Back after 6 months, here is my rant

Hello community, hello CMs and Devs

As an oldtimer in AA, and a person that has spent a lot of time playing, analysing and also streaming AAPG. I would consider my level of expertise on the game to be on par.
But with a thorough interest in the competitive aspect of video games, I was sad to see the reduced time and effort in developing this aspect of the game and ultimately led to the the AAPG esports scene dying.

I left, as many others did, AAPG for other games and greener pastures. And came back to try the game again after a hiatus of 6 months away from AAPG. And here are my thoughts:

1) Little to no change:
Not much has changed, we have not seen an improvement in maps, in UI or optimised PC performances. I was not expecting new weapons or a great new UI, and FPSs that went through the roof. But maybe something that would keep AAPG new and fresh, with new features, unlocks or something that says: "HEY! we are still working on the game you spend a ton of hours playing on".
Yes, there are new maps, but these maps are user made.
And in case you retork with the weapons skins like: "Oh and we have new skins for the guns" and they will probably get released sometimes between may and september...or Soon™

2) Stats, Game information and User information
I have read that you have made a very, very, very, very and I mean, very simple way to play AAPG on PlayStation 4. But could we maybe have a more informative AAPG on PC? I always seem to lack information that would make my game play better. Such as HP % instead of just a line, could be just a command in the console. How much damage you make to enemies during a game. Basically have a deeper insight in all the stats, that you have bragged logging during gameplay, available for the public.
It would also be nice to have the stats in game, such as "how many points to rank up" - "Weapon Challenges" - "Hours played" - "Last session" - "K/D".

3) The blurs
I do not know how I can describe it any better. But what really bothers me, is all the blur. When you shoot, when you get hit by nades, when others shoot, when you get shot at, when you have flashes hit you and when you have flashes not hitting you.
Yes, I get that you have to get the feeling that you hare in a warzone. But what it does is it gives the feeling that you drunk whilst playing a video game. Where focusing becomes ultimately the challenge and not trying to aim and shoot.
Shouldn't the game stage soldiers of the US.Army sent to save freedom in Czervina? well these top notch soldiers shouldn't get fazed by flashes or getting suppressed. They should just be able to respond to enemy fire at any given time.

4) Tournament mode
The title says it all - can we just have a decent tournament mode? that makes competitive play easier to handle?

5) The maps
As I recall a lot of the maps where made to be "proving grounds" - could these maps then be remade and improved? Although I like the idea that a lot of maps are being released, ultimately, some maps are better than others. So could these maps that are good, or close to be perfect, be improved?

Here I am thinking about small changes that you for instance made to Inner Hospital, by making Defense stairs take longer to climb up. They are much appreciated and I believe a lot of others have same issues.
On top of my head, we could have Watch dog be changed, so Police St. gets more accessible from the Attack side ? Or have Intercept being less FPS demanding.

6) Support community events
You are pretty succesful on your facebook page, each time you post something. But why not support community events such as the competitive tournament hosting 20 ish teams ? That's at least 100 players that play every Sunday and Monday. They would gain a lot by having you endorse a tournament. And in return you would be able to attract more players that would like to see, how AAPG is played.

I remember I once casted on the official AAPG Twitch channel - with out getting anything in return I did it. In hope to have a lot of viewers and attract more people to play competitive AAPG. It would be nice if you would do the same and cast you self some great games, and could maybe even talk about the ideas behind map as opposed to how it is getting played out now.

7) Teasers are good, but hard facts are best
I like that you post pictures of work in progress. But as Soeren Kierkegaard said: "the joy of expectations are the greatest" - meaning that we may like to rejoice and discuss coming features, bug fixes rather than just have a snippet of (yet another) a map that might come sometimes between now and fall.
What are you working on? what can we expect of this game? Is there a bright future for AAPG? how much more will you update? ETAs of anything?

Thanks for reading - I am done for now and I probably have a ton more.

