Sound Thread for Opt-In 2

Comments

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 458Player
    I really don't understand how the sounds get any positive feedback at this point in time. It's a complete mess across the board.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    edited May 2015
    I really don't understand how the sounds get any positive feedback at this point in time. It's a complete mess across the board.
    -
    Some don't have the hardware and/or where-with-all to know any better
    -
    I will say only that it there was a bit more consistency and some map situational sounds were cleaned up.
    -
    Beyond that, it is a WIP. But its been handled soo poorly by management. The implementation of this sound engine should have been completed behind closed doors with the keen eyes of those who utilize sounds the most of anyone (comp players, duh). And it was not handled that way. Thus, negative results.
    -
    By extension, i feel like the dev responsible for the sound engine implementation is being put in an unfair situation. His work in progress getting scrutinized by hundreds of people.. most of which don't have any understanding of sound and how it contributes to gameplay and grows a game

2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Sound is sound. It should sound like it's supposed to, be directional, and fade with distance. Don't need comp players to know that, no offense.

You people have no idea how bad this was when it started, or how many things have to be changed manually, one at a time!

Find 'em. Report 'em. Give USEFUL feedback.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    At the start of the map on Shadow step the attacking team has an annoying generator buzzing in your ear...but when you fly around the generator you can see how the sound "SHOULD" sound like! The direction was good and the fade out when floating around it was excellent.. too bad all sounds didn't work as well as this useless generator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Sound is sound. It should sound like it's supposed to, be directional, and fade with distance. Don't need comp players to know that, no offense.

You people have no idea how bad this was when it started, or how many things have to be changed manually, one at a time!

Find 'em. Report 'em. Give USEFUL feedback.

Here somes useful feedback Get rid of sound occlusion completely.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

The sound occlusion is all wrong.. I get the theory behind it but it just doesn't work well in this game, especially on 6v6 maps..these maps are small irl im going to hear everything in such a small environment where as here everything is muffled because of one wall.

You can throw a nade on inner into main T choke and not hear it because it's behind a wall and corner.. that's so bad!!

Occlusion will be awesome if it can get dialed in.

Come on, guys! I personally think the M4 sounds like you're banging on Tupperware with a wooden spoon! Doesn't mean I think the rifle should have its sound removed!

:p
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    edited May 2015
    Occlusion makes sense on BF3 huge type of maps, on our maps its just ruining our directional sound. Gun shots can be heard from extreme distances, here they cant be heard from 50 ft .. at the moment it seems as if they are trying to make the maps bigger with occlusion.. but its not working its just making it worse.

To dial it in, would mean to reduce it by over 75% across the board.. at least.. and test again

Sounds like you're confusing occlusion with fade.
    ______

"Sound occlusion is the blocking of sound by large objects between the sound source and the listener"

nope.. not confusing occlusion and fade... but technically isnt that what it is? the large objects muffle the sound.. as in "close the door if the other room is too loud".

its just works too well in the game resulting in muffled sounds across the board.

I should have said "Distance and occlusion" but ya....let's dial it in! I love the concept of it for............"immersion."

:D
    ______

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Here is some more constructive feedback. If the sound was so bad in the beginning for you beta testers. Why are the Dev's adding stuff like occlusion and HDR before the sound is right. Get the gun fire where you want it. Get the footsteps on all different surfaces sounding right. Get ALL that MAJOR stuff sounding right. Then start to implent an occlusion if your heart so desires and mess with it from there.
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Occlusion makes sense on BF3 huge type of maps, on our maps its just ruining our directional sound. Gun shots can be heard from extreme distances, here they cant be heard from 50 ft .. at the moment it seems as if they are trying to make the maps bigger with occlusion.. but its not working its just making it worse.

To dial it in, would mean to reduce it by over 75% across the board.. at least.. and test again
    Sounds like you're confusing occlusion with fade.

