Netcode changes and questions w/ Dev Kartigan

Comments

• -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    Kartigan wrote: »
    @twitchr

You are free to adjust it, as it has been adjustable. Testing showed slightly improved viewed rotation rates at higher values, but not much else. If you or your players notice any benefits with higher rates, let us know

I have used these settings in the games engine ini for sometime with a server hosted by lowping, I never had any issues with lag and members and friends say they notice a pretty significant drop in ping, I personally checked my ping after update, 60 on my server which is way higher then I ever had on my server, with these values changed I get 40 - 45 ping.. I am still higher then ever before on my server but I may have an issue on my internet providers end..

MaxClientRate=25000
    NetServerMaxTickRate=90
    ConfiguredInternetSpeed=20000
    MaxClientRate=15000
    MaxInternetClientRate=15000
    NetServerMaxTickRate=90
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• KartiganKartigan Posts: 84Developer
    @HPX.Dominus

This is also correct. When the recoil sends to a spectator, it will also include any relevant rotation/location changes for that player as they were also sent to the server at the same time.
    @-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy

At home now, but will get you a code verified response tomorrow morning. Pretty sure some of those values are only relevant to LAN and some may be capped in the engine.
  • PredictionPrediction Posts: 132Player
    Today I was playing on ORD22 and my ping for the first match was 60 which is great, game felt smooth my ping did not move from 60. When the match was over and the next match started same server my ping jumped to 72 and started fluctuating and the game felt more choppy is there some logic behind what could of caused this?
    Kartigan wrote: »
    @-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy

At home now, but will get you a code verified response tomorrow morning. Pretty sure some of those values are only relevant to LAN and some may be capped in the engine.

Ok Thankls Kartigan,

I did re-install the update on my server, I took out those value changes and am running it just as is.
    SO now, either lowping is having issues and I sent a ticket in just in case, or something is very wrong. All our pings on the server are doubled even tripled for some, and the lag is very bad. Nice and smooth for a while then everyone starts lagging the same time.. I watch the pings spiking all over the place..

Could just be my server Ill know when my ticked is answered from lowping..

-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

@-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy

Here is some info from looking into the engine code (the PG game has not changed any of this code):

MaxClientRate and MaxInternetClientRate get clamped by the engine once you exceed 16 players.

NetServerMaxTickRate gets clamped by the engine if you are using the demorec feature.

ConfiguredInternetSpeed looks to be the amount of data a client can process per tick.

MaxInternetClientRate needs to be lower than MaxClientRate, or it is ignored. (Also note they are both capped when above 16 players).

Clamped = the engine sets the value to a pre-determined value, not configurable by the server.
  • JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player
    I'm liking the "netcode" update so far! My screen is noticeably clearer now (less screen jitter due to corrections?) and it really helps me with shooting at players from a long distance. Heads are more visible at a longer distance. Even with a 100 ping to SEA server, it feels smooth, as if I'm having a 50 ping. I did notice some actions seems to lag more, such as trying to climb up several crates. Otherwise, most actions are very fluid. Great work!

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    All our pings on the server are doubled even tripled for some, and the lag is very bad. Nice and smooth for a while then everyone starts lagging the same time.. I watch the pings spiking all over the place..

Could just be my server Ill know when my ticked is answered from lowping..

This was posted 8pm CDT for, I believe, a Chicago-hosted server. That's prime internet time in the US and will correspond to the worst latencies and most lost packets.

Here's video traffic according to Google in that time zone; note the peak at 8pm. Some users are forced onto the light blue connection quality (low-def streams) because of the network congestion.

0iYn1fE.png

What you're describing is completely consistent with network issues.
    @Kartigan

Thank you for taking the time to really explain this to me, makes so much sense.. At this time I reset everything back to it's default in the game engine ini, and now I get why I had a good ping until the server filled, makes so much more sense..
    I like it better though in the default settings, seems to be running smoother today.. No lag so far with about 4 hours of server being pretty full, and pings are steady..

@Saccho

Yes, I agree that was a lot of the issue, but to be honest, it was a collage of things lol including me messing with the engine since the update, even though that file was not touched it does seem to work different now with those tweeks.. But I have had this server up in Chicago since March of this year, and Eastern time peak hours never hurt us like yesterday.. Although we have felt the effects of that traffic problem.
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,453Player
    Anyone having server crashes since update ?
    We are both times on Homestead_C4
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • -=DA=-instinks-=DA=-instinks Posts: 11Player
    edited October 2016
    Today I was playing on ORD22 and my ping for the first match was 60 which is great, game felt smooth my ping did not move from 60. When the match was over and the next match started same server my ping jumped to 72 and started fluctuating and the game felt more choppy is there some logic behind what could of caused this?