Comments

• -[iG]-Leketiskis-[iG]-Leketiskis Posts: 127Player
    Lovely post, agree on most things, the tournament mode would be lovely, AA2 used to have nice admin panel where you can change settings without going to browse ini files. Well really, i agree on everything that you listed here :) And you are still my most favorite streamer of AA in Europe, would love to see you back in streaming scene, so i hope someone will look at this post seriously.
  • TonyZ.itTonyZ.it Posts: 25Player
    Nice post
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 709Administrator
    I agree with you on some points. I really think that weakly comps and esports need to be thrown in. Although this would need to be given time to properly set up. Since you cant just throw a bunch of ingredients together and expect to get the worlds best cookie in 10 min. As for the blur, I disagree on your point. I think it makes the game a bit more real for the player and is a great animation. No matter what soldier from any army if you get hit by a bang or your up close with most of the blasts and the frightened adrenaline rush from being shot at your going to have a difficult time with focus and precision. There are enough game out there that do not have this feature and there are others that do. Maps, I also would love to see some new or older maps come out to AA: PG how ever I don't think it matters if its been user made or not. Essentially all maps even Official maps all started out as User Made. Unless of coarse you mean maps that have been patched together by the Dev team. But if you look there are some great UMM builders that makes great maps and they spend a lot of their own time on filling the gaps. Weapon skins. This is a cool idea. Maybe a bit to long of a period to allow players to build and send in their weapon skin ideas, however a cool idea and I look forward to seeing some of these players ideas for the skins. Maybe you might have a few of your own that you can send in too. The Dev team however is still a job. All jobs have rules and guild lines they have to follow. The Devs might develop the game however its the American Army that owns this game and funds this game. There for its the Army that instructs the Dev's on what to do with the development of the game. Asking the Devs to give you a teasers is not possible and has never been possible until they leave the information about something in the News and Announcements. Till then its pointless to ask. I also agree that it would be nice to have a way to pull up your profile stats in game rather then going to the website. However there seems to be issues with the games collection always staying on track with the date base. A lot of plays seem to have situations where they say I got 50 kills with this gun but it did not register yet on my profile. Also there was a new release with players stats here http://aastats.com/ which was working for some time but it seems that it is down atm. For how long, I have no idea. But yes it would be great. Also as for a % on your health bar lol. I am pretty sure that most of us has taken math and pie graphs. I am confidant that if it looks like you have 15% health left you know its about 15%.and seeing a console of damage on players I could not see as needed but I get that some players want to see how much damage they made to the player they were shooting. I enjoyed your post but I have to make supper now lol. Take care!
  • PhilippovichPhilippovich Posts: 218Player
    Lovely post, agree on most things, the tournament mode would be lovely, AA2 used to have nice admin panel where you can change settings without going to browse ini files. Well really, i agree on everything that you listed here :) And you are still my most favorite streamer of AA in Europe, would love to see you back in streaming scene, so i hope someone will look at this post seriously.

you wanted it ? I did it: www.twitch.com/Philippovich
  • DOMINATION.DOMINATION. Posts: 83Player
    Quite an entitled rant.
    #1 summer update will bring new developer made maps
    #2 you haven't even played aapg on ps4 how can you have that opinion before you've given it a go.
    #3 is nonsense.
    #4 would be a great way for Devs to appease a vocal minority.
    #5 I agree on optimising maps; however I currently do not struggle with FPS or performance issues so wouldn't make a great deal of difference to me.
    #6 I agree
    #7 they're paid to do things in the order they're told to. Plans get changed and focus goes elsewhere depending on what the money man says. This is why most development studios are silent on what new stuff is coming. They shy away from saying something and being unable to fulfil it.

We as a community are blessed to have such open engagement with the developers.
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 713Player
    Anyone that finish reading the post from -=MvC=-Gorilla should get a medal.
    Please, use some more spaces next time so we don't trow up reading.
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 709Administrator
    lol yeah I was in a rush and was not concerned with numbering or paragraphing my points. Nor did I think I type that much since I was tired after a long 10hr shift working mothers day. However I will try to remember to organize things a bit better for those what have trouble Gaming lol.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,189Player
    edited May 2017
    I like how you've taken to time to provide the feedback, and haven't forgotten/left the game. I'm sure the devs appreciate it.

I took an opportune stream screengrab, thought it kinda fit with the feelings you may have been feeling when making the post ..

1zn7gr6.jpg
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -[iG]-Leketiskis-[iG]-Leketiskis Posts: 127Player
    Can't wait to see a match stream, that's what i meant by being fan of your streams :D you are good at commentating :)
  • |FOX|kozini.pl|FOX|kozini.pl Posts: 83Player
    My quess is that dev by not saying anything says thats it. It is the finished product. Dont expect much as theres nobody working on it. To be honest best to develop the new game on a better engine and leave aapg it as it is.
  • =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    The Devs have explained over and over that there isn't any new content planned besides new maps... so I wouldn't expect an answer.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,441Player
    edited May 2017
    [quote="Philippovich;6411
    As I recall a lot of the maps where made to be "proving grounds" - could these maps then be remade and improved? [/quote]

Yes try them.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912370395
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901153539
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=908728060
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    edited May 2017
    I hadn’t commented yet because all of these points have been addressed at different times, but here is a short answer again for these.

