What Do WE Want See in the Next Version of America’s Army?

4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
We all remember this (in)famous thread:
http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5615&sid=f5f95abaebedbbee20d9d7fe612ed658

Well, I say we start one now for AA5. My hypothesis is that AA5 is in production. The amount of content/feature updates since the game went live in October 2015 has been slower (practically non-existent) than at any other point in development. I could be completely wrong, and I expect no dev to confirm or deny. In any sense, it'd be fun. So let's have at it.

All items in these lists should be specific. No "Make it like AA2" responses. I'll try to consolidate the list on this first post. Maybe when we get to a solid big list, we can make a vote on it as well.
You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 580Player
    Hello people from 2018-2020 browsing the archives!
  • ^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0-TTV^^MAROFEL.ANDR!C0-TTV^ Posts: 854Player
    edited August 2016
    I would say, the option to pick between a male or female soldier the same way we pick the uniform and weapon skins now. That makes the game more interested instead of hated by most of the game media.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It's important to remember AA isn't the only thing we do at the Army Game Studio. As a matter of fact, it's far from the only thing! We make a lot of projects, some of it bigger than AA. From some of the most complex and realistic training simulations all the way to mobile apps and VR/AR, we're always working on a lot of exciting tech.

AA5 is not in production/preproduction at this time. It's not even certain that the next AA game would be a FPS. Every day the Army is becoming less and less about boots on the ground shooting and more about STEM fields.
    Who knows the next AA could be anything from a robotics sim to an RTS, a medical trainer to a story driven single player / co op campaign saga.
    Being a f2p game is no longer novel, and being a f2p shooter doubly so.

There is a lot of talk internally about the future of AA and it's all very exciting, don't box yourself in with one genre or nostalgia from previous versions.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    I'll start:

1. Required training - Needed to unlock pretty much everything in the game. The training should be educational, engaging, and fun. It should start from basic and work its way up. Introduce people to various divisions and infantry units within the Army with training specific to that unit.

People should be allowed to play the game without training, but stats don't log and they can't use anything except a basic load out.

2. Defined/unique roles - Each role should be more than a weapon change. They should have unique gadgets or special abilities of some sort.

3. Unique players/stats - I'm thinking something along the line where people can put a preset amount of points towards their player in order to craft their player to how they want to play. You can have all sorts of things. Movement speed, action speed, steadiness, accuracy sighted, accuracy unsighted, bravery (how much events/things occurring around the soldier effect them), leadership (their presence can positively impact their teammates), etc.

4. More weapons - Even if we have to go into the past for US standard issue weapons (with OpFor counterparts), it'd be nice.

5. More attachments - Front attachments especially. The game needs them badly. The more variety the better.

6. Ranked mode of some sort. Even if matchmaking comes later down the line.

7. A more interesting enemy - Czervanians haven't worked in two games now. Give us terrorists (and indigenous forces) back.

8. A working tournament mode - self explanatory. Competitive games should be easy to setup out of the box.

9. Better aiming system - Breath & short stop at the top & bottom of the cycle. No more hold breath auto win nonsense. Penalties for actions should be more harsh. Long range shooting should be more difficult. Sniping should be extremely difficult while not mounted with a bipod.

10. Better Mounting - Should only work with bipods. Bipods have a cost of folding and unfolding.

11. Map specific load outs - While I'm fine with some maps having more freedom, others should be restricted. Available weapons, classes, grenade counts, etc should be based on each map. Overloading maps with scopes is

12. Maps - Bring back the most popular maps from AA2, AA3, AAPG. Then add other maps as you go.

13. Shooting metrics - I actually like AAPG's, some may disagree. Recoil, unsighted firing are all good IMO. Although you'd have to work with the point system mentioned above so that there'd be a cone even for sighted fire depending on the person's sighted accuracy ability.

14. Movement metrics - AAPG's are also pretty top notch here, keep them.

15. In game browser/menu - From day 1.

16. Squads - Bring it back

17. No BDX/FLO or anything like that. Make some maps bigger, some maps smaller, let server admins decide which they want to play. Let competitive players decide which maps are good for comp. Let server admins decide on the size of their server. Etc.

18. Medic system - Make the medic system work for living players, not incapacitated players. No revives, please. I know some will fight me on this, but revives hurt the game.
    TheTots wrote: »
    It's important to remember AA isn't the only thing we do at the Army Game Studio. As a matter of fact, it's far from the only thing! We make a lot of projects, some of it bigger than AA. From some of the most complex and realistic training simulations all the way to mobile apps and VR/AR, we're always working on a lot of exciting tech.
    That's really cool, but we as the public don't get to see them :awesome:
    AA5 is not in production/preproduction at this time. It's not even certain that the next AA game would be a FPS. Every day the Army is becoming less and less about boots on the ground shooting and more about STEM fields.
    Who knows the next AA could be anything from a robotics sim to an RTS, a medical trainer to a story driven single player / co op campaign saga.
    Being a f2p game is no longer novel, and being a f2p shooter doubly so.

There is a lot of talk internally about the future of AA and it's all very exciting, don't box yourself in with one genre or nostalgia from previous versions.
    If AA5 isn't currently in production, then the slowdown for AAPG is a sad thing unless the Dev team decides it's going to surprise us with a huge content patch at some point. Makes you wonder if the public game is pretty much being abandoned.