No he is not confusing occlusion with fade he is 100% correct in saying the occlusion is ruining the directional sound because that's exactly what it did in the 2nd opt-in.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

edited May 2015

I would argue that it is indeed literally that simple.... Yet it took till we (comp players) heard it and made obnoxious posts about how bad it was for it to get noticed.... interesting. Had comp ears been on some of this stuff earlier (like they already do in good games like CS and LoL) we could have averted a lot of wasted time. We just hear things differently and often times more keenly, no offense.

So....you believe that no one knew there were sound issues until YOU guys pointed it out here in the forums? Okay. You're amazing!

Look, contrary to popular belief it's the ARMY that tells the Devs what to do, not me...or you. I'm cool with "Work In Progress." And I guarantee your ears don't out-keen mine.....
    ______

edited May 2015
    So....you believe that no one knew there were sound issues until YOU guys pointed it out here in the forums? Okay. You're amazing!

Look, contrary to popular belief it's the ARMY that tells the Devs what to do, not me...or you. I'm cool with "Work In Progress." And I guarantee your ears don't out-keen mine.....

Thanks for the kind words but no, as a matter of fact, I know a few betas who have been concerned about the sound for a couple months past. I wonder why their voices weren't heard? My past experience "behind the scenes" gives me a few ideas but that's neither here nor there. I really just think the whole thing was dealt with in the wrong way on a management level. An alpha level sound engine is getting fed to the general public and 90% of people are giving feedback on things without testing them in a server alone (or with a friend) to make sure they are doing a controlled test. At least i test things before i faceroll my keyboard and hit the post button. You don't know me so ill ignore the rest of what you said haha.
    -
    Solution: Gather high caliber players, get the dev's in the same server with them and go over the sound issues and hammer it out right there. Do this for a couple weeks going through each map and have a great sound engine.... Its such an easy way to get everything right in a short amount of time. And we won't even come close to doing anything like it because "It's the Army".
    Fair enough. I agree in general. But you did say it took 'comp player's obnoxious posts for it to get noticed.'

I do know this: I'd hate to piece through the feedback here and manually adjust the sound one item at a time if that's how it must be done. That would drive me nuts...! I'm interested to see how this will affect UMMs.
    ______

• intoXicatedintoXicated Posts: 12Player
    edited May 2015
    I tested sound in OPT-in with my old headset and new. (in standard AAPG beta both sounds effects are similar) .

With old stereo headset i have serious sound issues:
    - I heard enemy 5 meters away while he was about 15-20 meters away.
    - enemy guns sound like toys.
    - many more minor issues.

With new 3D 7.1 headset sound is on much higher level.
    - sound direction is now ok.
    - guns now sounds realitic.
    - whiz of bullets are fantastic
    - new sound engine comparing to beta is better.

Each player have diffrent sound card and headset but I didn`t think that the difference is so large.
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    That's because right now it's mixed for speaker environments, so those 5.1/7.1 headsets actually work better than headphones, and they shouldn't. We hear 3-dimensionally with 2 ears- a good sound source should be able to reproduce a binaural experience without the need of gimmicky products. Hopefully the module Soundy mentioned that will essentially be similar to CMSS-3D from Creative, but will actually work at the WWISE level instead of waiting for the sound to be mixed in windows, will remedy that.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • RoLLerFoShoRoLLerFoSho Posts: 23Player
    edited May 2015
    here are some very very accurate gun sounds and bullet sounds and foley sounds

when you go to link scroll down to bottom they have demo of the sounds

Also even if you guys dont use the sounds it gives you his layout of recording no maybe replicate the recording because these are very accurate and great sounding weapon sounds and what not

guns
    http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Gun_Sound_Effects_J

https://therecordist.com/product/machine-guns-hd-pro/

https://therecordist.com/product/guntales-hd-pro/

bullet sounds

https://therecordist.com/product/ultimate-bullet-hd-pro/

gun Foley

https://therecordist.com/product/firearm-foley-hd-pro/