noticeable inconsistency with some grenade damage that seems to line up better with a fraction of a second earlier versus where my player presently is. Am I making sense? lol
  • CaterPCaterP Posts: 190Developer
    To answer a question in the thread - grenade damage detection is done server side.
  • TheTots wrote: »
    Basically, when the grenade explodes it goes up 1 foot and then draws lines to everyone within a certain radius and calculates damage based on distance.

Hey Tots is this why when I "reactive" prone/crouch right before a nade hits me, I take less damage from a nade?

Also, I am correct to assume that if I am directly behind someone a few feet away I should take less damage from the nade?

Also have a question... does this mean that a nade that blows up "mid air" or "in the air" does more damage than one that landed on the ground?

• KeangDavidKeangDavid Posts: 16Player
    That changes nothing. The grenade had no direct line of sight to me until the game raised it up.

You experienced an 'edge case'. I rather this very RARELY happens as opposed to the grenades OFTEN not registering. Literally frame perfect timing is unlucky for you, but nothing to worry about.
    CaterP wrote: »
    To answer a question in the thread - grenade damage detection is done server side.

I'm guessing that's the only way to realistically do it?

It's just frustrating when you happen to get behind cover in the nick of time on your screen and still die. Of course that happens on occasion with CSHD bullets as well, but that's still better than SSHD would be.
  • eddiethinkeddiethink Posts: 27Player
    It exploded right in front of your face in video 1 at the same level of the top off the bench. seeing as it explodes 8 inches above that, you got a nade in the face.

Good cook by Peck.
    nade 2.jpg 431.1K
    nade 1.jpg 626.8K
    SKULL-PART-DEUX3.png
    eddiethink wrote: »
    It exploded right in front of your face in video 1 at the same level of the top off the bench. seeing as it explodes 8 inches above that, you got a nade in the face.

Good cook by Peck.

Good cook, sure. It only hit me because it's raised up when the damage is calculated. If it had simply gone off where the actual grenade was located, I'd have been uninjured.
  • eddiethinkeddiethink Posts: 27Player
    at least it answers the question as to where the nade was.
    SKULL-PART-DEUX3.png
    eddiethink wrote: »
    at least it answers the question as to where the nade was.

Yes, it explains how a grenade that exploded when I was behind cover managed to hit me anyway.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited July 2017
    Swings and ladders I guess, there are many instances where thrown grenades should kill you, but because of where you are positioned, or what they detonate near, they don't.

If you died to a grenade, just blame it on the frag gods.. that's what I do :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -PPaaxx--PPaaxx- Posts: 1,576Player
    It's a game, isn't meant to be realistic as you can see here.
    My original nick is -Ner0-
    It's now banned after the
    latest update.