For the next game, I'm not sure what you'd find that can be successful. A robotics sim or medical trainer would be neat, but I'm not sure how many people would bother with one. RTS is practically a dead genre (sadly, because I love it). A story driven game would be fun, but let's be honest, you'd talking about making a game that'd need to be at least 10-20 hours and unless it's a choice based RPG won't have a ton of replayability.

Of course you could go in another route for AA5 (or whatever) and make it more of a grand scale game (like battlefield) rather than squad based. That'd make it more so you could incorporate a lot more of the newer technology that the Army is working with.
  • GunR|DrerexGunR|Drerex Posts: 65Player
    Direct X 12
    Untitled_zpsqiypm7mn.png

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    edited August 2016
    I can still pull from my existing list quite frankly:

Things to Add
    Training required before entering multi-player. (Still waiting)
    Server - player rank filtering (like AA2)/Competitive matchmaking
    Priority players (Server owners/Clan members)
    Ping/Latency requirements
    A minimum of 10 maps upon release with 1-2 additional per month
    Expected milestones (feature release dates)
    Let the game handle gaming and provide a data portal (website) to provide the stats (Better in AAPG, but still needs more)
    Tournament/league/ladder/Clan skirmish scheduling via web portal.
    A new forum system - Not a fan of this one
    Map making tool (successful maps updated and included in the game after approval from devs) (Done pretty well in AAPG)
    Community events (Getting better with this in AAPG)
    Team logos on uniform/helmet or something creative like that. (clan/character-player identification needs improved)
    Bring some of the realism back into the game. It doesn't have to be all out, but movement penalties for damage take would be a fabulous start.
    Direct X 12

Things not to Add
    I do not want to see any sort of re-spawn feature in multi-player
    BDX/FLO was a bad idea, better map design will eliminate the need for this
    Iron out ADS/recoil inconsistencies and make it easier to use and understand, while maintaining skill necessary to fire.

Things to consider
    Performance should be #1 priority
    Network consistency #2
    Heavy community interaction on the development this time around - more focused on actually implementing the feedback suggested this time around
    Graphical improvements - AAPG is too cartoony/arcadey
    More frequent intermittent patches
    AA has managed to separate itself from other games in terms of actual game-play. Don't lose that touch by following the lead of other games. (They actually did this with AAPG)
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited August 2016
    BTW, you can incorporate some of the STEM stuff with gadgets and maybe "commander" type team abilities. Training for these gadgets gives you more of an insight on the scientific/engineering aspects of these things. Gives insight into those aspects of the Army.

Actually commander abilities could be cool if they're done right. Maybe each team can have multiple at their disposal, but can only choose one to use per round. You can get certain types depending on if you're attack or defend. Not sure exactly what would be available, but it's an idea.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    We are definitely not abandoning AAPG, I'm sorry if I gave that impression! Most of what we're working on isn't ready to talk about yet, but one thing I will mention is Dev Kartigan's deep dive into our netcode. He is really making some amazing improvements. Slimmer, faster, better, improved tick rates, etc. That's the foundation on which other things are building. Once those other things are more concrete I'll start talking about those too!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited August 2016
    Any future AA title not being a multiplayer FPS?! Blasphemous!

63601197.jpg
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• {4F}DeadlyGrouse{4F}DeadlyGrouse Posts: 277Player
    edited August 2016
    We are definitely not abandoning AAPG, I'm sorry if I gave that impression! Most of what we're working on isn't ready to talk about yet, but one thing I will mention is Dev Kartigan's deep dive into our netcode. He is really making some amazing improvements. Slimmer, faster, better, improved tick rates, etc. That's the foundation on which other things are building. Once those other things are more concrete I'll start talking about those too!

This sounds very promising.
    If your working on improving AAPG instead of starting with a new project entirely or at least a completely different taste of AA, it isn't going to work.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 337Player
    edited August 2016
    AA5 is not in production/preproduction at this time.

Well... this makes me sad. Maybe we could crowdfund a true AA2 sequel since the army doesn't care about it anymore? I bet it would actually do well, just have to call it something else. AA2 style gameplay in UE4 would be amazing. I'm sure there would be legal action, so would have to do it somewhat with "no assoc with the army"
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    edited August 2016
    In regards to the flaws of this game gameplay wise, which are the ones that matter the most to me, changing to UE4 would make no difference only more bells and whistles.
    I rather see this one being polished and getting closer to a winning formula before jumping into new projects repeating the same mistakes. Its not like the game can get any "deader" so its a low stakes situation, they should try new things and see what works and what doesn't.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited August 2016
    In regards to the flaws of this game gameplay wise, which are the ones that matter the most to me, changing to UE4 would make no difference only more bells and whistles.
    I rather see this one being polished and getting closer to a winning formula before jumping into new projects repeating the same mistakes. Its not like the game can get any "deader" so its a low stakes situation, they should try new things and see what works and what doesn't.

It's not dead, just the good weather!
    So is that implying that when winter comes around AAPG will get some obscure number, like 2000+ players?
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    No idea but it's raining at my place so I'm positive we'll soon see the numbers increasing again.
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    When everything is cold and gloomy the game might not appear as bad in comparison so I believe it.
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester

Ok I can breath now!!! Thank you for clearing that up haha!!! I was like, nooooOOOOOOOOO lol
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    America's Army: Enemy Unknown
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS