[SOLVED] Adding Custom Content - Decals, .jpgs, sounds?

[DHG]=RyansPrivates-[DHG]=RyansPrivates- Posts: 60Player
edited December 2016 in Mission Editor - Support
I see in the mission editor that there is a section for "Custom" content.
Where would I add custom content, or file path? I use the Simple editor, but am also learning how to use Advanced editor, tho it's not as user friendly as some other Unreal Editors.
i7-6700k water 4.7
ASUS 6gb 1060
16gb Corsair DDR4

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    You've seen a more user-friendly UE editor? I thought they all looked the same!!! :p

Search through the forum posts for importing custom assets, and remember the asset, when used, must become part of the map file (package) to avoid the dreaded 'external reference' message. Basically, if it's not in the map file, your users won't have the asset and they'll see or hear........nothing.

:)

Don't go by the Custom content section. It's meaningless for AAPG. You can STORE it there, but not use it from there.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • I was looking up tutorials for the Unreal Engine Editor, and found this video https://youtube.com/watch?v=v-1H6EGnOas&t=46s

It looks simple how he drags and imports graphics into his content manager. But i get import error and have tried various ways of importing. (ie: changing file type, opening the upk packages, etc)

and along with how easily he can change the texture.

But, for the most part, i just want to create an image and throw it into my map. like wall art in game.
    I noticed the 3rdID clan made a map called, "Fort Stewart" which has a lot of images in there. But can't seem to find how or where, and using the search toolbar in forums here is tedius.
    i7-6700k water 4.7
    ASUS 6gb 1060
    16gb Corsair DDR4

• [DHG]=RyansPrivates-[DHG]=RyansPrivates- Posts: 60Player
    edited December 2016
    I saw some threads about it in the forums. I did everything that i've seen to do.
    Created and saved a Targa image file in Photoshop, imported just like a saw in Wolverine's video and others.
    I'm resulting in "Import Failed" each time. Tried on new map, and in cooked map in cooked package and tried in "untitled package" that pops up for new map.

Missing something, but i can't get past import file.
    i7-6700k water 4.7
    ASUS 6gb 1060
    16gb Corsair DDR4

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 645Player
    edited December 2016
    textures , must be tga format , image size 512x512 or 1024x1024 , etc

allso your video is for unreal engine 4
  • Hey Ryan, saw your message in our shotbox and on our forums. Ill try to give you a few tips and pointers here. Definitely check out the tutorials linked by others above. Specifically check out this one here : [ Tutorial] add logo and check out Wolvy's AAPG Advanced Mission Editor Tutorials specifically his video [Tutorial] Importing StaticMesh,Textures and Using Proper Path to save your Map(s)

Make sure your images are by power of 2. So size should be something like "32x32", "64x64", "128x128", "256x256", "512x512", "1024x1024", "2048x2048"

You can mix and match so for example "1024x512" will work but usually its best to stick to a square.

.tga is the recommended file format, but honestly I use png because I'm too lazy to convert it in photoshop.

You need to have your map saved at least one time before you can import anything. In the content browser, under packages at the bottom left, you should see your disk drive ( C: ) for me. Just keep going down the tree C: / Users / name / Documents / My Games / America's Army Proving Grounds / AAGame / Unpublished / CookedPC / Maps / MissionEditor / Saves / Map Name / FLO_Mapname

alternately you can use the filter, just type in your map name.

FLO_Mapname will have a wrapped box icon, not a folder. You right click on that and select import. Select your image. It should pre-populate the Package name, if not just use the drop down and find your map's name. I always use a grouping, its basically just a folder to help you keep things organized in your package. So you can use images or imports or whatever you want. Give it a name. Press OK and it will import the image.

Now you will have a Texture2D image in your content browser of what you imported. Now you have to make some sort of material, depending on what you want to do. Right click next to the Texture2D (not on it) and you will see New XXX. There are several options here. If you want to make a decal, think of it like a sticker you can just put on any surface, select New DecalMaterial. Again, should pre-populate your package name. You can use any grouping again. Give it a name, I usually name mine the same name as the texture2D and add _decal. so for example my Texture2d would be "teamlogo" and decal material would be "teamlogo_decal". You don't have to use that naming convention, do what you like, I just do it this way so I feel organized. Factory should pre-populate as DecalMaterial. Press OK.

Now you will have a "DecalMaterial" object in your content browser. It will be a grey and blue checker. The Material Editor should automatically pop up, if not, just double click on that decal material. Now you want to get your Texture2D that you imported. Click and then drag it from the content browser into the grey area of the material editor. There is a lot you can do here but for the sake of just getting you going, you will see your image is labeled Texture Sample with 5 tabs to the left of it. click the black tab and drag it to the black tab next to Diffuse. Now click the green checkmark at the top left. Now your decal material is ready to use.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. Also feel free to open up my maps and use anything you find in there.

PLevlex.jpg
  • [DHG]=RyansPrivates-[DHG]=RyansPrivates- Posts: 60Player
    edited December 2016
    Great feedback, thanks guys. Best community out there.

It was the size of the photo saved. thanks a lot! i'm sure i'll have many more questions to rack your brains. Appreciate the camaraderie.
    i7-6700k water 4.7
    ASUS 6gb 1060
    16gb Corsair DDR4

• I got my images in map, published.
    But now my map is saying "Service Mismatch" and has NULL at the end of it.
    Also, i have 2 packages in my level. 1 is empty with an * (mypackage*) and the other has my images in it. If that helps.
    i7-6700k water 4.7
    ASUS 6gb 1060
    16gb Corsair DDR4

• SOLVED
    i7-6700k water 4.7
    ASUS 6gb 1060
    16gb Corsair DDR4