AASystemSettings.ini on Steam: Doesn't work

~Oc~Bort~Oc~Bort Posts: 7Player
edited February 2017 in Game Support
My Hardware:
CPU: Q6600 Quad Core 2.4ghz (Clocked at 3.2)
Vidio: Nvidia GTX 1060
8gb Ram
Windows 10

I'm experiencing a low frame rate and even though I've found and followed this guide, editing this file, it has done absolutely nothing. I have turned off ALL lighting effects both in that config file and in the GUI options in the game I still see the flashlight effect around my gun(s), glooms, and other lighting effects. Editing the graphics settings either in the game or through this file doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.

Even though I have more than a decent desktop computer, when I use the calculation that guide above says to use, I'm only getting around 6fps. Something's wrong here.

Whatever the heck that "FPS Counter" in-game is displaying this is what I'm getting:
In Menus:
(=40fps?) I'd like to improve this.

In Training maps it fluctuates:
(=65fps?)

and

(6fps?) This needs improvement. This, or lower numbers, is what I'm getting while in multiplayer.

I've found that most of the game's directories are "Read Only" but the AAsystemsettings.ini file is not.

Has the way steam installed the game disabled being able to use the ini file?

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited February 2017
    Forget all that.. Why in the heck did you buy a Nvidia GTX 1060 only to butcher up all the game settings? I'd say you're beyond help. Do all the normal things, Update your drivers, ensure your OS is up to date etc..

I mean, if all you can get in multiplayer is 6fps, there's gotta be something wrong with your GPU. I have a worse GPU than that and I get easily rock solid 90fps (what I choose to cap the game at) on high settings.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• ~Oc~Bort~Oc~Bort Posts: 7Player
    I only ever look into "butchering up" game settings when the game isn't running very well. That's what an ini file is for! If I was getting decent FPS and changing the video options in the game actually worked I wouldn't have even bothered with the file.

The video card runs every other game I play very well. It's just this game giving problems because NONE of the settings are actually doing anything.

Is the calculation that guide says to use correct?
    edited February 2017
    I'm doubtful it's the game at fault. You should be able to get 120FPS+ with the GPU you have, even with the in-game settings maxed out, there should be ZERO need to alter the ini files to get better frames.

There's something else wrong, not the game.

Other than that your misunderstanding the numbers. The top number on the ingame readout is your current FPS, the bottom number is frametimes in m/s. To verify get Geforce Experience and turn on the frame counter, that will also show you how many FPS you get.

edited February 2017
    Something's up somewhere. When I change settings in the game GUI and click apply they don't do anything at all, no visible change, FPS goes no where (not up or down). Should all of the games folders be Read Only?
    I'm doubtful it's the game at fault. You should be able to get 120FPS+ with the GPU you have, even with the in-game settings maxed out, there should be ZERO need to alter the ini files to get better frames.

I agree! That's why I'm here asking for help figuring out what's going on - why doesn't anything change even if I change the GUI video settings???
    edited February 2017
    That's good! it means your GPU can handle the extra load when maxxing everything out. If the numbers in your first post are what I think they are, your game and GPU are running fine..

I have no idea about the ini files being read only, I never touch them.

Also the difference between the settings from low to high can be hard to notice, especially when it's not affecting your performance no matter how you set them.

What's the deal with that steam guide saying about needing to calculate the top "FPS" number by the bottom "ms" number to get your actual frame rate? Is that true? If it is then there are times my FPS drops to 6fps or worse which is not good. When the top number reads above 60, other than a few lag skips here and there which could be a connection thing, the game seems to run smooth.

And again...why doesn't changing the in-game video settings change anything? I want the lighting effects GONE.
    edited February 2017
    Don't know about that steam guide or the calculations, I only know for certain that the top number of the two is indeed the FPS your getting. So if the guide said to calculate top by bottom or whatever then I'd say yes, his guide is probably wrong. Unless your not reading it or understanding it fully?

As for the lighting effects, some of them have to be enabled so the game functions correctly. People have had issues when turning off lighting effects, such as dynamic lighting.

• -PPaaxx--PPaaxx- Posts: 1,576Player
    Steam has a FPS counter. Go to Steam Settings -> In-Game -> In-Game FPS counter.
    It's more simple.
    My original nick is -Ner0-
    It's now banned after the
    latest update.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    The in-game fps counter works perfectly fine. If you were actually getting 6 fps you would notice, it's the upper number and there are no calculations needed, that wouldn't make sense at all.
    Thanks. so that guide is both out-dated and incorrect. I figured but you never know so I asked. I reinstalled onto another drive and I'm still having the issue of the graphics settings not changing in-game. I submitted a support ticket for it. The steam FPS counter reports while in a multiplayer game it's running between 30 and 90FPS. I still think my card can do better than that but...we'll see what support says.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I don't see any difference either tbh but apparently there is one. Looks the same to me on high and low.
  • -PPaaxx--PPaaxx- Posts: 1,576Player
    In the games video settings set Framerate Smoothing On and Max Framerate to e.g. 120 or higher.
    My original nick is -Ner0-
    It's now banned after the
    latest update.
  • [kT]Trigga[kT]Trigga Posts: 102Player
    edited February 2017
    I recently was experiencing some low fps issues. I have a gtx 970 and i5 4670k, I would at max get 175 fps on most maps. Over the past year I have swapped my cpu out 5 times with different cpu's, my video card has been swapped out a total of 4 times. When I finally fixed my problem it ended up being my old drivers from video cards, motherboards, and cpu's. I uninstalled all of my old drivers and BAM, booted up AA and had 300fps constant on EVERY map. Give that a try. Ill see if i can link the thread i was following to see all my old drivers.

Edit: I followed these exact steps to uninstall all my old gpu and cpu drivers.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-remove-old-unused-device-drivers-in-windows-7
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    edited February 2017
    The game is mostly cpu bound so graphics setting are very unlikely to make a big difference. I'm afraid with a cpu that old its going to be tough getting better performance.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    nvidia has released a lot of crappy drivers for the last year(s), especially for older games.
    Im currently using 368.81, its about the oldest driver i can use with the OS and video card i have.

A little note tho, a Q6600 isnt really that efficient by todays standard, it will in a lot of scenarios bottleneck your GTX 1080, it simply cant calculate frames fast enough for the card.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • KodenKoden Posts: 284Player
    That q6600 is quite the bottleneck, and actually if you want to squeeze all the power you can get from the 1060 you'll definately need to swap to a newer socket for a much more modern cpu (even the fastest cpu you could theoretically get for that system you currently have is only about 25/30% faster than the q6600).
    Derob6.jpg