First impressions

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,612Beta Tester
    I'm 52. In life, my philosophy has been "Even in bad relationships, it's not a waste of time if you learned something."

If all Comp players got out of the experience was "They didn't listen to me," then ya...it was a waste of time.

I've learned a TON of stuff in my involvement, so I'm quite happy with the takeaway, even though there are other things I'd like to see changed. Luckily, one of the things I learned is "It's not my Army Game to tell others what to do."
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    If all Comp players got out of the experience was "They didn't listen to me," then ya...it was a waste of time.

You won't find many of those guys around AAPG today. That should confirm that comment.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    A lot of those comp guys felt that it was the last chance that they had at the game changing for the better. After the bad experience they decided to move on to other games. You can call that "they didn't listen to me" or just figuring there's no hope for a better game.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 322Player
    edited January 2017
    Deleted by self
    Wasn't someone saying that after the holidays it would pick up? Or was it during the holidays it would pick up? Right now AAPG is a lot of wasted money and resources. If we see that, surely someone else is going to pick up on it as well.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    1. Walking in sand... Ive heard this before from people but never really understood it.. the moment I moved it felt like youre stuck in quicksand... walking feels like turtle speed, overall all movements are slow and sluggish, its like my pawn is a 300lb soldier... I honestly thought something was wrong when I moved. .
    I play several FPS, CS not included, and I don't feel the same way.
    2. Performance.. Do you guys even know how poor this game plays? the stutter is real !! its so choppy with every movement.. I asked my clan mates is the game lagging cause thats what it feels like.. its awful !! I've felt this before when taking time off, you actually have to get used to how poorly the game plays before you start enjoying it.. this is NOT right !! .. you can from this game to any other and they feel normal, but coming back to this game is just a nightmare.
    No lag at all, even playing on servers located outside the US.
    3. The screen shake .. so overlooking the previous 2 remarks and just playing.. you get a headache 5 min in from the constant screen shake..the suppression is anything but fun... from gun fire, nades that arent even close.. its all so over powering, combine that with the performance and I actually stopped looking at the screen when I was dead.
    IDEM 2
    4. Gun fire.. its no wonder new players and old players suck.. the gun fire is so violent, you shoot and its like your gun is flying out of your hands .. the random bounces are way to far spread apart, honestly its no wonder people don't get better in this game. Listen I'm what you call a Pro in this game and for me to say its violent only makes it far far worse for others, especially new players.
    I more real than a lot of others FPSs, this makes it unique.

CS will destroy you taste for FPS.
    Wasn't someone saying that after the holidays it would pick up? Or was it during the holidays it would pick up? Right now AAPG is a lot of wasted money and resources. If we see that, surely someone else is going to pick up on it as well.

I agree it's pretty slow around here, and I personally wish that wasn't the case, but I have to ask you what evidence you have that the Army hasn't been happy with what they got out of this endeavour so far?

Everyone assumes "a successful video game" was their goal.

That attitude entirely discounts other benefits from a project like this. Please note I type here on these forums in NO official capacity.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    I get it. I'm quite negative, however I wasn't insinuating that the Army people aren't happy with what it has done or the experience. I'm saying the activity levels from the public world who use this resource is quite low.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    Sorry for off topic -
    There was someone who said he would redo all AA2 maps and release it in July 2016. Any news from him?
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 724Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »

I agree it's pretty slow around here, and I personally wish that wasn't the case, but I have to ask you what evidence you have that the Army hasn't been happy with what they got out of this endeavour so far?

Everyone assumes "a successful video game" was their goal.

That attitude entirely discounts other benefits from a project like this. Please note I type here on these forums in NO official capacity.

Why on Earth would anyone fund a major project, hire game developers to work at a brick and mortar facility to NOT be a successful video game?

The goal of the game has to be looked at as a complete failure. Which is scary to me, because that usually means loss of funds in the military. Maybe since we're adding personnel now, AAPG will get brand new leadership and kick this thing square in the rear.

Or maybe not.

At this point, I wouldn't be mad to see an AA2 remake. It covered so much more than what AAPG has.
    edited January 2017
    i9.Doogle wrote:
    Why on Earth would anyone fund a major project, hire game developers to work at a brick and mortar facility to NOT be a successful video game?

I've been studying the Army's implementation of 3d geometry 'as a game' since 2002 out of personal interest. As I have said before, this didn't come out of a game studio, but the Naval Post Graduate School as theories on the benefits of 3d worlds to the military for various reasons.

I'm in a tough spot about how much I want to speculate while I'm a Beta. So, I'll just say that there are always multiple benefits from projects if people are open to taking a step back and learning.

If it was MY game, I'd have learned all sorts of things about ................all sorts of things.

