For the love of everything that is good

Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
STOP FORCING PEOPLE TO DOWNLOAD ALL UMMS OF A SERVER BEFORE JOINING A SERVER EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE MAP THE SERVER IS CURRENTLY RUNNING.
http://www.strawpoll.me/10784938

Comments

• IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    The biggest drawback to playing UMM. They also need to build in some sort of super compression.
    googley avatar aapg

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited July 2016
    Agreed. A lot of servers also have maps on the server that are hardly ever played. You could be downloading maps that you'll never play because the server has it just in case they feel like whipping it out one day. It's a poor system right now. You should have two options.

1. Download all maps on server
    2. Download each map only when played (Note: May cause you miss time at the beginning of the match)

Can even throw in a third, fourth, and fifth:
    3. Download the next X maps on the server rotation.
    4. Download each map only when played, download any remaining maps after session ends.
    5. Download maps while playing (at reduced bandwidth).

#4 would let a player play the maps, but then after they're done playing the game continues to download the rest of the map pack.
    #5. Would allow you to download while you play, but at a slow download rate. I guess what you could do here is just set a max ping (let's say 100) for a player and then have the game automatically adjust the download rate if the ping is above or below that number.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Pvt.Phushi wrote: »

I still say have an option. Some people would rather have all of the maps so they don't have to worry about downloading them between map loads.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    This is just the way it has to work with moving launcher functionality in game. Afraid poll or no poll this is just the way it is.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

That doesn't make much sense. Many games with in game launchers allow for map downloading on a per map basis.
    Doesn't need to make sense, is what it is

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Thug Life = Tots

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    Doesn't need to make sense, is what it is
    So I am no longer playing a single UMM because of this. Atleast there was a loophole before - using the console "open" one could bypass the mass download. Now you fixed that very useful "bug". Think of it - do you want UMM community to grow? Sorry for being angry, just saying what I think.
    edited July 2016
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Pvt.Phushi wrote: »

I still say have an option. Some people would rather have all of the maps so they don't have to worry about downloading them between map loads.

Yes you are right, I made the poll before I saw your comment.
    For all those 37 people who voted "force download all maps in server", are you just Tots reopening/closing Incognito mode and voting again? If not, I would like to know an reason you voted like that.
    It wasn't me! THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN

• =IK=El.Jefe=IK=El.Jefe Posts: 72Player
    Lol
  • =IK=El.Jefe=IK=El.Jefe Posts: 72Player
    They aren't going to change it and your poll allows one to vote multiple times so it is not credible. I hate downloading 30 maps to join a server too. In most cases it persuades me to not join the server. When I play in umm servers I always suggest to the admins to keep only 5 or so maps in their list at a time. I figure it's the only happy medium solution.
    Haha tots.
    So the problem is a technical one and cannot be fixed? Looks like I can no longer play UMMs then :(
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Why is that? Do you have a bandwidth restriction or something..

How large of a file would say a 20 map DL be anyway ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    If they be 100-200MB each (most are around about them kinda figures).. your looking at 1-2GB :)

For me to download 2GB takes like a minute or two at the most, but someone who's not so lucky with the old DL speed, it guess it could take anything between 10 mins up to a hour..

I see how it's an issue, but it's probably the best way with the system we have and according to Totskie.. the only way. Gotta suck it up I guess.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited July 2016
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Why is that? Do you have a bandwidth restriction or something..

How large of a file would say a 20 map DL be anyway ?

Please do not laugh :D
    Per month, 6 gb 1mbps ( Yes, 1 mega bits per second) - This part gets over in 2days.
    Then 512kbps "unlimited" for the rest of the month.
    1 map averages to 100 mb. There are 10s of maps in Beer_Me. Well, I could politely ask my PC to download overnight, but I heard they(beer_me) add 5 maps every week? I only play on weekends for fun. So thats so much of time spent downloading, for a match or two of fun.
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    TheTots For President!!! You got my vote!!!

LOL
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

I know this isn't a good system for people with slow connections. I hate there isn't an easy solution we can put in. For now it just is what it is, but it is something I'll make sure we take another look at when we can.

One thing that UMM servers can also do is to make collections in the workshop of all the maps they are using. Easy to set that to DL over night, and you'll always have their latest rotation.