AAPG First Released Three Years Ago

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    What are we gonna see from this "net code update"

Kartigan will go into great detail when it's time, but the short version is a highly optimized netcode, smoother performance. Kartigan recently likened it to "500 ping will feel as smooth at 150 used to" as an example of what a difference this is making.
    The netcode is being slimmed down a lot, it's extremely noticeable. I won't go on because I can't speak to it nearly as good as he can.

I mean we've seen net code updates in past sit reps and that's about as far as we felt them.. here's to hope.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • iDK.ArkeiroiDK.Arkeiro Posts: 775Player
    Is dalton behind any of this? The one and only D@lton to report fake fps and bad netcodes.

Over 2k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    There's never been a netcode rework like this done before on our game. This is major stuff.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Is dalton behind any of this? The one and only D@lton to report fake fps and bad netcodes.

Dalton is the motivation for everything I do. He's the reason I wake up in the mornings.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• GunR|DrerexGunR|Drerex Posts: 65Player
    Thank you for your hard work! Always look forward to what is around the corner with AA.
    Untitled_zpsqiypm7mn.png

• {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player
    edited August 2016
    If its as good as you say i'm looking forward to that netcode patch. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed anyway.

Edit: any chance you got a timeline for the update? month? couple months?
    Edit 2: I bet its "soon" :awesome:
  • =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    edited August 2016
    Kartigan will go into great detail when it's time, but the short version is a highly optimized netcode, smoother performance. Kartigan recently likened it to "500 ping will feel as smooth at 150 used to" as an example of what a difference this is making.
    The netcode is being slimmed down a lot, it's extremely noticeable. I won't go on because I can't speak to it nearly as good as he can.

Really looking forward to this update... If it's effective, it could be REALLY beneficial to the state of the game. We appreciate the you, Devs!
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    edited August 2016
    We can all appreciate the efforts your team has made to make this game better. It's easy to give up and the team had no desire to do that. Who knows what is next, but thanks for the listening to the good and putting up with the bad.

It sounds like a contract is about up and something is about to be shaken up.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • -=[DISF]=-Max-=[DISF]=-Max Posts: 250Player
    Thanks for your excellent work!
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 337Player
    edited August 2016

I'm all about netcode performance increase, but the 500 ping is definitely scary. Someone thats 500 ping away away would be over 1 second round trip from button press to actual action. I'm concerned that this will effect the low ping players.... and make the game more like a rubber band. BUT, i'm willing to wait and see what it actually feels like before calling shenanigans.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 337Player
    edited August 2016
    Saccho wrote: »
    fgn_denial wrote: »
    comp
    Large games grow comp scenes. Comp scenes don't grow games. Many people are in denial about that.

Theres a decent news story this morning on NPR about Blizzards (Dev's mentioned game, Overwatch) challenge to make a competitive game, and a huge game. They rambled about some very competitive games, that didn't make it big. And the many big online games, that never made it competitive. Link to it here: http://www.npr.org/2016/08/31/492057159/how-1-video-game-is-trying-to-make-the-leap-to-esport
    Saccho wrote: »
    fgn_denial wrote: »
    comp
    This post was a nice reminder of the development podcasts when we got a chance to look inside the machine and hear some of the thoughts behind the design choices; I miss those. It's too bad they didn't get higher viewership.
    I would love to see those podcasts again. Tot's did say there was going to be more.... but that was last November........
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited August 2016
    I think the main thing there is that one the keys to success are that a game is fun to play and watch. If a game isn't all that interesting to watch, then it's a much harder sell if you want to get to that level regardless of how competitive it is. However, I honestly would never expect an AA game to get to the level of CS or CoD anyway (and I'm sure most AA comp players would agree with that). Even as popular as AA2 was and with how big its comp scene was, it never had a major money tournament (whereas CS was having them way back in 2000/2001). Maybe in today's gaming landscape with AA2's popularity it could have had some tournaments, but I still doubt it would be to the level of those other games.

In terms of eSports earnings in general... Out of the top 10 pay outs in eSports for 2016 four were FPS games (CS #2, Halo 5 #5, Black Ops 3 #8, Overwatch #10). Overwatch was at 366K, the #9 game was $1.5M. The big money right now is in Dota 2 either way ($31.1M in 2016 vs $9.7M for CS). Once you get out of that top 10, you're not really on that same level as those other games.

All of the big money right now is in MOBA anyway. Dota (31.1M), LoL (4.2M), HoS ($2.8M), Smite (1.7M). I've been playing FPS games for over two decades now and I tend to find myself not all that interested in watching FPS matches (could just be me). If I had a choice between a Dota match and a CS/AA/etc. match, i'll take Dota.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    Happy Belated Birthday AAPG!!! HOOAH!!!

It has been a great three years! Thank you to all those who work so hard to make this such a great game..

Looking forward to the next three years!!!

Keep up the good work!!
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 580Player
    edited August 2016
    I'm just a year old and really enjoy the community! Thank you Devs, Beta testers and all map makers.
  • KodenKoden Posts: 284Player
    You needed a long awaited permission to change the 3rd person view on dead bodies back in the beta O_O? Wow. I feel kind of sorry for you then.

I'm a bit concerned about how far this will affect data used by the spectator view (and maybe voip comms). Smoother performance...that would be definitely hugely appreciates.
    Derob6.jpg
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    I'm all about netcode performance increase, but the 500 ping is definitely scary. Someone thats 500 ping away away would be over 1 second round trip from button press to actual action.
    Ping is roundtrip time, so 500ms ping is less than 250ms away.
    Its still pretty high tho, and i dont really say its a good idea to play a server with that high latency.

ss_4_frankof.png
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    This is the only (Steam) game I actively play so it is nice to see that it is not neglected. It has been a real fun journey and thanks for all the great work, devs!

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • When I started playing, we were calling the game AAO, and I still talk about it this way! ;)
    I was 77 or 78 when I needed a change and stop playing.
    I tried AA 3 but it was too different.
    Then I found AAPG beta and it was really fun to play, with a great community!
    Sure, I miss some of the AA2 content like trainings, medic, IF,... (if you are looking for something "new" to add o:) ) but it still is a great fps game, for me one of the most balanced.

I'm wainting to see the next improvment and the new maps, it's always refreshing to learn them :)

So thanks for everything you did ans still do and please, don't stop ! :3
  • AvgusteAvguste Posts: 125Player
    Definitely good to read all the progress made, however it would be even better to make a post and indicate what are the coming changes. Also is there going to be an AA4? And if yes what would the thought process be for AA4? stay with current AA3 type play or get back to the roots of AA?

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    edited September 2016
    Definitely good to read all the progress made, however it would be even better to make a post and indicate what are the coming changes. Also is there going to be an AA4? And if yes what would the thought process be for AA4? stay with current AA3 type play or get back to the roots of AA?

This current game IS technically AA4, and I don't know too many people who would compare this gameplay to AA3.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.