For what its worth, I am having a lot of issues since the update. My ping has been higher than normal in servers where I regularly play. My ping often fluctuates up or down 5-10 in rapid succession. Friendlies and enemies jump across the map. After killing someone, the enemies' dead body jumps back a few steps before falling to the ground and dying. When I do somehow kill someone, my crosshairs are nowhere close to the person. When my crosshairs are on the person, they don't die. I thought for a day or so I might have been having issues with my internet, but its been pretty persistent like this since the update has released. I'm not usually one to complain, but its a notable difference that has made the game largely unplayable for me.

Any ideas as to why I might be experiencing this Kartigan? I've verified my game cache, reinstalled, restarted my internet countless times, nothing seems to fix. I'm not otherwise having latency issues in any other games, and all latency tests I've done have performed as usual.
    ss_4_-%3DDA%3D-Instinks.png
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Apparently large chunks of the internet were down on Friday, likely resulting in some pretty weird routing issues. Might even be the cause of some of the discos I had :o
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,453Player
    edited October 2016

For what its worth, I am having a lot of issues since the update. My ping has been higher than normal in servers where I regularly play. My ping often fluctuates up or down 5-10 in rapid succession. Friendlies and enemies jump across the map. After killing someone, the enemies' dead body jumps back a few steps before falling to the ground and dying. When I do somehow kill someone, my crosshairs are nowhere close to the person. When my crosshairs are on the person, they don't die. I thought for a day or so I might have been having issues with my internet, but its been pretty persistent like this since the update has released. I'm not usually one to complain, but its a notable difference that has made the game largely unplayable for me.

Any ideas as to why I might be experiencing this Kartigan? I've verified my game cache, reinstalled, restarted my internet countless times, nothing seems to fix. I'm not otherwise having latency issues in any other games, and all latency tests I've done have performed as usual.

There are many players having the same issues you post here including me.

Still on mild warning =)
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,036Moderator
    I guess, by now most have read about the massive ddos attacks against dyndns over the last couple of days, even if the game and its servers are not targeted it might be some collateral damage along the way.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    frankof wrote: »
    I guess, by now most have read about the massive ddos attacks against dyndns over the last couple of days, even if the game and its servers are not targeted it might be some collateral damage along the way.

Yep. It's also why everybody should make sure ***all*** of their networked devices aren't using default logins, have remote admin access disabled if you're not using it, etc.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 292Player
    edited October 2016
    Hey Kartigan,

Thanks for watching the stream last night. I did end up having some issues with the new patch in how it relates to actual hit detection. Playing in a somewhat comp setting last night, i found it much more difficult to land kills. We were playing on a server with all US players, i was pinging around 35(everyone else should be around there) It seems somewhat more disconnect than it used to, I originally thought that I just had too many beers, but reviewed some of the shadowplay footage

It might not be related to the patch, but it feels quite a bit different. May just be the timing/ using patch as scapegoat.
  • .dcG-ccoR^.dcG-ccoR^ Posts: 84Player
    twitchr wrote: »
    Hey Kartigan,

Thanks for watching the stream last night. I did end up having some issues with the new patch in how it relates to actual hit detection. Playing in a somewhat comp setting last night, i found it much more difficult to land kills. We were playing on a server with all US players, i was pinging around 35(everyone else should be around there) It seems somewhat more disconnect than it used to, I originally thought that I just had too many beers, but reviewed some of the shadowplay footage

It might not be related to the patch, but it feels quite a bit different. May just be the timing/ using patch as scapegoat.

I thought my hitreg was bad..Thanks for making feel equal :)
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I didn't do a "BCPull analysis" of that vid, but I see a lot of misses. I watched the round count tick down, too. Also, is it the same OpFor after you pop out of the flag room and did he heal?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 292Player
    edited October 2016
    There are two clips, but on the first one it's the same op4, no heal(other op4 was still north back porch) There were a lot of missed shots, but many that should have hit. The last "non kill" with the op4 on front porch I have zoomed in and the iron sight is directly on his right left eye
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    edited October 2016
    twitchr wrote: »
    There are two clips, but on the first one it's the same op4, no heal(other op4 was still north back porch) There were a lot of missed shots, but many that should have hit. The last "non kill" with the op4 on front porch I have zoomed in and the iron sight is directly on his right left eye

Was the guy you shot at named Lincoln Clay by any chance? I only ask as that dude knows how to survive a head shot.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.