Can't Open a Saved Map ... Name is Blank

Trying to edit a map I built in the Mission Editor a couple of months ago (32 and 64 same behavior) but the name is blank in open dialog and it won't open. I am able to open it in the Full Editor using the filename ... but that's not an option in the Mission Editor. Other maps I've made open fine.

What did I do wrong?

Seems like some .ini file somewhere is out of sync.

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,560Beta Tester
    Can you SEE the map name in the Mission Editor, but not select it, or you can't even see it in the list?

I'm suspicious that you may have moved stuff from the default file path, and the Advanced Ed can see it because you can move around in the directory structure easier.

? Maybe
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • {IRISH}Maximus{IRISH}Maximus Posts: 45Player
    Thanks for the response!

I can't see the map name in the list of files ... there's a row for it with the date it was last edited, etc., but the map name is blank. When I select the row with the blank name, and click Open, it doesn't open.

I haven't moved anything (at least not on purpose).

Also when I created a new map today, it saved with a blank name too ... just like the broken one ... it has a row in the open dialog with the date last saved, but the name is blank. This new one I can open.
    How can a file show no name but still have a date? That's the weirdest situation on a computer I may ever have heard of! Well....why use the Mission Editor?

I might recommend a "Verify Game Cache" on your AAPG files, after deleting all ini files in "Config" (which will require a complete set up after.....)

First...Can I ask where the maps are in the directory structure? Can you navigate there in Windows Explorer and sleuth around a bit? Check files properties and stuff?

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 626Player
    edited September 2016
    map has to have a name , flo_test.umap or bdx_whatever.umap , it helps to put it in the right place in all the editor files, you can change the name after , even if you have a umap file saved in your documents directory name it something

full editor will find it as its umap file, basic editor wont as its coded to be more precise with files
    Do you mean a file name, or a world info name, Lobo?
    ______

So it seems like the the thing in the mission editor that associates pretty names to filenames is confused. Any idea how to fix that? Or should I give up on the Mission Editor and just learn how to do everything in the full editor :)
    edited September 2016
    Honestly, I'd really like you to describe this issue more, because it's kinda 'way out there' :p

What the heck is a 'pretty name?' There's no aliasing that I know of.
    ______

edited September 2016
    Verified the game cache ... didn't change the behavior.

Files for the maps are in folders under
    C:\Users\Francus\Documents\My Games\America's Army Proving Grounds\AAGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Maps\MissionEditor\Saves

Under this folder the folder names seem to be the name I gave the map when I created it. e.g., My Map Name, the name of the umap in the folder looks like
    bdx_MyMapName_EX.umap

The file ownership/security is the same for the broken ones as it is for the working ones.

Moved all the *.ini files out of the Config directory and let the Mission Editor re-create them ... didn't change the behavior.

Very nicely done post, and very interesting behaviour. I understand what you're saying now, but.....that's weird! :o

I'll go look at the mission Ed...
    ______

I've been messing with this and I'm seeing the same issue. Trying to reproduce it now. There seems to be an issue with how many folders or maps in \MissionEditor\Saves causing a crash too. Very weird.
    ______

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 626Player
    how many maps /folders , because ive got about 50 odd maps in my saves
    edited September 2016
    Like 4 maps in my saves directory ... I'm no where near that prolithic :)

Here's the open dialog ...
    sovhjp.png

Here's the Saves directory ...
    apgp4x.png
    I thought for sure that if I edited the mission info in the advanced editor I'd see it fix itself when I went back to the Mission Editor. Nope.

In fact, I'm not quite sure what is going on. Thanks for bringing this up!!
    ______

• StackEmUp!StackEmUp! Posts: 145Player
    edited September 2016
    The map names that are showing blank....have no "meta" files. It looks as though the regular editor can't see a map unless it has a meta file. Did you try opening and then saving the map in the advanced editor, this should create a meta file for the map?

Edit: The meta file is only created after publishing the map.
    But I have found that it is the missing meta file, causing this "no show" issue in the small editor.
    After publishing, the map name began to show in the small editor again.
    Sounds like a bug!!! Thanks Hawk!
    ______

edited September 2016
    So I created the metadata file manually by copying the .metadata file from a working map and editing it ...

Here's the contents of the MaxGrinder-v1b1.metadata file which I can open in the Mission Editor:
    PublishedFileId=698984693
    ItemTitle=MaxGrinder-v1b1

Using notepad I created MaxVertical-v1b1.metadata in the same directory with flo_MaxVerticalv1b1.umap ... C:\Users\Franklin R. Marra\Documents\My Games\America's Army Proving Grounds\AAGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Maps\MissionEditor\Saves\MaxVertical-v1b1.

Here's the content of my handmade MaxVertical-v1b1.metadata:
    PublishedFileId=
    ItemTitle=MaxVertical-v1b1

And Voila! I can see open and edit MaxVertical-v1b1 in the Mission Editor again! B)

Thanks (Beer_me)lobo, Keebler750, and {NWO}Hawk for helping with this!

BTW ... I left the PublishedFileId blank (it isn't published yet) is that going to cause a problem later?
    Oops! I spoke too soon!

Since manually making .metadata file MaxVertical-v1b1 does show up in the Open dialog in the Mission Editor, but it still doesn't open in the Mission Editor.

When you open a saved map you would normally get a windows dialog with a progress bar that says its reading the .umap, etc. ... I get nothing. :(

So I'm still having a problem with the Mission Editor.

Maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and learn the Full Editor. ;)
    Max you may have another problem, if I remember correctly testing last night, I was able to open a map with the no name problem in the small editor just fine. I'll do some more digging tonight.
    This is interesting. If we can hammer out exact repro, the Devs will be able to fix it. Thanks!
    ______

Well this seems to work for me:
    Copy another maps .meta file into your maps folder. Edit the fields like you did Max, but don't leave the
    "PublishedFileId=" blank, I used nine zeros.

This is what mine looks like, and it opens just fine now:

PublishedFileId=000000000
    ItemTitle=Interdiction

After working on your map in the regular editor, when your ready to publish, you could always delete the custom made .meta file, open the map in the full editor and publish, which should create the real .meta file it needs.

Keebler, it's looking to be like I said, if a map hasn't been published (meta file created), then the regular editor doesn't recognize the map in order to open it. Should be a simple fix for the Dev's:)