How high should my frames be? GTX 1070

-NFA-Ray-NFA-Ray Posts: 10Player
Hi all,
I have a i7 930@2.8 with 12GB RAM running on windows 7 and recently got a GTX 1070 8GB. I also have a GTX 760 for physx and even on the lowest settings with optional graphical options off i drop down to 70fps, this doesn't seem normal as people claim to get a lot more fps on older hardware and i was wondering if this is normal? or is there an obvious reason why i am getting such low frames? Am i expecting to much from my hardware?

Please keep the answers civilised as i am just trying to trouble shoot my computer not argue the validity of higher frames.

Thank you for reading this and any help you can provide.

Comments

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,036Moderator
    try dropping the settings as low as you can, including resolution.
    Also, enable pysx in the ini files.
    AAEngine.ini, (Engine.engine) section, "bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=True", change to false.
    Also make sure the nvidia settings are set to reflect a dedicated physx card.

As for how high you should be able to go, thats a tough one, the 930 at stock clock is only ticking at 2.8Ghz, the UE3 engine scales well with clock rate.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • -NFA-Ray-NFA-Ray Posts: 10Player
    frankof wrote: »
    try dropping the settings as low as you can, including resolution.
    Also, enable pysx in the ini files.
    AAEngine.ini, (Engine.engine) section, "bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=True", change to false.
    Also make sure the nvidia settings are set to reflect a dedicated physx card.

As for how high you should be able to go, thats a tough one, the 930 at stock clock is only ticking at 2.8Ghz, the UE3 engine scales well with clock rate.

Ok will give it a go, i know the clock rate is low but its a quad core with hyper threading shame clock speed is more important. I would have taken a different road with the cpu in retrospect.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    older hardware sure, but not that old.. this game is highly cpu dependent, and that cpu just doesnt cut it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    older hardware sure, but not that old.. this game is highly cpu dependent, and that cpu just doesnt cut it
    You have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 293Player
    Agreed with Doba, this game is very CPU dependant. the 2 PC's in my house are an i5-2500k (at 3.3 gHz) with a GTX970, gets about 95-140 frames usually. The other PC is an i5-4790k(3.6 gHz OC) with an old ATI R9 270 which gets over 150fps constantly. Same settings, same resolution.

The GTX 970 should be blowing the R9 270 out of the water, but alas, the CPU holds it back somehow
    twitchr wrote: »
    Agreed with Doba, this game is very CPU dependant. the 2 PC's in my house are an i5-2500k (at 3.3 gHz) with a GTX970, gets about 95-140 frames usually. The other PC is an i5-4790k(3.6 gHz OC) with an old ATI R9 270 which gets over 150fps constantly. Same settings, same resolution.

The GTX 970 should be blowing the R9 270 out of the water, but alas, the CPU holds it back somehow

Agreed but a turbo 3.06 GHz quad core is nothing to scoff at. Maybe the game is just poorly optimised for multi-core processors.
    -NFA-Ray wrote: »
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

teehee

Ok i disabled hyper threading and overclocked to 3.6ghz with no issue. Will see if the game runs better.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Yep. First thing that caught my eye was your processor. I had a GTX780 and went to a 980ti plus the 780 non-SLI. Still running fairly similar frame rates due to my 4790K processor. (The vid card changes made a BIG difference in rendering in Blender though...!)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .dcG-ccoR^.dcG-ccoR^ Posts: 84Player

Interested to see what type of performance you get with the 4790k and 970. In theory, you should be getting higher fps then what the 270 is pushing..
    -NFA-Ray wrote: »
    Maybe the game is just poorly optimised for multi-core processors.
    The engine is old, the game has two main threads, if the scheduling allows, they can be executed on their own core, so basically you will see diminishing result by adding more cores above 3.
    IPC is more important together with clock rate than more cores.
    ss_4_frankof.png
    .dcG-ccoR^ wrote: »

Interested to see what type of performance you get with the 4790k and 970. In theory, you should be getting higher fps then what the 270 is pushing..

well thats my combo, Im capped and hold 170 on most maps

• .dcG-ccoR^.dcG-ccoR^ Posts: 84Player

12v12 maps too?
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I wonder if playing at 1440p is what's making me sit at 130-140. I NEVER see those high fps unless I'm looking into low detail close areas. But.....maybe I'm a FLO guy.....I never check on the small maps 'cause I'm too busy killin' Duke_Audi on my server.............LOL.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

12v12 maps too?

Obviously depending which ones.. some have spots where it falls

Ok well im locked at 100fps atm so im very happy, thank you for all the help.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    I wonder if playing at 1440p is what's making me sit at 130-140. I NEVER see those high fps unless I'm looking into low detail close areas. But.....maybe I'm a FLO guy.....I never check on the small maps 'cause I'm too busy killin' Duke_Audi on my server.............LOL.
    1920x1080=2073600 pixels
    2560x1440=3686400 pixels

It takes a lot of power to use all those extra pixels, expect to drop something like 30% going from 1080 to 1440
    (no, i havnt done the exact math)
    ss_4_frankof.png