______

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited January 2017
    AAPG is really a small scale social experiment.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 322Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    AAPG is really a small scale social experiment.

ha, made me laugh out loud how much this experiment has worked.
  • [DHG]=RyansPrivates-[DHG]=RyansPrivates- Posts: 60Player
    edited January 2017
    *retracted*
    i7-6700k water 4.7
    ASUS 6gb 1060
    16gb Corsair DDR4

• Performance is the worst part of this game, it's not like it has any fancy texture or effects but still does not run well. Whatever committee decided it was a good idea to go with DX9 should not be in charge of crucial game design choices.

Also if this is intended to be a recruiting tool, how do they expect anyone to get a proper idea of what the army is like with the arcade game feel? Map design is pretty lame for the most part, the objectives are lame, basically this is just team deathmatch. Or for most servers one or two players doing most of the killing. There's a reason this game peaks at 650 players a day, and it's not because it's a good game.
  • [kT]Tens0r-[kT]Tens0r- Posts: 14Player
    edited January 2017
    I'm a semi-pro player from the Competitive CoD4 scene (it's dead in the US, but still somewhat alive in the EU), and as a player with only 23 hours (I have 150 on steam, but those 130 are from over a year ago during the open beta) I can agree with what Doba is saying. The movement feels slow and clunky, the recoil is random, which can be fine if it doesn't take away from the player's ability to aim: the player can't aim as adequately because they are focusing too much on recoil control. Just these two thing alone cause the game to not be as widely played. I think one more thing that could be added would be a silent movement factor like crouching in cod or shift walking in CS. This would allow baiting with sound to be much more effective and add a new component that would increase the skill ceiling of the game. I'm not posting this to trash the game, I personally enjoy the game quite a lot, but I do think these downfalls hinder the game's popularity and ultimately its potential of becoming a GREAT game.
  • [kT]Dominus[kT]Dominus Posts: 85Player
    The movement IS bad. You play any competitive game (say what you want, AAPG is a competitive FPS now, not strategic), and movement is part of your learning curve.

If you play America's Army, the movement is bland, and you have no true control over your character.

When you play Counter Strike, Rocket League, or even Overwatch and Call of Duty, you can tell a beginner from someone who has experience.

When I play America's Army, I can only tell someone who is a noob from someone who has experience because I recognize their name - the movement is so limited that someone moving ACTUALLY looks like it was their first time picking up the game. After a long time of watching, the player's decision making can give it away too.

The recoil is out of anyone's control, the game has been running with a less and less skill ceiling with each update as well. They even took away quick leaning.

One nice thing to have would be smokes back, fogs don't last long enough for team play and executes to happen. In fact they barely last long enough to revive someone, 9 seconds before it starts fading... smh
  • [kT]Dominus[kT]Dominus Posts: 85Player
    The game is not going near as well as it was either, it's losing players since the full game was released with a few exceptions here and there
  • [kT]Tens0r-[kT]Tens0r- Posts: 14Player
    Movement: Increasing the speed of crouching and while ADS (aiming down sight) would make these two methods of movement more viable and therefore reduce the run and gun aspects. One more thing that would make these two movement methods viable is to make the footsteps inaudible while using them; you are silent while crouched/ads

Gun Play: Because of how random the recoil is and also the extent of it, headshots are key to competitive play. This isn't a bad thing, but I believe one issue is the sway. Even with the ability to hold breath, it takes too long to steady your rectile. This means that a player who is already posted up will have a huge advantage over someone who has to peek. This sway also causes inconsistencies in quick peek and pre-fire situations, which is the most effective way of killing someone holding an angle. This inconstancy causes a lot of randomness to happen in play which is never good for a skill-based game. So in short, at least removing sway and/or reducing recoil would probably be a good start at increasing the skill-ceiling in this game.

Play Style: Since the gun play favors the person holding an angle, it is much more advantageous for players to sit and wait for kills. Another factor that favors this play style is sound. Since a player can hear anyone crouching or aiming down sight, it is more advantageous to camp and wait. Now holding angles is an important part of any defend and attack game, but the problem here is that because this defending play style is so effective, you have players on both sides (att/def) doing this and it takes a lot a way from the objective play. Another thing, is the length of rounds. From my understanding there is a 3 minute timer correct me if i'm wrong). Considering most maps are played 5v5 (speaking in terms of competitive play) and are quite small (think crossfire for example) the longevity of the timer puts zero pressure on attackers to play the objective.

Sorry for the long post. I think if these three things are addressed we could help balance out the game.
    P.S. considering I'm fairly new, I would really appreciate some older players' thoughts on these aspects. Let's work to make the best possible AA game we can.

Thanks,
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    [aT]Tens0r wrote: »
    Let's work to make the best possible AA game we can.

Thanks,

My friend, welcome! I agree with your thoughts and Im glad to see someone NEW with some sense agreeing with mine.. now take a quick peek on my post count!! weve tried to make the best AA game.. its failed, somewhere along the lines the communication was lost between vets of this game and the Devs.. quite honestly.. RIP AA would be the best thing for the near future

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw