Save the smoke grenade or there it goes

Comments

• -SD-AndyPwned112-SD-AndyPwned112 Posts: 5Player
    SithHunter wrote: »
    [TOS Violation] smoke grenades :p
    People just use them to lag me out :) If they fix the performance issues that smoke creates id say keep it

It's just how smokes are in FPS games, they must do that in order to be displayed properly to all players looking at them, no matter the distance/angle/etc.

but the only problem i have is that in either counter strike , insurgency or bf4 the smoke works perfectly without impacting on my performance , so obviously some optimisation is in order for the smoke in AA
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 454Player

but the only problem i have is that in either counter strike , insurgency or bf4 the smoke works perfectly without impacting on my performance , so obviously some optimisation is in order for the smoke in AA

I suspect performance issues and it's exploitability when standing within the smoke is the reason they removed it to begin with.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • super6-1super6-1 Posts: 100Player
    I missed something, why'd they pull smokes anyway? I'm all for keeping them, maybe limit 2/per so we don't get players carrying 4 smokes :3
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    Got a question I'd like to have answered. The smoke was already in the game, why mess with that??? Really whats the point? People either used it or didn't, don't take the option away. Just put it back.

• DeltaKiloDeltaKilo Posts: 146Developer
    Smokes were removed for two reasons:
    1. performance - the spewing of particles is a bigger hit on performance than the one "poof" of smoke and having them not last as long reduces the number of particles on screen at a time
    2. seeing through them by rotating when they are on edge of screen - this was possible because the particles were modified to improve performance on the original smoke, but it let people see through them when they shouldn't be able to

We may be able to fix the issue with rotating and reduce the number of particles to increase performance in the future to bring them back, but we feel like the game is better for now without them until we can get them working better.
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    edited May 2015
    tl;dr
    -
    I get why they were taken out. A lot of the trouble would be alleviated by everyone only having the option to carry 1 instead of two. Kinda a no brainer.
    -
    Smokes are integral parts of strategy. 5v5 inner hospital without smokes will be nearly impossible for assault. I imagine the lack of smokes will make this almost unplayable for euro's given their preferred format of 5v5.
    -
    There were so many other ways to indirectly increase performance by limiting the number of smoke grenades on the battlefield.
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    Both, smokes and fogs, should be available because of different game styles and tactical scenarios, specially in competitions.

Both smoke and fog should be available. It should be up to the player to use what they wish and suits their style.
    IMO
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    Thanks for you reply DeltaKilo. I think there are still two options as long as you are working on an improved smoke grenade.
    -
    1. Keep smoke grenades serversided available
    2. Create an alternative smoke based on the FOG machanism that takes longer to deploy, produces more sound and remains longer then the FOG itself. So basically a Smoke that just looks like a different FOG
    -
    Like AgentE382 said, we should get the best possible smokes that are feasible. Furthermore -eKComm.iog made a point on Hospital that I can not evaluate, but I can say the same for ArcticNight or Border.
    Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
    eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !
  • intoXicatedintoXicated Posts: 12Player
    edited May 2015
    Smokes have another additional small advantage. You can throw them further while Fog spray in the air when thrown as far as you can.

Both have various application and both are needed to diversify the gameplay. The choice should belong to the player even if he using them (FOG/SMOKE) wrong.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    i understand the technical reasons they were removed. since no fix can be made quickly, then i suggest for the meantime the devs should implement a 2nd type of fog that has a longer fuse so it can be thrown further before bursting, and a longer duration. a stopgap until the day comes the devs can rework the smoke properly. limit it to one per to balance the choice between it and the 2 normal fogs...

• SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    edited May 2015
    i understand the technical reasons they were removed. since no fix can be made quickly, then i suggest for the meantime the devs should implement a 2nd type of fog that has a longer fuse so it can be thrown further before bursting, and a longer duration. a stopgap until the day comes the devs can rework the smoke properly. limit it to one per to balance the choice between it and the 2 normal fogs...

Yes, this idea is perfect. It is enough to copy current fog grenade as a smoke grenade and switch the time and volume values.

But still the new fog/smoke should not be limited to one per player. It should be still 2 smokes to choose.
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 454Player
    edited May 2015
    The original smoke was much like the fog we have now except it lasted longer and made noise. They then introduced a new smoke that wouldnt affect people's FPS much, the new smoke was terrible and you could exploit it by standing within it.

With the improvements to the FPS draining HUD, and overall optimizations, why not give the "original" smoke another whirl? Before you had multiple elements killing one's FPS, now it would only be the smoke.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • SSKbartSSKbart Posts: 125Player
    the only problem I see with the old fog is that it was very good, in competition we limited the amount of those by 2, I think 4 of those per player is too much, if we want those back, do the same as nades, you can pick them in the first or the 2nd nade slot, but not in both.
    SNLSTB.Bart^
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    IO_i_OI wrote: »
    Keep smokes and FOG as is, or give us the M203 launcher or the newer M320. It does not make sense to remove a proven mechanism in a game. I think most gamers want more not less. More weapons, more levels, more bosses, etc.

Some of you guys sound like you want AA to be a Civil War game or degrade us to bows and arrows with ACOG. Boring.

There are no vanilla maps suitable for M320, so I'd say that best option would be to keep smokes but tie the nade loadout to classes.

Did you forget the "infamous" Bridge?? That map needs everything! :p
    googley avatar aapg

• -=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI--=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI- Posts: 126Beta Tester
    Keep smokes and FOG as is, or give us the M203 launcher or the newer M320. It does not make sense to remove a proven mechanism in a game. I think most gamers want more not less. More weapons, more levels, more bosses, etc.

Some of you guys sound like you want AA to be a Civil War game or degrade us to bows and arrows with ACOG. Boring.

There are no vanilla maps suitable for M320, so I'd say that best option would be to keep smokes but tie the nade loadout to classes.

Did you forget the "infamous" Bridge?? That map needs everything! :p

...including some c4 around the base to "fix" it :)

• Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    Who is 'we' cause everyone I've spoken too hates the idea of removing smokes. It's part of the game and has been for 10+years? Now because some people have issues with the performance we have to remove it? I had issues with AA3 cause it was garbage, nobody removed that (hehe)

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited May 2015
    Who is 'we' cause everyone I've spoken too hates the idea of removing smokes. It's part of the game and has been for 10+years? Now because some people have issues with the performance we have to remove it? I had issues with AA3 cause it was garbage, nobody removed that (hehe)

Some people have issues with the performance? More like some people don't have issues with the performance...
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    some people complained the smokes were causing lag. i don't get that myself. but i'd say limiting them would help. it's really sad when you allow a whole team to smoke... actually, when there's only one enemy left, i throw smoke to hurt my teammates' frame rate so i can increase my chances of getting that last kill myself... is that wrong?

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It's not just about the performance (it's actually mainly not about the performance). It's about HOW smokes are used and the way they can be cheesed and break the intended flow of a level. With the round times VS the smoke times we just ran in to a lot of situations where design wasn't happy with how smoke was playing out.

It's obviously not final yet, just something we are playing around with.