1) Correct. Post launch we are just looking to keep a stable game with new content as we are able. Currently that’s maps. VIP was our last game mode addition for now, but that could change. Weapons are the same way. We’ve looked at some new weapon options but if those make it in they are a ways off.

2) I don’t know where you read our ps4 version is “very, very, very, very and I mean, very simple” but that’s just not true. Lean and supported were taken out but that’s the only real change. It’s still AA:PG, just with different team sizes and ps4 optimized menu systems. I can see why stats in game would be nice, but it’s just not how we designed the systems to work together. The amount of work that would be spent to make those changes could be better spent on the game itself. We don’t show enemy damage in game because it’s easily exploited. Throw a spam nade and your damage debug shows it hit 2 guys. Now you have an unfair awareness. HP not represented as a number is by design as well.

3) This is a personal preference, but to say a soldier isn’t fazed by being flashed or suppressed is just not right. Those are real combat tactics for a reason, they work.

4) Something we’ve wanted to tackle for a long time but haven’t had the bandwidth to do

5) Again, personal preference on the map changes. Not much to address here from me. Our lead LD has an open mailbox where he takes feedback on maps, and has made changes based on it.

6) When players reach out to us we do our best to support events. I’m sure we could do a better job though.

7) We give hard facts when hard facts are available. Game development is dynamic, government game development is doubly so, and time/budgets/focus are always shifting. When we’re 100% on something and a date, we get it out there. We’ve been burned too many times in the past for not being 100% perfect on ETAs, in progress designs, etc. The teasers are just for fun and to show what we’re working on as we can.

The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Can confirm the answer for 6). Once messaged the facebook site asking if they are sharing montages and they sure did so. It could probably be arranged to weekly share the league streams (?) as long as the season lasts although I'm not sure if that's the kind of content that would be appreciated by the facebook community. At least personally I'm not really interested in competition videos and streams for games that I casually play.

On the other hand though, the content I would watch back then (montages of good plays, fails, funny bugs and such) is rather rare lately as well. I'd say it's worth a try to contact the site and set this up in a post, maybe asking for some feedback in the comments. If it's well received even better, now there's some more content and activity on that site rather than just the pictures advertising the PS4 version.

Take this with a grain of salt and granted people would actually watch it but it could also help cheating accusations if players get to see common spots to prefire, wallbangs, cracks to see and shoot through, corners to sit in and listen to surroundings etc. :p
  • [kT]Dominus[kT]Dominus Posts: 85Player
    Tots has a point except about #3. It's just not the same. Grenades are broken and don't fit into the game play like at all. What we have anyways is a game where we have limitations explicitly put on our character. In the best competitive games, the better you are at moving around the more skill you have (it makes it sound simple, but it is a true skill). In America's Army, because of the limited movement, you can't tell a noob from an experienced player except for which corner they know to lean at for 4 minutes.

The reason I bring up the movement with the "blurs and flashes and suppress-y stuff" is because all they are is another thing to worry about when playing the game,I mean if a flashbang or frag goes off directly above me I get all of the effects except the white screen or death. They are only a frustration playing the game, the only working grenade is the fog and it doesn't even last 10 seconds of a 4 minute round
  • samwisethebrave.Carbon8samwisethebrave.Carbon8 Posts: 5Player
    edited May 2017
    Hello community, hello CMs and Devs

As an oldtimer in AA, and a person that has spent a lot of time playing, analysing and also streaming AAPG. I would consider my level of expertise on the game to be on par.
    But with a thorough interest in the competitive aspect of video games, I was sad to see the reduced time and effort in developing this aspect of the game and ultimately led to the the AAPG esports scene dying.

Here we go again. Its been at least 2 months since someone made a similar post
    But good points on all particularly #3
    TheTots wrote: »
    I hadn’t commented yet because all of these points have been addressed at different times, but here is a short answer again for these.

3) This is a personal preference, but to say a soldier isn’t fazed by being flashed or suppressed is just not right. Those are real combat tactics for a reason, they work.

Agree with dominus on this. Grenade suppression is too much I shouldn't be suppressed upandover from a grenade thrown in mainchoke. Flashs need to be tweaked (but that is less an issue). The biggest issue for me though is the aimpunch/flinch (or whatever you want to call it). It decentivizes aiming for the head. Why aim for the head when you can hit your opponent in the chest and his crosshair bounces all over and he can't hit nothing or just spam fire and suppress him. I know the devs want to be somewhat realistic, but this isn't Squad or Arma. Gameplay over realism. And just spraying at a target isn't good gameplay.